Small dog for people allergic to dogs??

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Anyone have bad respiratory or contact allergies to dogs, yet still have dogs? My wife and kids are begging for a dog. Yet my 6yo son is pretty allergic. Hes been on shots for his dog allergies for a year now. Responding well. Tolerates time at my parents house and they have three dogs that shed like nobody's business.

Im wondering if anyone here has experience with this sort of situation? The wife and I got a cat together when we first moved in. We both broke out on the arms (hives) when we held him for a few weeks, but that went away. Just wondering if having an animal like this in the house will help him get over this or make it better, like they are doing with the shots. Or will it make him way worse. Hes the most important thing here, and I would hate to give back a dog if this doesnt work out. Or I can listen to whining for the next 10 years as to why we cant have one...

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Been allergic to dogs for as long as I can remember.

The longer I'm around a dog, the quicker I get used to the dog's fur and dander. There are certain hypoallergenic dogs, most have hair instead of fur, that won't trigger the allergies. I'm actually allergic to Thor but since I've been around him so much, it doesn't phase me anymore. Used to be allergic to my Corgi growing up, same deal.

FWIW, I also had the allergy shots when I was younger. I think I was allergic to everything. :rofl:

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Don't do it. I was miserable my entire life living with dogs. I almost died several times when in high school from severe attacks.

It wasn't until I moved out of my house and got married that my Asthma became under control. Just my opinion.

My son has both contact and asthma related allergies. I would never want to put him into a position that could endanger him. Sucks tho because he LOVES pets.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
I also used to have really bad asthma (don't tell the military :io:) but "grew out of it" and I can't remember the last time it was an issue. It's one of those things you'd just have to decide for yourself and your son. He could be like me and just needs to have the allergy around him to get used to it or he could have severe asthma attacks and never get used to it.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
I also used to have really bad asthma (don't tell the military :io:) but "grew out of it" and I can't remember the last time it was an issue. It's one of those things you'd just have to decide for yourself and your son. He could be like me and just needs to have the allergy around him to get used to it or he could have severe asthma attacks and never get used to it.

Thats basically the bottom line. We were thinking about golden doodles - the mini ones. They are still $1k. Fuck man I dont know.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Are you set on a specific dog? Like only want big manly dags? Because there are a few hypoallergenic dogs out there. They seem to be smaller sized dogs though.

My dad is very allergic to cats and dogs. He sold insurance and would go to people's homes. Some nights he would come home looking miserable because the people had a cat or dog. But they are on their 4th Yorkshire Terrier. No dad has no issues with them.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
My Sister In-Law has one of those hypo-allergenic dogs, I just can't remember what breed. He's a little shit head, lazy fucker the size of a large hamster.

But I'll be honest, I still sneeze around him. No animal with fur will be completely good. I just live life happy with our big black lab. A "Manly" dog, not one of those little yappy shitheads.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
I was allergic as a kid and have had hypoallergenic dogs my entire life without problems. Growing up we had a Wheaten Terrier for 13 years. Currently I have a wire haired fox terrier. Neither shed.

Many terriers don’t shed and do well with people with allergies, just depends on the allergy and person. Examples I would look at it are doodles, poodles, and most terriers.

b01548194af16a262c879a1201472a44.jpg

Doesn’t shed, hikes, and eats Starbucks. #winning

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Cats > tiny yappy dogs :io:

Yappy dog > shithead cat :rofl:

Not all small dogs are yappy. One of ours almost never barked. All of them have had different personalities. Just like cats and other animals.

Small dogs are still dogs. If you are allergic to a big one you are allergic to a small one. Trust me.

Yes, no matter the size there is no such thing as 100% hypoallergenic. But if you look at the lists I don't think I have ever seen a large dog on the lists. The ones on there are all not "purse dogs" either.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info