Home CCTV cameras ?

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

I installed one of those $400 8 camera deals at the shop, it has been fantastic.
It doesn't have a great memory, only ~48 hours IIRC, but it has caught scumbags lying about stuff a couple of times.
It's so clear, you can read license plates.

I'm not a fan of those stolen counterfeited china crap products, but that's what the landlord bought :(

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
I'm thinking about buying a bunch of ethernet cables for the cameras and attaching them to the siding this way when the new siding goes up i can tell them to just tuck it behind. then i can add cameras later if i wanted.
anyone see a down side with that plan? still also debating on if i should get a spool and terminate myself or just save the time and buy the ones already done up

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I think it should be fine. I'd also look into exterior Ethernet cable for longevity if you want something more robust.

As far as termination, it's all personal preference. If you don't mind having more length left over and needing to coil it up somewhere and seeing cables bundled doesn't bother you, then terminated cables would be easier...except you'll need to make larger holes to get the connector through the wall.

Terminating it yourself will just allow the exact lengths and smaller holes needed for cable pass through...but tends to take more time due to needing to terminate everything.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
I think it should be fine. I'd also look into exterior Ethernet cable for longevity if you want something more robust.

As far as termination, it's all personal preference. If you don't mind having more length left over and needing to coil it up somewhere and seeing cables bundled doesn't bother you, then terminated cables would be easier...except you'll need to make larger holes to get the connector through the wall.

Terminating it yourself will just allow the exact lengths and smaller holes needed for cable pass through...but tends to take more time due to needing to terminate everything.

lol exactly, i'm debating if i want to be on a ladder terminating a bunch of connections. I did look into the outdoor cable and they seem pricey but probably worth it. I'm thinking though I may run a lot more cables and have room to expand if I ever choose to do so

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
lol exactly, i'm debating if i want to be on a ladder terminating a bunch of connections. I did look into the outdoor cable and they seem pricey but probably worth it. I'm thinking though I may run a lot more cables and have room to expand if I ever choose to do so

I will tell you the outdoor rated cable is a much harder plastic covering and has anti-corrosion stuff within the cable and it slightly thicker.

But with the cable being under the siding, it should be OK as long as the outer jacket doesnt get damaged.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I will tell you the outdoor rated cable is a much harder plastic covering and has anti-corrosion stuff within the cable and it slightly thicker.

But with the cable being under the siding, it should be OK as long as the outer jacket doesnt get damaged.

If you're going through the attic and just dropping out of the soffit you should be good with regular cable right?

Any difference or reason to run CAT6 instead of 5?

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Am i limited to any length before I need a little bridge to up the power?
Cat5 has a Max of 300 feet. I doubt you'll be running the distances to need more power, but anything past 325ft should have a booster but doesn't mean it still won't work if it's a little past that.

You will need higher POE output or a high powered Poe injector if you have a PTZ (Pan, Tilt, zoom) camera.
If you're going through the attic and just dropping out of the soffit you should be good with regular cable right?

Any difference or reason to run CAT6 instead of 5?
That should be fine since it's under the soffit. I'm doing the same with regular cable. For the cable going underground in pvc, I might switch to outdoor cable for longevity sake and weather resistance of the PVC fails.

No. Go with cat5e. It's drastically cheaper and you won't notice the difference between the two. The major difference is cat5e will go up to 1GB transfers, cat6 will do 10GB. 99% of people can't even hit 1GB with consumer network equipment, usually they struggle going over a few hundred MBs.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Cat5 has a Max of 300 feet. I doubt you'll be running the distances to need more power, but anything past 325ft should have a booster but doesn't mean it still won't work if it's a little past that.

You will need higher POE output or a high powered Poe injector if you have a PTZ (Pan, Tilt, zoom) camera.

That should be fine since it's under the soffit. I'm doing the same with regular cable. For the cable going underground in pvc, I might switch to outdoor cable for longevity sake and weather resistance of the PVC fails.

No. Go with cat5e. It's drastically cheaper and you won't notice the difference between the two. The major difference is cat5e will go up to 1GB transfers, cat6 will do 10GB. 99% of people can't even hit 1GB with consumer network equipment, usually they struggle going over a few hundred MBs.

Just making sure since I have a 1000' box of each sitting here at work. :fy:

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I saw your thread on cameras but still looking for others to see what else is out there.
I'm still a little confused on what makes those a $100 camera vs ones where you get 4 cameras for $100.WTF did I miss?
The hardware changes drastically in camera equipment so don't rely on the older thread but you have to post 2 different cameras and I can tell you the difference and why the price is more or less.

Usually the 4 cameras in a 100$ box are lower resolution and analog and proprietary . Buy a box set, stuck with that brand and their cameras and their DVRs and nothing else works with the dvr.

The price difference usually is due to resolution, type of camera and the features/software on the camera. For example, an Axis 720p camera could go for $250 while a Chinese brand camera with the same hardware could go for 50$. The difference between the two will be the software on the device, regular security updates and no Chinese backdoors built into the camera on an Axis device.

Post some cameras you are interested in and I'll give you details accordingly.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info