New Fridge Won't Stop Leaking

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
We had a new fridge installed in July and basically since the day it was installed the water dispenser has been dripping. I pointed this out to the guys at install and they said it needed to be bled by running 5 or so gallons through the dispenser. And so I did that. It kept leaking.

Every 7 - 8 hours it fills the drip tray and starts dripping down the front of the fridge. So I thought to myself, no big deal, I'll have Whirlpool come out and fix it. They come out a week ago (my lazy ass took 3 months to call) and the guy tells me there's air in my pipes. I tell him that's impossible because the old fridge didn't leak. He proceeds to tell me that he can tell by the way it's dripping that it's air in my pipes and that it's not the valve on the fridge. I feel like I know better but what can I do?

I don't have any of the other tell-tale signs of air in the lines and even if there was air in the lines, I can't understand how that would push water past a closed valve. Also I are not smart when it comes to appliances.

WTF should I do? I'm spending a small fortune on paper towels.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Oh believe me. I've done it a bunch of times but no change. I guess that's if the air is in the fridge's lines. This guy said it's in my home's pipes.

Sounds like they just don't want to fix it.

Yeah, this does not make much sense to me at all. I think they are just assuming so they dont have to fix.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
What kind of fridge? Might be an ongoing problem with a certain model of fridge?

My parents bought an Electrolux, and the fridge was beautiful, works great, looks great, but the ice maker would stop working every 2 months on it. Finally enough people were complaining that they got a new fridge and that one was considered a lemon.

I actually took it because it was a $3,000 fridge at the time, I just use ice trays. :s00ls:

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
What kind of fridge? Might be an ongoing problem with a certain model of fridge?

My parents bought an Electrolux, and the fridge was beautiful, works great, looks great, but the ice maker would stop working every 2 months on it. Finally enough people were complaining that they got a new fridge and that one was considered a lemon.

I actually took it because it was a $3,000 fridge at the time, I just use ice trays. :s00ls:

Whirlpool

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
We have a similar problem with our fancy intelligent Kenmore (the one with all the digital controls on the front), but for the ice maker. It got to a point, where I just shut off the water feed for it in the basement.

It would fill up the drainage tray, then mold up, smell like shit (literally), causing us to have to pull out the 6,000 pound monster, clean it all up, put it back, rinse lather and repeat every couple of weeks. And I couldn't get any resolve here, so fuck it.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Whirlpool

72Ade-q1.jpg

I mean to look up the make and model to see if there are more people with the same problem....

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
We have a similar problem with our fancy intelligent Kenmore (the one with all the digital controls on the front), but for the ice maker. It got to a point, where I just shut off the water feed for it in the basement.

It would fill up the drainage tray, then mold up, smell like shit (literally), causing us to have to pull out the 6,000 pound monster, clean it all up, put it back, rinse lather and repeat every couple of weeks. And I couldn't get any resolve here, so fuck it.

My parents just kept calling and making records till they finally just said "come pick out a new fridge"

Then we slipped the delivery guys $100 to bring the old fridge to my house across town. :rofl:

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
It wasn't that big of a deal for us because that feature wasn't one we used anyway. On that fridge or any of the prior units. It's just more or less a standard feature on fridge's once you get to that level, so you're stuck with it.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
The manufacturers don't spread the news that refrigerators need maintenance to work properly. The ice through the door can freeze up and get blocked. Most people leave it blocked and get all kinds of problems. The water through door valves don't close firmly. I tell people to slowly remove their glass on mine so it shuts off properly and doesn't drip. I also keep a paper towel in there unless I'm showing off the house.

Biggest failures are the ice makers. Plenty of things to go wrong. My laser on/off stopped working so I ordered the part. Before it arrived, it started working again and has kept working since then. At least I have the part when it does break.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Yeah see you guys keep saying that and I tend to agree but I don't want to call and put my foot down like an asshole and then be wrong and find out that the problem actually is on my end.

Am I right in thinking that regardless of whether or not there's air in my pipes, the fridge shouldn't be leaking? That just seems absurd to me. If that was the case why would any other valve in my house not also be leaking.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
do you have high water pressure? Common issue for leaky ice makers/dispensers. They make pressure reducing/regulating valves to regulate the water pressure to the fridge.

He said it was very high at the wall and that he could basically turn it a few millimeters past full closed and it would have full flow at the fridge but he didn't suggest that that could be the problem. You think I should go out and grab one of those regulators?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info