Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Cook County soda tax expected to be repealed next week, commissioner says | WGN-TV

CHICAGO — The Cook County soda tax is expected to be repealed next week.

Cook County Commissioner Sean Morrison says there will be a repeal vote in the finance committee on Oct. 10.

Morrison’s office says they have enough commissioners signed on to repeal the soda tax and withstand a veto from Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle.

Those commissioners include Richard Boykin, John A. Fritchey, Timothy O. Schneider, Jeffrey R. Tobolski, Peter N. Silvestri, Bridget Gainer, Gregg Goslin, John P. Daley, Jesus G. Garcia, Stanley Moore and Dennis Deer.

The repeal would happen Dec. 1, which is the beginning of Cook County’s fiscal year.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
That and the health issues. Childhood obesity. FYI Crook County people, soda or "sugary" drinks AREN'T the sole cause of childhood obesity!

Those commercials piss me off. How about holding parents accountable for their children's lack of activity, exercise, and eating habits. Kids should be out playing and exercising. That's why Children have weight problems.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Yes. That and their noses are in their iPads or other "device".

All summer long, I've been railing on my kids to get outside and enjoy the weather. They'd rather be in on the PC's/Xbox/ipad whatever playing fucking minecraft or watching YouTube videos.

Get outside and enjoy this NOW! Because in a few months, you won't want to be outside.

pulseczar

Custom User Title
Sep 2, 2015
Channahon
It's just lazy legislation. I drank those Jewel sodas like there was no tomorrow back when I was a kid and couldn't gain weight to save my life. I can probably count on one hand the amount of sodas I've consumed in the past 5 years however. Now I rock the skinny-fat dad-bod. You draw your own conclusion.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
:rofl: I personally cut back on soda, but never agreed with the tax. If you are going to tax sugar added drinks, might as well tax everything else in the supermarket with added sugars they sneak in.

Now they face all these lawsuits that sprung up over this shit. But keep telling everyone it was to prevent "childhood obesity". Such failed democratic logic :picard:

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Heard on the radio,,, so don't know if it's true.... They anticipated a 9M revenue and only ended up with 300k. If that's true, then the tax worked. It got people to stop buying soda in cook county.

Thats the thing, if people stop buying soda in cook county, that means that people just stopped shopping in cook county. I know I stopped going to cook county. I would stop at the jewel in elk grove on the way home when I would do grocery shopping. I got tired of going to the jewel on Army Trail and Bloomingdale. We dont buy soda every time we go to the store, but now its just principle. Ill do almost all my shopping in DuPage if I can help it.

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
I really hated the massive lie about "we have to help the poor that have all of these obesity problems" then they quietly inform us that yes, they will be keeping sugary drinks as purchasable items for wic and state assistance and there is no tax revenue from that.

The other part that was very telling was how Toni and her staff suddenly took big bonuses and pay increases after the tax was put in place, so you know their motivations.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Heard on the radio,,, so don't know if it's true.... They anticipated a 9M revenue and only ended up with 300k. If that's true, then the tax worked. It got people to stop buying soda in cook county.

Yea, since I work in Crook, but live in Kane, instead of buying my "carbonated beverages" here at work in Crook and pay the tax, I just stock up weekly at home at a store in Kane, and bring it in.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info