Computer build issues

MuffHugger

Formerly GTP Mike
Jun 16, 2008
Lil Romeoville
Real Name
Mike
I am in the middle of a computer build right now. The goal for this machine is to be my computer forensic workstation, but right now it's not working. I have all the parts and they are installed properly. Here's what's happening:

Turn power supply on, green LED on motherboard turns on. Press power button, fans and everything comes on. No display to the monitor. After a minute or two the green LED turns solid amber. As of now, I only have the bare essentials plugged in and am still getting this error.

Parts:

Intel S5000PSL Motherboard
2x Intel Xeon X5460 CPU's
32gb FBDIMM ECC certified DDR2-667 RAM
4x Samsung Pro 250gb SSD
5x WD Black 1tb 7200RPM
ASUS CD drive
3.5"/2.5" hot swap bay
4 port RAID controller
4 port SATA PCI
EVGA GeForce 210 video card
TP Link AC1300 network card
Cooler Master g600m psu
4 bay raid cage
Firewire PCI card
Cooler Master HAF case

Any ideas?

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
it should beep, or check your motherboard for what that led color means.

no vid card just cpu and minimum ram to start, iirc power on with no vid card should be 3 beeps... if you don't get that maybe try other sticks of ram? if you get that then turn it off and stick in the vid card and hopefully you get output?

MuffHugger

Formerly GTP Mike
Jun 16, 2008
Lil Romeoville
Real Name
Mike
The motherboard screen doesn't even show when booting? Unplug the ram and the 1 drive you have connected.

On my dual monitor setup, I only have one plugged in. Using the VGA from the MOBO, the screen will stay black. The other screen will be lit up for a little bit, then go into sleep mode.

it should beep, or check your motherboard for what that led color means.

no vid card just cpu and minimum ram to start, iirc power on with no vid card should be 3 beeps... if you don't get that maybe try other sticks of ram? if you get that then turn it off and stick in the vid card and hopefully you get output?

No beeps or any other noises coming from the MOBO

None of the power cables are flipped around?

Is the heatsink properly installed? Some servers I used to work on would go into an endless loop of post/shutdown/reboot if the cpu was overheating.

motheboard not grounding out to the chassis?

Double, triple checked the cables. I might have to recheck the CPU power cable as it may be switched with the PCI power cable.

Heatsink is installed with the proper backing plate and is secure. Used enough thermal paste and didn't get it everywhere. The CPU fans do go into high mode on initial startup, but reduce to normal speed after a second or two.

Reseat the CPU.

Make sure you didn't get a piece of debris in the socket (like fuzz or a hair).

This will probably be my next step as I have too many cats in my apartment.

make sure the pci-e 6+2 power connector isn't plugged into the cpu 8 pin on the mobo.

are all the parts new?

the PCI power is actually a 4 prong. Reading online, I found that some people were having issues with having 2 of the pins on the connector hanging off. Bought a molex to 4 pin adapter like some people suggested.

Checking the PCI and CPU connectors now.

MuffHugger

Formerly GTP Mike
Jun 16, 2008
Lil Romeoville
Real Name
Mike
Well, since forensic computers and their components are very expensive, I opted to get older, used parts. Got the RAM, MOBO, and CPUs used. I'm beginning to think the MOBO is fried. Bright side to that is that it only cost me like $40. Downside is that with these CPUs, I need to get the exact model.

Researching alternate MOBOs or replacement now.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
used/old stuff can be a bitch. i'm sure i have working when pulled but now sitting in the basement gear that would be a pain to try and fire up today.

otoh, i fired up a sun sparcstation 4 yesterday and it seemed to be just fine, although i don't have a way to attach a monitor to it at the moment.

MuffHugger

Formerly GTP Mike
Jun 16, 2008
Lil Romeoville
Real Name
Mike
used/old stuff can be a bitch. i'm sure i have working when pulled but now sitting in the basement gear that would be a pain to try and fire up today.

otoh, i fired up a sun sparcstation 4 yesterday and it seemed to be just fine, although i don't have a way to attach a monitor to it at the moment.

actually found a new s5000psl in box for less than a hundred. Think I'm going to pull the trigger on it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info