Amazon Key

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
I mean it's pretty cool, but seeing the company they use for their same day/next day shipping, I wouldn't do it. If it were strictly for my regular UPS guy (which I see a lot and talk to him regularly for the 2 seconds he's there) sure.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
I mean it's pretty cool, but seeing the company they use for their same day/next day shipping, I wouldn't do it. If it were strictly for my regular UPS guy (which I see a lot and talk to him regularly for the 2 seconds he's there) sure.

Yeah...I've had some "rough" looking folks drop off some Amazon packages. Not from UPS/FedEx/USPS

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Helllll no.

All it takes is one vulnerability in the device or app and anyone can now get into your house.

Also 2 years from now when Amazon stops supporting older models and stops providing updates...you are now stuck with a useless lock and are forced to upgrade.

Someone told me that when I got a Schlage smart lock a couple years back. I think its a BS argument, because I can get in anyone's house I want a hell of a lot easier than hacking their smart lock!

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
Yeah...I've had some "rough" looking folks drop off some Amazon packages. Not from UPS/FedEx/USPS

Yep- it's Dynamex- which has shitty ratings as a company, and it seems like they hire anyone. Had a rough looking dude show up in an early 90s civic that i swear didn't make it up my driveway apron so he parked in the street :rofl:

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Someone told me that when I got a Schlage smart lock a couple years back. I think its a BS argument, because I can get in anyone's house I want a hell of a lot easier than hacking their smart lock!
Yeah but schlage is a known brand for locks and has always been doing locks. They have a rep to keep up and is good at supporting their products for a long time.

Amazon is not a lock company.

I'd buy a schlage smart Lock, I wouldn't buy a Amazon lock where their drivers can unlock it remotely and the control is also in someone else's hands instead of just your own.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
This reminds me. gotta buy new locks for the house.

The side door has a nice key pad style lock tho and i'll have to figure out if the lock cylinder is changable
Most cylinders are, if you don't want to do it, a locksmith most likely can but it's pretty easy. Also change the key pad code obviously.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Yeah but schlage is a known brand for locks and has always been doing locks. They have a rep to keep up and is good at supporting their products for a long time.

Amazon is not a lock company.

I'd buy a schlage smart Lock, I wouldn't buy a Amazon lock where their drivers can unlock it remotely and the control is also in someone else's hands instead of just your own.

Yeah...but my point is; Anyone can just go to your back door and kick it in without a problem. Or punch a window in. I feel like door locks really give us all a false sense of security.

That said...I agree, I couldn't get myself to let a third party (company or driver) have control over my door locks.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Helllll no.

All it takes is one vulnerability in the device or app and anyone can now get into your house.

Also 2 years from now when Amazon stops supporting older models and stops providing updates...you are now stuck with a useless lock and are forced to upgrade.

Most of the smart home devices are nothing but programmable logic controllers (PLC's) which have virtually no security built into them. These devices have been around since the 50's and with the internet of things (IoT) have opened up whole new doors in security vulnerabilities.

There are ways to tighten up the security such as airgapping them from your internal wireless network and preventing them from internet access (which pretty much defeats the IoT purpose).

I was at a cyber security task force meeting a few months back where the IT director of Chamberlain garage doors was a panelist and I honestly felt bad for the guy as he was getting hammered in regards to security of his companies products.

What's even scarier is that most of the US's infrastructure (power plants, street lights etc) run off these same PLC's which is why you hear so much in the news of China and Russia hacking our grid (they successfully have many times).

To not totally get off topic there is no way in hell I would let anyone from a delivery company inside my house/garage. I would rather have a waterproof box on the stoop of my doorstep and then use the same example of providing amazon a key or code.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Most of the smart home devices are nothing but programmable logic controllers (PLC's) which have virtually no security built into them. These devices have been around since the 50's and with the internet of things (IoT) have opened up whole new doors in security vulnerabilities.

There are ways to tighten up the security such as airgapping them from your internal wireless network and preventing them from internet access (which pretty much defeats the IoT purpose).

I was at a cyber security task force meeting a few months back where the IT director of Chamberlain garage doors was a panelist and I honestly felt bad for the guy as he was getting hammered in regards to security of his companies products.

What's even scarier is that most of the US's infrastructure (power plants, street lights etc) run off these same PLC's which is why you hear so much in the news of China and Russia hacking our grid (they successfully have many times).

To not totally get off topic there is no way in hell I would let anyone from a delivery company inside my house/garage. I would rather have a waterproof box on the stoop of my doorstep and then use the same example of providing amazon a key or code.
Agreed.

Unless you have a network background, it's very hard for a normal consumer to secure IoT devices while still remaining completely functional which is very unfortunate.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Yeah...but my point is; Anyone can just go to your back door and kick it in without a problem. Or punch a window in. I feel like door locks really give us all a false sense of security.

That said...I agree, I couldn't get myself to let a third party (company or driver) have control over my door locks.
Well of course :rofl: but that leaves obvious proof someone broke in.

Hacking a smart Lock would leave zero trace of even being in the house unless you have cameras.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I actually try to buy IoT devices that DO NOT require a third party service, thus allowing my devices to be completely blocked off from the internet. Then I just setup a VPN and use that to access my smart devices remotely.

That's my complaint against my garage door opener and ecobee...it requires you to use their webserver for login and accessibility. So the devices have to have internet access. If they stop supporting it, you are forced to upgrade.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
I actually try to buy IoT devices that DO NOT require a third party service, thus allowing my devices to be completely blocked off from the internet. Then I just setup a VPN and use that to access my smart devices remotely.

That's my complaint against my garage door opener and ecobee...it requires you to use their webserver for login and accessibility. So the devices have to have internet access. If they stop supporting it, you are forced to upgrade.

You can always tell another fellow IT geek

:fy:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
https://smile.amazon.com/b?&node=17285120011

Anyone trust doing this? Basically you get a camera and a smart lock, and the Amazon delivery folks can drop your packages off inside your front door while you can watch live on your phone.

Cool...but I don't think I'd do it.

We had an 'incident' with an amazon delivery person doing this like yesterday......

As in, a gentlemen helped himself into our house to put a package inside the front door as the screen door was closed, but the main door was open. Didn't knock or anything, just fucking helped himself in and placed the packages down inside our house.
[MENTION=4700]Miss Esa[/MENTION] had my gun out at the top of the stairs after hearing someone enter the house (basically 4 steps forward of where the door is), I wonder if that driver will ever know how close he came to loosing his life.

Until Amazon drivers wear uniforms, and only use branded trucks, I don't see this working out well.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Or maybe don't fuckin shoot people who aren't *breaking* and entering?

I hear what you're saying. I personally would never sign up for this shit. I'd rather have someone steal a package out from under my Ring doorbell and have to make an insurance claim with the shipping carrier than let strangers into my home whenever they please. Let alone when that system gets hacked and someone gets codes to all these devices and can enter any home they please....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info