Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
So for probably most of this year, I had Hobbes on one type of food. He only eats dry as hes a fucking snob now and wont eat wet anymore (even though he used to be on a strict raw and wet diet years back). Anyway, for whatever reason, I thought I'd change his diet to a brand Ive used in the past...this was around 11/10 (maybe a bit before). I did a poor job of weening him off one brand to the other and sure enough, he got SUPER backed up to the point where he was mega constipated. It finally got bad enough that I almost had to take him to the vet off hours but he finally took a human size log on my carpet and was semi back to a normal shit schedule.

I have since put him on the Science brand since its vet recommended for healthy shits and better GI movements. His turds are mostly small balls now, no smell. He goes once a day now typically, no out of box accidents.

My question, now with that story told, is he seems to throw up a bit more than usual....he rarely ever pukes unless hes sick but since the food shake up, hes puked a handful of times in the past few weeks. This morning, for example, he was sleeping on the bed with me, then jumped off, puked and went on his way. I came downstairs to check the rest of the house, no puke. His food bowl was empty (not much was left last night) so I filled it. He took a few bites, went to the first floor, puked a tiny bit and carried on about his morning.

Could the puking just be part of the dietary shake up? I dont think he has his usual blockage as hes going to the bathroom and I'm pretty good at telling when hes ingested a foreign object (years of practice, plus he cries). I know I should just make a vet appointment but he absolutely hates going there and I end up bloody trying to get him there...the vets also dont like working with him b/c for like 4 years straight he was there having stomach surgeries and needles stuck in him and he gets aggressive with them....its just a mess.

ANYWAY, I'm asking if any of you pet owners have experiences something similar with diet changes. Long story short :rofl:

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Was it just watery puke, fur ball, or was there food substance to it? My cats puke from time to time... but we haven't had to change their food mainly because they love the dry stuff we feed them now and they're fat and happy. Although I DO think we've changed FLAVORS a couple times, we haven't changed brands.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
There was small bits of food in it both times this morning. I didnt notice any hair.

The only other thing I'm thinking might be happening, is I've got my flannel bed sheets on now and they "shed".....he could be licking up the flannel furballs because hes an idiot and its upsetting his stomach.

The only reason I changed up his diet is because I didnt like how he shit on said brand...they smelled and were kind of gross :rofl: His turds are much more "normal" now, although a bit on the dry side.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I was just gonna ask, was it actual puke or more of a hairball. I was bad about it with my cat, but weekly, I would try to put something called petromalt on his paw, which he'd lick off, and it was to help with the fur balls.

If it's puke, it could very well be an upset stomach or perhaps an allergy to that food you tried changing too. Our dog, if it isn't Purina 1 Chicken and Rice, his stomach doesn't like it. I once screwed up and got lamb and rice and he was throwing up all night.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
He very very rarely gets hairballs, almost never. I'm hoping its just the diet change as it hasnt even been a month yet and I basically just changed him over without taking the week or so to transition (which you 100% should do).

His demeanor and personality remain the same. Not really changes in that...so I'm leaning towards just upset stomach.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
My money is on diet changes. If he keeps puking you might want to change brands again, might just be something in the food not agreeing with him.

My parents were having problems with this from one of their cats, had allergy tests done and it turns out the cat is like allergic to everything under the sun and they now have to give her a special food from the vets and shes been good since.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Yea, it could be color enhancers/dye's other "filler" in the food that you switched to that just didn't agree with them initially. If you kept up with the new food, they'd actually get used to it most likely, but that would take time.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Is it possible that he likes this food a lot and eats it too fast? The only time Carl pukes is when he inhales his whole 1/4 cup in one sitting. He’ll wander off and yack on the carpet then come back and demand food :rofl:.

Did the blue wilderness block Hobbes up? Carl has been on that since day one and his poops smell like a humans, it’s awful. I think it’s because it’s all protein based with no grains.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Is it possible that he likes this food a lot and eats it too fast? The only time Carl pukes is when he inhales his whole 1/4 cup in one sitting. He’ll wander off and yack on the carpet then come back and demand food :rofl:.

Did the blue wilderness block Hobbes up? Carl has been on that since day one and his poops smell like a humans, it’s awful. I think it’s because it’s all protein based with no grains.

This is what I had him on most of the year (since April) -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018CIPS8/?tag=tcg21-20

And then I switched him back to -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XDPV2QG/?tag=tcg21-20 (a brand he used to eat) and he immediately got mega blocked up...likely my fault.

Now I have him on -

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003MA8P02/?tag=tcg21-20

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
My dog does that too often. He'll sit at his bowl and just eat the entire thing without chewing AT ALL, then drink too much, walk 10' away and puke the entire thing on the floor. The ashamed look on his face almost makes up for having to clean up his mess.

Thor also inhales his food but never pukes.

He's also a picky asshole. New flavor of Taste of the Wild? Eat it for a day and hates it. Puppy TOTW? Eat it for a day and hates it. Megan has been making gourmet fucking meals with real chicken and what not. Couple days went by, now he won't eat that.

The things we do for love.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
How old is the cat Mike?

We used to feed our baby girl friskies and science but then realized all of the crap that is in it. Now we give her really good (but expensive branded foods) and she likes it a lot better.

Puking can be dietary. In our case, our cat has thyroid issues and we recently put her through the radiation process. Prior to this, she would puke both food and hairballs on a daily basis, nearly every single day consistently. This was with healthy food. Now that the thyroid is under control, she only has hair balls every once and a while. She is 14 BTW and acts like she's a younger cat.

Check out some of the good brands of food on Chewy.com. You'll obviously pay more, but, your cat may take a liking to it and not get the agitation from "bad" food any longer. Worth a shot before you bring him into the vet.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Oh I'm well aware of the good brands. Thats all hes ever been on...but his shits have always been brutal on them and I felt he was a bit overweight while eating them. I'm giving science a try b/c of the supposed GI benefits and so far, from a purely bathroom habbits side, its doing a good job.

Hes 6.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
My dog does that too often. He'll sit at his bowl and just eat the entire thing without chewing AT ALL, then drink too much, walk 10' away and puke the entire thing on the floor. The ashamed look on his face almost makes up for having to clean up his mess.

At least he has an ashamed look. The cat just saunters over and acts like you never fed him in the first place.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info