Boy Scouts to admit girls into Cub Scouts

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
The Boy Scouts of America agreed Wednesday to start admitting girls into the Cub Scouts next year and to create a program for older girls in 2019.

The change calls for Cub Scout dens, which are the smallest groups, to have either all boys or all girls. Larger Cub Scout packs could accept boys and girls.

The program for older girls is expected to allow them to earn the top rank of Eagle Scout.

“The values of Scouting — trustworthy, loyal, helpful, kind, brave and reverent, for example — are important for both young men and women,” said Michael Surbaugh, the group’s chief Scout executive. “We believe it is critical to evolve how our programs meet the needs of families interested in positive and life-long experiences for their children.”

The plan was adopted unanimously by the organization’s board in Irving, Texas. The Boy Scouts has 2.3 million members ranging in age from 7 to 21.

But the Girl Scouts of the USA criticized the initiative after warning in August that the boys were trying to recruit their members.

“I formally request that your organization stay focused on serving the 90 percent of American boys not currently participating in Boy Scouts … and not consider expanding to recruit girls,” Kathy Hopinkah Hannan, the president of the Girl Scouts, wrote in August to Randall Stephenson, the Boy Scouts president.

The Boy Scouts was founded in 1910 and the Girl Scouts in 1912. The Girl Scouts said the expansion would strain the bond between the two groups.

The Boy Scouts framed the decision as a convenience for busy families with both parents working or with single parents, citing a Pew Research Center survey conducted on 1,807 parents with young children in September and October 2015.

Other Boy Scouts surveys conducted online from April to September 2017 found high interest in signing up daughters for programs such as the Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts.

“I’ve seen nothing that develops leadership skills and discipline like this organization,” Stephenson said. “It is time to make these outstanding leadership development programs available to girls.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/10/11/boy-scouts-girls-admitted-into-cub-scouts/754605001/

:obama:

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
They actually do a lot of activities together. My Wife is a Girl Scout troop leader and she partners with the boy scout troop at the same school and will do the pine-wood derby with them (so now I have to build two cars, one for my daughter and one for my son), and several other things together, but ultimately they are each their own entity and no confusion of genders.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
I mean honestly this is better for girls who actually want to camp and do outdoors things. Most, not all, girl scout troops barely camp more then maybe 1-2 times a year and the red tape in the girl scouts to do anything fun like canoeing is so much higher then in the Boy Scouts.

Girls could already join the boy scouts before this. As there were explorer programs that were coed. I know of a few girl scouts who moved to those programs so they could do backpacking/sailing bigger trips that most girl scout troops won't do. The age range for that was like 15-20 though

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
When the "Boy" Scouts go out on Jamborees or camp outs, who sleeps where?

Let's see what happens when you get some adolescent boys alone all night with adolescent girls.

right, cuz boy scouts never had access to girls on trips before this :iorofl:

Right? There are other youth groups besides scouts that do boys and girls. :rofl:

This literally is a non issue. If anything, I remember the boy scouts being more organized compared to my daughter's girl scouts. Then the troop leader went full retard because of the election and now there is no more troop, but thats a story for another day.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
not being a dick, 100% purely curious, but why?

It wasnt a knee jerk reaction and here is my issue.

Its not about everyone gets a participation award and everyone gets a cookie. Life isnt like that nor should children be taught as such.

Maybe im an asshole but my child will be pulled from that organization.

Since when did we stop respecting eachother? Since when do the opposite sex's have to be allowed into each others clubs and bathrooms for that matter!?

Since when do we all have to bend our own values to appease others?

Most of all when did I have my right to be able to say no! taken away?

Since when do I have to blindly follow nodd and say yes ok despite if I agree with it or not?

Old school, naive, or ignorant go ahead people can lable me how ever they choose my child will not continue to be in an organization that confuses what I think to be right and wrong.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
It wasnt a knee jerk reaction and here is my issue.

Its not about everyone gets a participation award and everyone gets a cookie. Life isnt like that nor should children be taught as such.

it is the scouts though, it's not a track team. everyone can get a participation award and everyone can get a cookie if they apply themselves.

But you said it's not about this, so my bad for replying to this part

Maybe im an asshole but my child will be pulled from that organization.

well we all know you are an asshole so that goes without saying :s00ls::s00ls::s00ls:

Since when did we stop respecting eachother? Since when do the opposite sex's have to be allowed into each others clubs and bathrooms for that matter!?

I personally don't see any loss of respect here really...
and I don't see any bathroom arguments by or for the scouts

Since when do we all have to bend our own values to appease others?

Change has been happening for forever but i follow what you're saying even if I don't agree with it.

Most of all when did I have my right to be able to say no! taken away?

I don't think you did have the right to be able to say no taken away, you said you are pulling your kid out, that's your way of saying no?

Since when do I have to blindly follow nodd and say yes ok despite if I agree with it or not?

I don't think you do, you already said you're pulling your son out, so you're not blindly following?

Old school, naive, or ignorant go ahead people can lable me how ever they choose my child will not continue to be in an organization that confuses what I think to be right and wrong.

I don't think you're naive or ignorant, I think you are opinionated and stick to your guns, which is cool with me :bigthumb:

replied in red

:trump:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info