Mad Mike Hughes Launches Rocket (finally)

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
... so we can see the rocket fail like a North Korea nuke launch.

EDIT: LAUNCH IS IN POST #31.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...-launch-over-california-ghost-town/888059001/

Hughes is a 61-year-old limo driver who’s spent the last few years building a steam-powered rocket out of salvage parts in his garage. His project has cost him $20,000, which includes Rust-Oleum paint to fancy it up and a motor home he bought on Craigslist that he converted into a ramp.

His first test of the rocket will also be the launch date — Saturday , when he straps into his homemade contraption and attempts to hurtle over the ghost town of Amboy, California. He will travel about a mile at a speed of roughly 500 mph.

636469342884205677-ROCKET.jpeg

Last edited:

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Two more days to go and the guy's story is sounding shakier. He claims to already have made a shorter trip. I'm thinking con man out for publicity rather than wacko rocket builder. We'll find out on Saturday.

Reporter doesn't seem to be a math whiz, either (1,800 feet wasn't "miles" last time I looked).

A California man intends to launch himself 1,800 feet high on Saturday in a home-built rocket to prove that astronauts faked the shape of the Earth.

Mike Hughes, a 61-year-old limo driver, said his stunt will be the first phase of the flat-Earth space program, sponsored by Research Flat Earth, a group that believes Earth is, well, flat.

The rocket should travel about a mile at a speed of roughly 500 mph.

“If you’re not scared to death, you’re an idiot,” Hughes said. “It’s scary as hell, but none of us are getting out of this world alive. I like to do extraordinary things that no one else can do, and no one in the history of mankind has designed, built and launched himself in his own rocket.”

He claims to have built the steam-powered rocket out of scrap metal parts in his garage. The project cost around $20,000, including the purchase of a motor home off Craigslist that was converted into a ramp.

The daredevil’s aim is to get miles above Earth and snap a photo, proving that astronauts conspired to fabricate the shape of the planet.

Rocket launch will prove Earth is flat, California man says | Fox News

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Whats funny is you could buy a weather ballon and launch a camera into space and then recapture it when it hits the ground for less then $100.

The Earth is not flat, people do this shit all the time (launching cameras into LEO) and everytime the earth is fucking round in the pictures.

This dude is just a fuck twad.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Mad Mike Hughes has some problems. He is now saying the government won't let him launch from public lands. The launch needs to be moved to private land.

Also, his motorhome broke down.

Hughes said he had originally intended to arrive in Amboy on Wednesday to start setting up the rocket. The BLM’s denial, along with some technical difficulties – a motor in his modified motor home quit working for a day – threw a wrench into his plans, according to Hughes.

“I don’t see [the launch] happening until about Tuesday, honestly,” he said. “It takes three days to set up. . . .You know, it’s not easy because it’s not supposed to be easy.”

Assuming the 500-mph, mile-long flight through the Mojave Desert does not kill him, Hughes told the Associated Press, his journey into the atmosflat will mark the first phase of his ambitious flat-Earth space program.

The dream continues...

A California flat-Earther’s plan to launch himself in a homemade rocket just hit a speed bump – The Denver Post

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info