Christmas lights

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
So I am a glutton for punishment and love tinkering. Hence I started down the path of the most complicated christmas lights I can find.

Around 250 RGB LED nodes in a basic outline for now. Hoping to add eaves and outline the rest of the house for next year along with build some small trees/snowflakes.

First iteration
260 or so RGB nodes
F4V2 4-Port Pixel Controller
Raspberry PI with sequences
Old wifi router/switch.
200w 12v power supply.

https://youtu.be/sC2Sll6amNA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMrQz62nxw0&feature=youtu.be

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
What did you do to keep them on your gutter?

You can get gutter hooks. No damage and easy to remove.

I did the lights for me and a few neighbors. I've been tinkering with the idea of adding music to it.

1896862_10203343012113112_1080268445300049587_n.jpg

A photo doesn't do it justice but I can't find the video at the moment. The lights in the trees flicker down to create a snowing effect.

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
I would hire you, no fooling

You can get gutter hooks. No damage and easy to remove.

I did the lights for me and a few neighbors. I've been tinkering with the idea of adding music to it.

1896862_10203343012113112_1080268445300049587_n.jpg

A photo doesn't do it justice but I can't find the video at the moment. The lights in the trees flicker down to create a snowing effect.

firemandan1700

Bite my shiny metal ass
Apr 6, 2008
LaSalle County
There is a guy who I went to school with who I know who does xmas lights and lighting effects on his house. He made the news channels between the quad cities to wgn last year for his display. (Obvious Cubs fan)

Here is his facebook link. He is a computer guru so him taking the time to do this does not surprise me one bit.

So enjoy!!

https://www.facebook.com/quesselights/

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
just curious, what does a strand of those LED pixels cost approx? I've always been doing the same old 15-20 strands of stock clear mini lights plugged into a digital timer and its getting stale :rofl:

So you have two choices you have RGB nodes which go for around 20 dollars for 50 feet.
Smart / Pixel RGB LED Node 8mm/12mm / 12v / 2811 / 50 Node String / 3" Spacing / Black / Waterproof Plugs

The easier choice for house outlines is RGB strip lights
Smart / Pixel RGB LED Strip 30 LEDs/m 10 Pixels/m / Pre-Attached 6 Inch Waterproof Cables / Waterproof Tube (16ft-6in/5 meter Roll) - 12v / 2811 / RGB Color Output Order

There are other places to order from but I just wanted to show what is available. I am actually doing my next order with a guy who does a huge group by after the holidays for a lot cheaper and then you get them around mid summer.

It is getting easier but this is still a lot of tinkering to get it to work right vs just plugging them in. If you want to do a proof of concept and are into Arduino they can be run that way also.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
So you have two choices you have RGB nodes which go for around 20 dollars for 50 feet.
Smart / Pixel RGB LED Node 8mm/12mm / 12v / 2811 / 50 Node String / 3" Spacing / Black / Waterproof Plugs

The easier choice for house outlines is RGB strip lights
Smart / Pixel RGB LED Strip 30 LEDs/m 10 Pixels/m / Pre-Attached 6 Inch Waterproof Cables / Waterproof Tube (16ft-6in/5 meter Roll) - 12v / 2811 / RGB Color Output Order

There are other places to order from but I just wanted to show what is available. I am actually doing my next order with a guy who does a huge group by after the holidays for a lot cheaper and then you get them around mid summer.

It is getting easier but this is still a lot of tinkering to get it to work right vs just plugging them in. If you want to do a proof of concept and are into Arduino they can be run that way also.

That's not bad at all. I like that they run off 12VDC voltage, my eyes cant stand that subtle flickering you get from the basic 120V AC powered LED Christmas lights. Definitely looking into this for next year, my wife would enjoy it for sure.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info