W/D crapped out. What brands to avoid

The Bluegrass Nomad

Five-oh ho no mo
Feb 4, 2011
Sadieville, KY
It happens to us every year around the New year. Something major breaks. Last year was the furnace, this year the washer and dryer within a few days of each other. Have repaired them multiple times over the past few years, but the wife is done with that and wants brand new. Have been eyeing Samsung frontloads, but I know nothing about Samsung as an appliance maker. Do they make sound appliances? What should I possibly look at otherwise, or stay away from? Thanks

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Love my Samsung washer and dryer. It was a model on a big recall they had but they fixed it no problem. You could either send the unit to Samsung and they reimburse or credit you, or give you a new overlay for the washer and send a tech out to reinforce the top portion of the washer. The recall was for top loading units only if I'm not mistaken.

Even with that recall, I'd still choose Samsung. Haven't had issues for the 3 years we've had them.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Fuck that my advice is get the simplest damn washer and dryer you can. Something with mechanical not electronic controls so that you don't have to worry about a board going out that's $400 and impossible to get.

My “high efficiency” washer that was with the house is the biggest pile of shit I’ve had the misfortune of using. The “agitator” is the size and thickness of a dinner plate and EVERY load causes the thing to become unbalanced.

+1 on buying the simplest W/D possible, and specifically a washer with a real agitator. Just trust me on this, you’ll thank me later.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Samsung washer break caused $50k damage to my house (1st for/basement). There is an ejector pump that removes the water from the tub. The plastic bracket attaches the pump to the bottom of the washer tub, broke. Pump dropped to the floor, disconnecting the tube from the bottom of the tub. Washer continuously attempted to fill the tub as water drained out for over an hour.

Technician came out and bolted the pump to the frame (new location), where according to him, it should have been installed to begin with.

Related to the known issue that resulted in the public recall? Don’t know, but I’m not taking another chance with a future washer.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
IIRC, this is what we have (Samsung's entry level HE front loaders):

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Samsung...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CPOz3q6ds9gCFRC8Twod6CoIbw

And the matching Gas dryer.

For what it worth, the washer had a 'weird' issue where it would only run for like 1 minute before shutting itself off. Turned to Google; didn't really get good information, then I realized that it has a 'hair trap' that I'm supposed to be cleaning out monthly :bowrofl:. Cleaned it out, and clear it from time to time, and its been dead-nuts problem free aside from that. (it wasn't draining fast enough, so it was terminating the cycle early, and providing some cryptic series of blinks trying to convey that).

The dryer has been bullet-proof since day one, both are over 2 years old now, and do an excellent job.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Fuck that my advice is get the simplest damn washer and dryer you can. Something with mechanical not electronic controls so that you don't have to worry about a board going out that's $400 and impossible to get.

Yup 100% this. ^^^. I have mismatched no frills washer and dryer. Old Sokol with just a big knob and a start button. In fact all the appliances are very basic in my place . Last time the fridge died I took a gamble and called this guy...

c6ef9bf6b9d69907f85236b96fb39620.jpg

It was $100 to Give the old fridge an overhaul. Also used him to fix the washer and again was very reasonable. He even said the older stuff he can keep running forever and not to buy anything with screens and digital buttons because they are impossible to fix. Plus he is a car guy and has his own sponsored drag race team. Only downside is he works a limited area.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Anything with "Kenmore" on it, the bulk of which is made by Whirlpool/Maytag. So if something goes wrong, it's with Whirlpool/Maytag engineering.

With that said, I have one of the fanciest Kenmore digital W&D's when they first came out with digital controls, steamers, fluffers, you name it. I think they're the Oasis mode line and they're now 10 years old and have had ZERO problem with it from a normal operational functionality standpoint. They run pretty much 24/7 too, so it's not just a matter of a once a week use kinda thing. The dryer gets used more because it has the steaming system to "refresh" things. and we're constantly throwing shit in there in the morning before we head out.

What I WILL say was a piss-poor design, again by Whirlpool/Maytag on it, is the lint collection system. We have nearly burned the house down twice because it gets places it shouldn't (I.E. the heating mechanism) in the bottom of the dryer, this despite annual cleanings, it literally starts a fire. Happened just before Christmas as a matter of fact. Put some clothes in for the Wife (she had a girls night out that night and asked me to switch things over). So I left the house to go to Best Buy, come back and smoke was billowing out from under it. I spent the rest of that Saturday with it in parts on my hallway floor cleaning it on my own.

At the other house, I have some basic Kenmore Series 80 W&D bought probably around 1995. ZERO issues whatsoever. I use those for my heavy duty stuff like dirty car towels, clothes, etc...

Point being, you don't need to have basic to avoid issues. They're all made cheaply regardless and pretty much any major repair to a basic or fancy one, it may just be cheaper to buy a new set regardless. Really appliances are become disposable Bic Lighters anymore.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info