What to do v. Led garage lighting

willsmysticcobra

Classifieds Mod
Mar 3, 2006
Algonquin
Hey all

Looking to upgrade my electric ballast T12 fixtures from old school F40 glass tube bulbs to an LED set up.

What are you all running ? I should have done more research, but I picked up a ten pack of these ...

a8cfe09eed727a89979a9355d559dc4e.jpg

But to my dismay they were only a tick brighter than my glass tube and were a cold 4k color blue ( think laboratory )

I noticed there are higher lumen lamps that require some ballast modification / use of " non shunted tombstone " connectors etc....

GTvert90

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 10, 2016
Machesney Park
Real Name
Phil
Looking forward to suggestions but I was looking for a higher watt LED bulb like something like these on amazon. I realize I would have to directly wire them and bypass a ballast.

988996cfdb7d22921bff6fb6eb0e5511.png
I thought the ballast needed to be changed too. Till they relamped at work and didn't change the ballasts. The electrician said there was no need ?*♂️

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood

They're really bright, but we decided LED's were worth the slight bump in cost over them. We did a head to head in our warehouse before I redid all the lighting over the metal halides and 8' fluorescent bulbs we were using.

The problem is you are still worried about having spare bulbs around and T5 bulbs aren't that cheap. On top of which you're still using a lot more power than a LED light will use.

When I put the LED high bay on a kill-a-watt it was pulling 105 watts when it was running, the T5 fixture pulled around 220 watts (4-54w bulbs), so it would double the electricity cost over the LED units.

We run them at 8-10 hours a day and we've replaced the T5 bulbs twice in the past two years, while every single LED is running along with no problems.

The T5 gives off more light, but I don't think it's enough to justify the extra costs.

Plus you know the high bay units aren't for surface mounting correct? I dont know how high your garage ceilings are, but they need room around them to cool. I have them all on 3' chains here at work.

We're running these fixtures:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithoni...White-LED-High-Bay-Light-IBH-11L-MV/203812710

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
I picked up 4 of the Costco led shop lights since they were on sale for $20/each. I also had 2 motion sense led shop lights that I got earlier on from Costco. They made a nice difference. Next I’m going to run some LED lights on the lift so I can see everything under the car.

Before
b557dc4c0d65ad2bc8745c46877c0a4f.jpg

After
e53afb3ed3b7db64aed25a2aeec02531.jpg

where are you going to put them on the lift itself?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info