Looking for a new DD

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
So I decided to part with my fusion and look at a daily driver, I haven't looked at anything in years so figured I throw out a post to get some feedback and suggestions. I know we have a few mechanics here so also looking for feedback on which cars are problematic.

Here is what I am looking at... mid to full size sedan, needs to have leather and handsfree (should be standard nowadays) otherwise I don't care about any other features. This will be a daily driver to get me to/from work meetings I don't need horsepower but I'd like something comfortable as there are times I'm in the car 3+ hours.

I'd like to keep it around 20k financed and my fusion should be worth around 3-5k trade in so 25k max price. 14-17 model year and under 30k miles. I'd like to keep it domestic and my wife loathes anything foreign, she will be driving it on occasion and I'm tired of battling with her on that. I'd like to get something where I can get the factory warranty extended as I want to do the absolute minimum wrenching on a daily driver. Things like brakes, batteries etc is all I car to do on these cars. Otherwise I'll take them in and pay to have it worked on. So comfort and reliability are core requirements.

Here is what I have come up with as possible options

Fusion - Have one now, this could be the front runner :dunno:
Taurus - Test drove one yesturday, seems ok felt a little cramped with the huge center console and dash setup.
Impala - I know nothing about these and even less about the trim levels, thoughts?
Malibu - Same as above
Lincoln MKZ - Looks to be a glorified fusion, so more expensive and imo uglier.
Buick LaCrosse - Same as impala/malibu ?
Buick Regal - ?
Cadillac ATS - I really like the look of these but since it's a caddy it's price is higher than the competition so it would be older and more miles than the others.
Charger - R/T's are nice, not so sure on the SXT's SE's.
300's - I know these were shitboxes previously, not so sure nowadays.
Cruze - Listing it as a option but :dunno:

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I'd like to keep it domestic and my wife loathes anything foreign, she will be driving it on occasion and I'm tired of battling with her on that.

Honda Accord.

C'mon, you're better than that. :bigthumb:

*edit* YES, I know theyre built in the US but guessing his wife means she doesnt want the foreign company name?

I'd say if you like your Fusion try to get into a newer one... :dunno:

2016, 19,000 miles, AWD Ecoboost, etc....

2016 Ford Fusion SE - Al Piemonte Ford in Melrose Park, IL

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
C'mon, you're better than that. :bigthumb:

I'd say if you like your Fusion try to get into a newer one... :dunno:

2016, 19,000 miles, AWD Ecoboost, etc....

2016 Ford Fusion SE - Al Piemonte Ford in Melrose Park, IL

The Accord's motor and transmission are sourced from the U.S. and Japan. Final assembly takes place in Marysville, Ohio, where the Accord has been assembled since November 1982, according to Honda. The Accord sedan, coupe, and hybrid are assembled here.

you can barely call them forgien anymore. :dunno:

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I don't know that I'd buy domestic if I were shopping in the category you've described. The Accord is a solid car, as is the Passat.

GM is offering some nice tech in their vehicles, and while I don't have data to back up my statements, I feel like GM still doesn't compete well against the market segment.

Buick might be nice, but it's just a dressed up GM.

Ford has some decent options and also good tech offerings... But I find their cars to be a bit small.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
to completely dissreguard half or more of the market "because the wife does not like it" is crazy. expecially on sometign that will not be her main mode of transport. i fully get, and support happy wife happy life, but there also has to be reason behind it. at that point the honda is more american then most GM's because at least the honda is assembeled in the USA.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
X2 on what [MENTION=340]Eagle[/MENTION] said; I'd really consider a Camry/Accord/Jetta/Passat over domestic mid-size offerings despite your wifes mind.

There are still some CRAZY good deals to be had on Jettas right now since VW is still Reeling from Diesel gate. My Grandmother In-Law got a $0 down, $199 a month lease on a brand new one not terribly long ago.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Per the Taurus:

I had a 2014 Taurus SEL, v6, decked out. Drove it 3 - 4 hours a day as a commuter in traffic (70k miles in 2 yrs).

Very reliable
Very comfortable
Averaged 26 mpgs

No complaints. Only reason I traded in was because I wanted back into a sports car.

I recommend a call to John at APFord

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
CPO 2016 or newer Impala. It was our car of the year in 2014 and I spent thousands of miles in the one we bought to test for a year. Amazing highway cruiser, the Bose stereo is surprisingly good and the 16 and newer ones have CarPlay and Android Auto. Comfy, big trunk and you can get a screaming deal on one with a good warranty. If I recall, the 2LT gets you the bulk of what's good and the LTZ adds some appearance add-ons. For how massive the Taurus is on the outside it's tiny on the inside.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Honda Accord.

to completely dissreguard half or more of the market "because the wife does not like it" is crazy. expecially on sometign that will not be her main mode of transport. i fully get, and support happy wife happy life, but there also has to be reason behind it. at that point the honda is more american then most GM's because at least the honda is assembeled in the USA.

I have given up arguing with her on this, I know Honda's and Toyota's are not even truely imports by your example. I've owned imports in the past and have had no issues with them. Personally I'd love to own a 3 series but I know I'll never win the arguement especially with repair costs on one of ze german cars.

However you nailed it on the head, Happy wife Happy life so if I have to stick to domestic to not continue this silly argument I am perfectly ok with that. Moving on.

Per the Taurus:

I had a 2014 Taurus SEL, v6, decked out. Drove it 3 - 4 hours a day as a commuter in traffic (70k miles in 2 yrs).

Very reliable
Very comfortable
Averaged 26 mpgs

No complaints. Only reason I traded in was because I wanted back into a sports car.

I recommend a call to John at APFord

I've sent him a PM, I test drove the Taurus SEL earlier this week to get a feel for it. Didn't wow me, the only negative I had was it felt small on the inside especially width wise. I'm fat and have wider shoulders. I'm still considering one but know nothing of it's reliability. I also just want to see if something else may be a better purchase. I kept my fusion over 5 years I'd like to do the same with the next car.

CPO 2016 or newer Impala. It was our car of the year in 2014 and I spent thousands of miles in the one we bought to test for a year. Amazing highway cruiser, the Bose stereo is surprisingly good and the 16 and newer ones have CarPlay and Android Auto. Comfy, big trunk and you can get a screaming deal on one with a good warranty. If I recall, the 2LT gets you the bulk of what's good and the LTZ adds some appearance add-ons. For how massive the Taurus is on the outside it's tiny on the inside.

This is good info I may have to test drive one. Can someone please break down what the damn trim levels are on GM cars. I feel like I need a degree to understand the breakdown on their cars.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
LS = BASE
LT = slightly better than base. (1,2,3 are jsut option groups that add stuff to them)
LTZ = top trim

al least this is true with most of the lines. but check if a build sheet / window sticker is available. that will tell you all the options as whoever built the car can pick and choose as they please for at least some of the options. If you do go Impala go with the LTZ as all the others look like rental cars. we had one as a rental when they first came out and the wife loved it. 4 banger mid trim level and all.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info