LOL God Bless sh*tbag tire shops....

OmniGLH

Regular
Apr 24, 2013
Huntley
So my usual routine - I pull into my parking garage, park, kill a minute or two scrolling through my emails with the car running, then shut it down and walk to the office.

As I shut the car down, I get the "tire pressure" alert - passenger rear tire down 13psi. Hmmm. Hop out, take a look... yep, looks low.

I contemplate digging the spare out (one of those compact deflated kinds with a cigarette-lighter-powered air pump)... then realize that immediately behind my parking garage is a Cassidy Tire.

F it - just drive it over, have them patch it. Still ~33psi in the tire (door panel says use 46) so not a problem to limp it a block.

Should be straightforward - patch it, I'll be by at lunch to pick it up.

Guy calls me at 11:30, all done... but "Man you REALLY need tires on this thing. We're having a sale today, I've also got your tires in stock, I'll go ahead and schedul- "

- What? Needs tires? How so?

"Oh man these are totally worn out, I can't believe you were even driving on them."

- Is the leak fixed?

"Well, I mean, yeah, we fixed it - but you really nee-"

- Cool, I'm good with just the patch. I'll come by to pick it up.

So I get over there.

Young kid behind the counter in his dress uniform (khakis and polo)... and some fat fuck in a greasy grey hoodie.

As I walk in, fat guy says to the kid, "That him?" Kid nods.

I get up to the counter. Fat guy starts in.

"Oh man you REEAAALLLY need tires on that thing. It's dangerous to drive it right now - I really shouldn't even let you leave on them."

- Really? How so?

"Oh man they are totally worn out. I can get you done in an hour if you just want to take a seat."

- I *just* put tires on it this spring. I find it hard to believe...

"I wouldn't even drive on them. How many miles have you put on them so far?"

- About 20k.

"Ohhhh yeah. You're past due. Those Porsche Cayennes and Audi Q7s need tires every 10,000 miles."

- BULLSHIT!

"No man it's true, I see it all the time."

- Great. I want that all in writing on the ticket. Please note your professional opinion, the wear spec, and the measurement, detailing just how below spec they are. They have a 60k treadwear warranty so I'll take it back to the guys that sold me these. Besides, the car was JUST at the dealer last week for service, they do a full inspection, and nobody said ANYTHING to me about the tires being "dangerous" so I'm going to hit them up for falsifying their inspection report, because I haven't put 500 miles on the car since it was at the dealer.

"FINE MAN WHATEVER I'LL PUT WHATEVER YOU WANT ON THE TICKET FINE" (suddenly VERY defensive)

- Thank you! (with a big smile... you fat fuck prick...)

..... then the guy walks away. Literally walked away mid-conversation with the young kid at the counter, who took over running my CC for the patch job.

He hands over the receipt and *shocker* there's nothing noted on there about dangerous tires, out of spec, etc.

I tell the kid, "Hey, there's nothing on here...."

"Oh, um... *stammer*... yeah uh there's no way for our system to do that. I can show you but I can't put anything like that on the ticket...."

Riiiiiight.

Of course - PLENTY of tread on the tires. My guess - I've got at least another 10-15k (it's a Cayenne, I drive it hard) life left.

Had it been my wife in there, and not me - she would've gotten hosed. (Well, maybe not my wife, as she'd likely have called me from the tire shop in a panic vs. just giving them carte blanche...)

So - Cassidy Tire on Canal just south of Kinzie in the city? Stay away lol.

Or don't - and go in there and fuck with them... clearly used to hosing stupid people.

Here's a snippet of the receipt... "No way to note that on the ticket..."
25508197_10155033251547327_5370900588036729012_n.jpg

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Tire shops should tell you when you are at 6/32nds and below and/or notify you of tire malfunctions. But that wouldn't get that guy his xmas bonus so they sell you whenever they can.

Audi and Porsche owners have money to burn and they fall for it. Then hombre probably sells the used tires on the side!

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
ive had the out most edge wear but the 90% of the rest of the tire be at 70% life. and at DT, oh man your tires are bald. how so. well we have to leagally read the tire form it lowest point, so the 1/10" next to he sidewall that wears makes your tires are bald. the rest is still in great shape.

OmniGLH

Regular
Apr 24, 2013
Huntley
Shocked that Cassidy would pull that. I've never understood that location. I wouldn't see it as being profitable.

First (and only) time going in there. I walk past it every day. Outside looks like a total sh*thole - but I was actually impressed with the waiting room. Nothing like the exterior.

Guy was clearly trying to roll the hard sell - my guess is he was gonna "teach" the kid behind the counter something (?)

He got SUPER defensive, in a very attacking sort of way. FINE SURE I'LL PUT IT ON THE TICKET SURE FINE FINE!

Must've marked me as another one of those rich dumb Porch owners. *shrug*

OmniGLH

Regular
Apr 24, 2013
Huntley
ive had the out most edge wear but the 90% of the rest of the tire be at 70% life. and at DT, oh man your tires are bald. how so. well we have to leagally read the tire form it lowest point, so the 1/10" next to he sidewall that wears makes your tires are bald. the rest is still in great shape.

I brought a set of wheels in to have the tires "flipped" on the track rat this past fall at a local Discount Tire. Inside edge was pretty worn but the car's got a lot of camber (3.5 degrees) and I just needed them to last me the last few weeks of fall - I'll order up a set in the spring.

I had a "name" to go to at the local Discount Tire. Unfortunately "name" wasn't there... got some other numbnuts who had his tire depth gauge.

--- I know dude, they're track tires, I just need them flipped so if I get caught in the wet over the next month or two, I'll have some tread

"Well they're below the limit... I can't..."

--- dude just fucking flip them, I don't want to drive all the way down to my buddy's shop in Downers Grove to do it....

"Well I'll have to ask my manager...."

.... manager comes out...

"These are track tires."

--- Yes.

"Dude go flip these. Sir, they'll be ready in 15 minutes, have a seat."

At least with his case, the inside edge WAS worn...

OmniGLH

Regular
Apr 24, 2013
Huntley
I hate all auto shops, bunch of shysters. The only one i'd ever trust is discount tire, i worked there in high school and they're a stand-up group in my experience

Yeah never been scammed by them but then again I only use them to have tires mounted when I'm too lazy to drive to a buddy's place. There's a Discount 5 miles from my house - buddy's place is 50 minutes one way.

They always give me the hard sell when I bring tires for them to mount.... "Why'd you buy these from Tire Rack? I can beat their prices" but yet, no, they never, ever can....

But yeah I have a tough time with most auto shops. I generally do the work myself... tho cars under warranty still go to the dealer (been hosed one too many times on warranty in the past...) If it's something I absolutely can't or don't want to do, I take it to places where I personally know the guys running the show (though after my Cayman issues even THAT blew up in my face...)

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I'll never go back to one of those places. I stopped by one a few years back, also to fix a leaky tire. They did a great job fixing the tire. But it looked like they used a crowbar to remove the tire. The rim was beat to shit. I called him on it and he said there was no way they did that.

Well I must have ran over a crowbar on the way to work that morning because it wasn't there when I left the house. I know because I was checking out the tire/wheel and that much damage would have caught my eye.

Of course I could do was piss and moan like an impotent jerk and then bend over and take it up the tail pipe.
MovieQuiz_2072-2.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info