"Rapidly Intensifying" Hurricane Irma Barreling Straight Toward The East Coast

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
"Rapidly Intensifying" Hurricane Irma Barreling Straight Toward The East Coast

cool.

"Rapidly Intensifying" Hurricane Irma Barreling Straight Toward The East Coast | Zero Hedge

:fu:

The National Hurricane Center (NHC) has just updated its forecast for what it is now referring to as a "rapidly intensifying" Category 2 hurricane in the Eastern Atlantic ocean and the results look disastrous for a large swath of the Caribbean and Southeastern United States. Here is a brief summary of Hurricane Irma from the National Hurricane Center released at 11AM EST:

Satellite images indicate that Irma is rapidly intensifying. Very deep convection has formed in the central dense overcast, which is now displaying a small and clearing eye. Dvorak estimates were up to 77 kt at 1200 UTC, and since the cloud pattern continues to quickly become more organized, the initial wind speed is set to 85 kt.

At 1100 AM AST (1500 UTC), the center of Hurricane Irma was located near latitude 16.9 North, longitude 33.8 West. Irma is moving toward the west-northwest near 10 mph (17 km/h). This general motion is forecast through early Friday, followed by a generally westward motion on Saturday.

Maximum sustained winds have increased to near 100 mph (155 km/h) with higher gusts. Irma is forecast to become a major hurricane by tonight and is expected to be an extremely dangerous hurricane for the next several days.

Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 15 miles (30 km) from the center and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 80 miles (130 km).

:fu:

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I have been following Irma. Hopefully it either stays South and hits Mexico (sorry Mexico), veers North and curves back out over the Atlantic (best option) or hits Cuba and loses strength (sorry Cuba).

It all depends on how strong the high pressure system to the North of it remains. If that system weakens, Irma goes North.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
:eek3:..... chills looking at that one model track aimed at Texas.

DIjz_8LUIAAqx4u.jpg:large

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Few left wing nuts on my FB have been posting how Houston, and now this are a direct result of the right wing refusing to believe in climate change, and how Trump is only making this worse.

Has nothing to do with the fact its hurricane season....

I think some of their points being that the storms wouldn't consistently be this bad, but it's BS anyways. Climate change is a thing, man has an impact on it, but as much as an impact as environmentalists lead you to believe? I think not. But are humans completely innocent? I think not.

Personally, I think we should be working to reduce our carbon footprint and look at sustainable energy sources, not because of climate change, but the inevitable drying up of oil and other fossil fuels.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
I would if the storm track was approaching my home. I wasn't here in 2005 when Charley hit so I have never been in the path of a hurricane and never want to be. Near misses are bad enough.
I used to date this one girl from Vero Beach. I think at that time was when one hurricane after another would hit Florida. She would show me pictures. Places closed down and boarded up, floods everywhere. No power for a couple weeks after the hurricane. Just crazy.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
yeah fema isn't prepared (duh) for a double tap.

:eek3:..... chills looking at that one model track aimed at Texas.

DIjz_8LUIAAqx4u.jpg:large

so i was thinking about this last night... and i mean, we all of course hope the thing dissipates.... and does not touch land at all.

but if it becomes a megafuckstorm, and hits land, maybe hitting an already royally fucked area would be best?

I mean, if it hits florida as a megafuckstorm, it'd be REALLY bad... hitting houston again... i mean it's already fucked.... so it wouldn't fuck shit up as bad as it hitting virgin coastline? i dunno.

It's
Going
To
Fuck
Some
Shit
Up

lookin' like it.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
yeah I have to agree, and hate to say it but it would be better off striking the already damaged areas. This is going to be a monster.

Irma is a "Cape Verde hurricane,” meaning that it started near the Cape Verde islands off the coast of Africa and has moved across the Atlantic. Other Cape Verde hurricanes include Hurricane Ivan in 2004, Hurricane Floyd in 1999, and Hurricane Hugo in 1989. These can be some of the largest hurricanes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info