HOA enacts policy for residents to keep garage doors open during the day

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Homeowner's Association Enacts Insane Policy Forcing Residents to Keep Garage Doors Open - The Drive

There are a lot of reasons to rag on homeowner's associations. When they're not making you get rid of your World War II Sherman tank, they're forcing you to keep your garage doors open all day in a bizarre quest to root out illegal tenants. Ah, the peace and quiet of the suburbs.

Fox 40 reports that the residents of Auburn Greens in Placer County, California were shocked to find notices taped to their doors informing them that their garage doors must be kept open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, effective immediately. The punishment for violating the rule is a $200 fine and an administrative hearing.

The unwanted open door policy reportedly came about after the homeowner's association discovered a neighbor was letting tenants live in their garage. Obviously, many residents have security-related concerns about the new rule, which offers no alternative means of protecting their belongings during the day. Some are ignoring the edict in protest, while others are getting proroactive.

“Fine, let me give you the $200 fine right now," neighbor Shally Ia told Fox 40. "Give me a month so I can get my stuff out, and I might as well clear everything out and leave the garage door open permanently because there is no point of having a garage door then."

Resident Fred Waidtlow echoed those sentiments to KCRA 3, telling the station that he'd already moved all of his belongings inside because the rule essentially made his garage useless.

"If we have to have this open from 8 in the morning to 4 in the afternoon, anybody can help themselves and steal you blind," he said.

KCRA 3 made numerous attempts to chase down the authors of the notice, but the Auburn Greens Unit 1 Homeowner's Association has so far refused to comment on the matter. A legal expert contacted by the station said that while the policy isn't illegal by the book, a judge would likely strike it down as unreasonable if residents were to challenge it in court.

That's not much comfort to people like nine-year-old Jason, who told Fox 40 he's "still a little worried" about his stuff getting stolen.

"I don’t think it’s a good idea because they are going to steal my bike," he said. "I’ve got an electric scooter, I've got an electric wheelchair, I’ve got all kinds of stuff. So, I just don’t think it’s very good to have it open."

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Not at all surprised.

Most people have a tendency to act like assholes when they get a taste of power, I.E. making decisions and enacting policies, in this case, as someone belonging to an HOA.

I feel all of them are the same. No problem taking your money, increasing the cost every year, not fixing anything, etc.

Wife and I are planning on selling in the next few years and buying some land and a single family. Cannot wait.

This is s a horrible idea and I'm sure this will open up the doors to lawsuits. You cannot expect people to leave their garage, whom in which most use it for storage. This attracts criminals and would-be criminals with ill-intent.

I hope this is crushed and no one is penalized.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
This is why I'll never live in a neighborhood run by an HOA.

That's just fucking ridiculous. I've heard all kinds of horror stories about HOA's, but this is one of the most bizarre.

"We're forcing you to keep your garage door open so we can search inside for anyone we don't like. If you don't comply, we'll fine you $200 per day and if you don't pay, we'll seize your home. Heil Hitler!"

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
I don't mind HOA's as long as they just maintain the parks, signage and appearance of the neighborhood. I pay mine $200/year and they keep the assholes in the neighborhood from being able to have their houses look like a scrap yard.

Definitely sounds common with HOA's. We pay shy of $400 a month and it goes up every year. Nothing really ever gets done.

They hate fixing things, they are not consistent with enforcing the rules to all tenants and to boot, the property manager is a complete cunt.

It boggles my mind why people in the article are supporting this, lol.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Ours changes management companies every few years and does absolutely nothing, yet we fork out $150 every year. They bill on Dec. 27th and expect payment on Jan 1st. Seriously! They don't do shit for us because the parks in the sub-division are maintained by the City of Elgin. The streets are plowed by the City of Elgin, it is policed by the city of Elgin, and the wetlands behind us are maintained by the U.S. Government. Oh, ok, maybe they keep the plants nice and the sign to the subdivision at the entrance painted nicely...

And they're assholes to deal with.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info