Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Cross posting this from FB. Cause the more I watch, the more I agree with myself.

So I'm rewatching Mad Men and I kind of wish things from back then returned to the present. Actual conversation, dressing well, dinners without technology all around you, the music...the only thing that has carried over for me is the alcohol. Not saying none of that exists anymore but its not the norm. Am I just rambling? This post makes sense, right?

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
I yell at the wife if she touches her phone when we go out. Most of the bar/grill places we visit with friends we never touch our phones because we just shoot the shit. I will say that it's annoying to have everyone buried in their phones.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
So I'm rewatching Mad Men and I kind of wish things from back then returned to the present. Actual conversation, dressing well, dinners without technology all around you, the music...the only thing that has carried over for me is the alcohol. Not saying none of that exists anymore but its not the norm. Am I just rambling? This post makes sense, right?

Don't forget the muscle cars of the day too. :)

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
If I'm at a bar (which is once or twice a week), I'll fuck around on my phone b/c its one of those casual situations where conversation isnt constantly needed. At dinner, I try to not touch it. I'll leave it sitting out of habit but wont touch it...especially if I'm on a date.

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
If I'm at a bar (which is once or twice a week), I'll fuck around on my phone b/c its one of those casual situations where conversation isnt constantly needed. At dinner, I try to not touch it. I'll leave it sitting out of habit but wont touch it...especially if I'm on a date.

I think if i were in the dating scene and she touched her phone, i'd just up and leave :rofl:

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
YOu have to put things in perspective though. And this is why so many of them hate the new stuff is because they "grew up with..."

However, back in 1965, and you grew up in a regular Chevy sedan with a straight 6 with maybe 83hp was standard fare, and then Pontiac takes a small car, drops a 389 in it... Or Chrysler doing stuff, and then ford, and then GM again, etc, etc...

No emissions to worry about, who gave a shit about fuel economy or safety either...

Just stuff the biggest/most powerful motor you got, in the lightest platform you've got, and voila...

ChiLAX

TCG Elite Member
Mar 11, 2013
Chicago
YOu have to put things in perspective though. And this is why so many of them hate the new stuff is because they "grew up with..."

However, back in 1965, and you grew up in a regular Chevy sedan with a straight 6 with maybe 83hp was standard fare, and then Pontiac takes a small car, drops a 389 in it... Or Chrysler doing stuff, and then ford, and then GM again, etc, etc...

No emissions to worry about, who gave a shit about fuel economy or safety either...

Just stuff the biggest/most powerful motor you got, in the lightest platform you've got, and voila...
A lot of those muscle cars weren't as fast as people remember them, 14-15 seconds off the showroom floor was common. Like you said though, compared to the heavy sedan with 100 hp that was flying.

Emissions initially killed the performance car world, but once the engineers figured out ways to work with it, we ended up with some truly insane cars. Not to mention we're at the beginning of the electric car era.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Agreed, they weren't as fast as many remember them, but again, fuzzy old mammories could things sometimes...

We didn't start to see that craziness until mid-90's though... it took them 20 - 25 years before computing power got to the levels it did to run this stuff.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I don't think that was the takeaway from Mad Men :rofl:, but all those things you mention are easily achievable if you really desire. I hear the ad exec world isn't really that different 50 years later anyway.

What was your takeaway then? I dont think I'm wrong in saying that human interaction is not anywhere close to the same as back then (I understand that wasnt the point of the show of course).

I mean the show isnt historically accurate at all times either but a lot of it is something I wish stood the test of time.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
What was your takeaway then? I dont think I'm wrong in saying that human interaction is not anywhere close to the same as back then (I understand that wasnt the point of the show of course).

I mean the show isnt historically accurate at all times either but a lot of it is something I wish stood the test of time.

I don’t think there was just one, but many, like self awareness and fulfillment for Draper or empowerment like Joan. But not a “simpler times were better” message.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info