500whp out of a 5.3 N/A???

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Purchased a 5.3 from 70 deville over the weekend. Dont have a car to drop it in yet but have my eyes on a couple of different G Bodies. Hoping to be at or around 500whp N/A for under $3k, is that doabale or wishful thinking? This will be my 1st non Mopar build, so I have no clue about these LS motors. People have told me h/c/i should get me around 500 to the crank. I have also heard LS6 heads vs aftermarket heads is the way to go. Again, I am clueless on what works and doesnt work on these motors. Any and all help/suggestions is much appreciated as I'm looking to get started on this project asap!

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
for the those who don't want to read through the whole thread I linked (it is 6 pages).

At minimum ported 243/799 heads but AFR 215's are ideal. Cam and spring upgrade with consideration of needing to spin it to 7500 rpm. 1 7/8 headers fast 102 intake, ls7 lifters. There is a good cam spec in that thread and it looks to be aggressive.

By all accounts the guys over on Ls1 tech say in theory the limiting factor is the small bore cylinders limiting what head/valve size you can run. 620 flywheel is what they are saying is the theoretical max limit of the 5.3 n/a

Again it can be done, but to hit that 500rwhp mark your looking at aftermarket heads and intake which will cost you at least 2k right there.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
for the those who don't want to read through the whole thread I linked (it is 6 pages).

At minimum ported 243/799 heads but AFR 215's are ideal. Cam and spring upgrade with consideration of needing to spin it to 7500 rpm. 1 7/8 headers fast 102 intake, ls7 lifters. There is a good cam spec in that thread and it looks to be aggressive.

By all accounts the guys over on Ls1 tech say in theory the limiting factor is the small bore cylinders limiting what head/valve size you can run. 620 flywheel is what they are saying is the theoretical max limit of the 5.3 n/a

Again it can be done, but to hit that 500rwhp mark your looking at aftermarket heads and intake which will cost you at least 2k right there.

i was confused because the post says crank hp, and the title says whp.

if it's whp, i agree with you, but 500 crank i think is doable for 3k in budget. he already has the engine.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood

if it's whp, i agree with you, but 500 crank i think is doable for 3k in budget. he already has the engine.
Sorry for the confusion. Yes I want to be at around 500whp, what I was saying is that I was told H/C/I would put me at 500 to the crank. Not my goal with the build its just what I was told. So I just read all 6 pages on the link that Cap posted. I guess I need to lower my expectations, increase my budget or go turbo lol.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL

ya 500 crank should be doable depending on machine work for that budget.

LS6 intake
used 243's and have them worked over a bit.
Cam and spring upgrade lS7 lifters
Headers

That should get there

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Sorry for the confusion. Yes I want to be at around 500whp, what I was saying is that I was told H/C/I would put me at 500 to the crank. Not my goal with the build its just what I was told. So I just read all 6 pages on the link that Cap posted. I guess I need to lower my expectations, increase my budget or go turbo lol.

:werd:

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Not sure if the budget is there to go turbo.
Just for shits and giggles what would a ballpark cost be to go turbo.
Would probably have to be 100% done at a shop as I dont have the resources to get that done in my garage.

Wish I could tell you.

Food for thought, my Corvette had the TFS heads/cam package with 255 heads and made 490 to the wheels (or depending on which dyno you'd like to use, 450 or 550 :s00ls:). But that's a 6.2 with a $3200 head/cam package and $1200 American Racing headers.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
Yeah, he's considering a turbo build, look above.

oh. (cracks knuckles)

well then.......

stock 5.3
arp head bolts
fresh head gaskets
valve springs
trunion upgraded rockers
turbo cam
ported ls6 pump

stock 4l80e with HD2 shift kit
converter of your choice

walbro 450 pump
-8an feed line
-6 an return line
-boost reference regulator
-uncapped truck injectors

VS racing s475 clone
ebay 60-ish mm waste gate
ebay 50-ish mm BOV
ebay a2a intercooler

.DONE.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info