Do GoPro's suck?

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I'm pretty pissed, not going to lie. Bought a hero session 5 about 6 weeks ago and only really used it enough to make sure it worked. Linked it to my phone, took a quick 2 minute video, everything was good.

Fast forward to this past weekend. I bought a mount for the bmw, installed and safety wired it planning to take video at putnam this saturday. I charge the camera, unplug it after 40-50 mins and the red light stays on, the camera won't turn on

I eventually got the lights to turn off and got the camera to turn on (and it showed 100% battery), but ever since then it won't work consistently. I follow the troubleshooting guide and can, at times, trick it in to turning on by removing the SD card, plugging it in then unplugging it, holding both buttons for 10+ seconds, basically just randomly fucking with the thing until i maybe get lucky enough to get it to work. Then, after turning on, it frequently shuts off after like 5 seconds despite the battery showing full

Last night i eventually got it to stay on (no clue how) long enough to record video and pair with the wifi on my phone, but this morning it's dead again. It's almost like the battery is 100% dead despite the fact that it was fully charged at 10pm last night. This thing shuts itself off if you're not recording, so that can't be it.

So i call customer service and the automated system says the wait could be up to 3 hours for technical support. Motherfuckers. Either they are way understaffed, or they have a lot of shit products out there in consumer's hands, or both.

Has anyone else had issues like this with gopro? I'm pissed, i was excited to have video from the track.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
I've had a Hero 4 black for a while now and no issues.

Leaving wifi on will kill the battery, even if the camera is off. Could be a defective battery.

Sounds like you also called at a "bad" time as I've called to ask general questions prior to buying and was on hold for a few minutes at most without issues getting through.

If anything, send them an email as that is usually a quicker alternative instead of waiting on hold.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I've had a Hero 4 black for a while now and no issues.

Leaving wifi on will kill the battery, even if the camera is off. Could be a defective battery.

Sounds like you also called at a "bad" time as I've called to ask general questions prior to buying and was on hold for a few minutes at most without issues getting through.

If anything, send them an email as that is usually a quicker alternative instead of waiting on hold.
Good to know, i'll charge it up tonight.

I finally got a call back from some lady in india (about 90 mins after my original call), who recommended reformatting my SD card. I have read about people having problems with sandisk, so i'm going to try my friends tonight and see if his works in the session like it does in his gopro.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Latest update:

I went home, charged it, and tried my friends SD card and it still won't work. If i mess around with it for a long time and hold both buttons to do a reset i can occasionally get it to record, but that's it. Now i get to call these assholes and spend 30 mins convincing them at the camera needs to be replaced

to recap:
Won't turn on with one button click, ever
Won't charge consistently, most of the time it doesn't show red lights and isn't accepting the charge
It's not the SD card
I'm f'd for the track this weekend

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Latest update:

I went home, charged it, and tried my friends SD card and it still won't work. If i mess around with it for a long time and hold the buttons to do a reset i can occasionally get it to record, but that's it. Now i get to call these assholes and spend 30 mins convincing them at the camera needs to be replaced

to recap:
Won't turn on with one button click, ever
Won't charge consistently, most of the time it doesn't show red lights and isn't accepting the charge
It's not the SD card
I'm f'd for the track this weekend

Best thing to do is buy a new battery and have it delivered to you by the weekend.

That could be the culprit, but, too hard to tell.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Ty sir. You can't even email them, at least not from what I've seen. The only options are sit on hold for an hour like a dick head or live chat during business hours only, which isn't an option because my work network blocks it

The fact that the call center is in India and you still have to wait forever irks me even more

I might register on the GoPro forum and detail my experience thus far, employees seem to respond there

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
buy the same model somewhere else and return this one in out run

I thought about that, lol. BUT, at this point i no longer care to have any of the options in the hero 5 session so i wasn't going to spend another $300 on one. The $150 base is fine with me.

i'll sell the 5-session for ~$230 once they replace it, assuming i can ever get a hold of these clowns and get this addressed, and keep the regular session

Even the names annoy me at this point

hero 4 session - old and outdated
hero session - new base model
hero 5 session - updated "premium" version of the old and outdated one i guess. idk

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info