TCG guitarists!

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I ordered a new nut and strings for my telecaster today. I want to get back into playing after being out of it for 12 years. I’ve made a half ass effort at trying to pick up guitar again in that time and it doesn’t stick. I’ll pull out my acoustic once or twice a year and jam for 20 minutes then hang it back up. That’s about it.

What do you guys do to stay interested in the hobby?

My biggest hurdle is finding songs I’m actually interested in learning. Fiddling around is only fun for so long without fresh material for inspiration. I listen to a lot of either electronic music or really technical metal stuff I’ll never be able to learn :bowrofl: I suppose this was a lot of my demise from playing guitar in the first place. Changing musical tastes

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
I play bass, I am the same as you where it will sit for 11 1/2 months of the year collecting dust and I will get a wild hair and pick it up for an hour or two.

To me it's not so much a new piece of music I heard that I want to learn it's more I have the time and the want to pick it up. Then it's 20-30 mins trying to remember all the songs I used to know and fumbling through them to get warmed up a bit.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
I used to play the Viola in grade school. Always wanted to play bass. Some how ended up on drums like the typical ADHD kid.

What do you guys do to stay interested in the hobby?

For me, it's always been about finding "the next thing" in terms of difficulty. For example, my very first songs I learned to play were 94 Hours by AILD and Laid to Rest by LoG. Now I'm trying to learn Dream Theater. :rofl:

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Playing since as a teen, haven’t played in clubs for many, many years.

I play 2 - 3 times a week while watching TV (Fender strat, plugged into a Marshall practice amp or not not plugged in at all). I cannot sit idle and watch TV. Need to be doing something.

I plug in the Ibanez and Les Paul to another Marshall amp a couple times a month.

Motivation? I simply enjoy playing and again, gives me something to do when watching particular shows. My kids get a kick out of it, sometimes they join in with a keyboard, singing, etc. My 3 yrs old has a kids acoustic so she joins in too. They are into anything Lynurd Skynyrd and Guns N’ Roses.

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

I sucked really really bad. I just sold the 1980 Gretsch Committee I bought when I was in the US Navy last spring :(
I really suck, no rhythm, no artistic ability of any kind, and the arthritis made it too painful to even pretend like I could play :(

I loved playing, but it was time to let someone that cared about her actually play her!!

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
I randomly play the guitar mostly because I have them hanging on the wall. Usually it ends up being one of the acoustics or my archtop because I don't have to plug them in. Also have a 4 string banjo and play piano ohh and blues harp. I tend to play the harmonica the most because it's in my pocket. I'll just be walking out to car or strolling around at work and play. For me it's just about leaving them where I see them. If I leave them in a case and tuck them away I almost forget I have them.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
My Musical tastes have changed massively over the years and for me the key is to roll with it. I am a Classical Trained Pianist and played since I was little kid. When I first started Guitar at around 15 it was all old skool Metallica and Anthrax followed soon by the Grunge and stuff like Rage against the Machine. Then somewhere in the late 90's I saw concert footage of Stevie Ray Vaughn which blew my mind and have been huge into the blues which lead me to learning the Blues Harmonica. lately its been a lot more Americana type music all acoustic and lead to me picking up a 4 string banjo and a Uke. Now Im more into the simple songs now with a guy and his guitar, more country leaning music and usually go for an acoustic or an acoustic Archtop with flat wound strings. I still do grab the Les Paul, crank the Distortion, and drive the Fiance nuts from time to time as I blow through old Metallica. I can't play all the Solos like I used to but I can still rock that shit well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info