Roofing Question

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
I'm buying a new house that was advertised as having a new roof in 2015. My inspector thought the roof was original yet the seller insists it is new. I'm going with a licensed roofer today to do an inspection.

My question is when you buy a new roof and have it installed, is there typically a warranty of the workmanship and from the manufacturer? He's stating there is no warranty with the roof which I find odd. He's also been trying to get the paperwork for almost a week now. It just seems fishy.

Mr. SBF

Keeping it Real with Ford Power!!!
May 12, 2015
Kenosha County
Take a somewhat close up picture and let me see it. Typically you get a 6month to a year on workmanship from a good quality contractor as leaks should show themselves by then. Though there are plenty of shady contractors and DIY that won't give it unless you ask... The rest is on the manufacturer of the shingles or product put on.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
I'm buying a new house that was advertised as having a new roof in 2015. My inspector thought the roof was original yet the seller insists it is new. I'm going with a licensed roofer today to do an inspection.

My question is when you buy a new roof and have it installed, is there typically a warranty of the workmanship and from the manufacturer? He's stating there is no warranty with the roof which I find odd. He's also been trying to get the paperwork for almost a week now. It just seems fishy.

I am in round lake area too and they have been doing roofing and siding like crazy the past few years around here.If the siding is new see if you can find out what company did it. We are in the process right now and certain companies only do certain colors from what I am told. Or shit go ask the neighbor if they have gotten a new roof in the past few years

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
I am in round lake area too and they have been doing roofing and siding like crazy the past few years around here.If the siding is new see if you can find out what company did it. We are in the process right now and certain companies only do certain colors from what I am told. Or shit go ask the neighbor if they have gotten a new roof in the past few years

I thought about asking the neighbors, but they're probably friends with the owner LOL.

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
Athena - Public Property Search Viewer

has pretty good aerial photos yearly and you should be able to somewhat possibly compare?

or could you go to building department and look for a permit?

Damn, I can't tell, different lighting, similar color roof, etc. Still, a pretty damn cool website. It goes back to 2005. One thing I thought was that he added the pool, but he didn't. It was there is 2005 and be bought the house in 2007.

*EDIT*
Oh, the latest aerial photo is 2015. He claims it was replaced in 2015.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Not that crazy to go with the same/similar color. I feel like it shouldn’t be that hard to tell new vs old.

What if the roof guy just wants to sell you a roof and says it’s old

Conspiracy-Keanu.jpg

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Look at the ceiling in the house. It should be obvious if there is leaks.

Roofing for the most part, is very easy and hard to screw up. Unless you have a really good honest contractor, I wouldn't expect them to stand behind the roof more than a few months. Not only that, but some roofing products are terrible. I've seen roofs that are a couple years old and need replaced.

I would make sure that insurance will cover the roof when it needs to be replaced.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Do you have their insurance company info? If so, call them and see if they paid for any new roof work in the past two years.

I wonder if the previous owner is trying to say that, when they had a small portion re-done /fixed. I mean technically he did add/replace the roof in that section, so... :D

Mr. SBF

Keeping it Real with Ford Power!!!
May 12, 2015
Kenosha County
Look at the ceiling in the house. It should be obvious if there is leaks.

Roofing for the most part, is very easy and hard to screw up.

A fresh coat of paint/drywall can hide it especially since we have not had a lot of rain in the past 2 months or so...

You'd be surpirsed on how easy it is for guys to screw up a roof with complicated sections having multiple valleyes and hips or architectural flaws created by architects to achieve a certain look they want as well as guys improperly installing the underlayment or nailing to close to valleys and ect... But what do I know I've only been in the trades for 19years.:io:

CMNTMXR57

Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Ok, it was just a thought.

So with the GIS thing KJ posted for McHenry County, I went to see if Kane County had one... They do. So I looked our abode and zoomed in on the aerial pictures. In some from April 2016 you can see my kids out in the driveway with their chalk. Rotate the photo some, and you see me pull starting my lawn mower... :D

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Ok, it was just a thought.

So with the GIS thing KJ posted for McHenry County, I went to see if Kane County had one... They do. So I looked our abode and zoomed in on the aerial pictures. In some from April 2016 you can see my kids out in the driveway with their chalk. Rotate the photo some, and you see me pull starting my lawn mower... :D

here is lake county's for anyone who is curious

https://maps.lakecountyil.gov/taxparcelviewer/

CMNTMXR57

Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I've love Google maps for their updates. You can see what vehicles are in your driveway, etc, even phases of what we've done to the house.

But Kane GIS is updated annually and you can see the timeframe of vehicles. There are a few with our TrailBlazer in the driveway, my Bonneville, the old RGC, the Suburban, the new RGC, in the one with me pull starting the mower, you can see the Caddy in the garage. Even the current 2017 ones, the way I have both the old RGC and the Suburban parked out on the court and street.

CMNTMXR57

Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Not to jack this thread, but I went to DuPage County's GIS.

They don't have aerial updates every year until current times, but starting with every 10 - 12 years and then becoming annually as we get more recent. For mine, starting in 1956. Granted the aerial isn't that great in terms of quality, but 1956, 1978, 1987, 1998, 2006, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Have permits pulled enough said, if there was a permit for the roof I'd challenge the inspector and maybe hire another. Or as you said have a roofing company come out to take a look at it. I'd rather spend the coin on knowing I don't have to spend 10+k on a new roof in the next 10-15 years.

If no permit, original roof even if it was replaced. Age old story of no documentation it didn't happen.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info