what the health

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i'm surprised at that, since it is just preaching to the choir to vegans. a comment on a friend's post about it was by a woman saying her family was 75% vegan, but now her family is going to 100%.

it wasn't as annoying as my most hated pseudoscience movie ever (what the bleep) and it's a much more casual cherry picking of evidence or omission of critique (any opposing beliefs presented are weak to super weak/non-existent) - it doesn't help me to trust the narrator in that the movie starts out with him being a self confessed hypochondriac.

this is a pretty good commentary/review on it by a respectable source:
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/what-the-health-a-movie-with-an-agenda/

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
i'm surprised at that, since it is just preaching to the choir to vegans. a comment on a friend's post about it was by a woman saying her family was 75% vegan, but now her family is going to 100%.

it wasn't as annoying as my most hated pseudoscience movie ever (what the bleep) and it's a much more casual cherry picking of evidence or omission of critique (any opposing beliefs presented are weak to super weak/non-existent) - it doesn't help me to trust the narrator in that the movie starts out with him being a self confessed hypochondriac.

this is a pretty good commentary/review on it by a respectable source:
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/what-the-health-a-movie-with-an-agenda/

I've seen movies like this and I too am skeptical but a couple things bother me.

For one, I read the article you linked to and he doesn't really debunk a lot of the info so much as marginalizes it. For a lot of it he's saying that yeah, there's an increased risk of X or Y but versus being 25% like the movie suggests, it's only 5%. Well 5% is still 5%. It's not exactly a ringing endorsement for animal products.

Second, I know several people all by myself that reversed their type ii diabetes by diet alone, specifically moving to plant based diets. It is somewhat suspect to me that the diabetes association isn't aware of this or doesn't even have a comment on it. I get that you want to verify studies but certainly there must be some kind of "empirical evidence is showing us" type of response.

Third, and this is just personal observation, I was on the 4 hour diet a few months back. It was fantastic. In three weeks I lost 10lbs that I couldn't lose on any other diet but one day I walked into Whole Foods, walked down the food bar and walked out with braised beef, baked chicken breast and some other meat product. As I'm sitting there eating it I'm just thinking to myself there's no way it can be good for you to pass up things like fruit in lieu of 56 servings of meat every day.

I consider myself a really skeptical person and when I watch movies like this (I did and found the dude to be kind of a chode) and Forks Over Knives my first inclination is to try to debunk it but really the more I try the more I fail to see anyone make a compelling argument for most animal products. That gives me the sads because I like my cheese but I'm finding myself forcefully skipping meat and going light on the cheese more often than not now.

I'm not a vegan and likely never would be but if you had to make an argument against meat/ dairy or against being vegan there's little doubt which is the easier argument to make.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
I've watched roughly 7-8 of these documentaries, this one is one of the better ones but the first half still seems to almost promote sugar as if it's solely animal products causing the issues.

I have two sisters that have been vegan for a decade but still eat whatever processed bullshit. (Still way better than my lifestyle choices over that decade)

After all the information I've soaked up, weeding through all the intentional confusion both corporate and corporate bought govt agencies data/suggestions, it is a full plant based diet that is best for the body.

I haven't finished reading my copy but this might be the best non-biased and non-agenda source of information out there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1941631568/?tag=tcg21-20

It's probably rare for us 'Mericans to go 100% but the closer the better. I recently went 72 hours produce only, then indulged in epic processed carbs (pizza, funnel cake, shake), on a cheater day and actually felt sick (probably went overboard by taking advantage of the cheater day :rofl: )

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
I should have done a full blood panel and taken other stats prior to any changes, but one thing that did happen in those 72 hours was a loss of 7# and blood pressure #'s that were in the stage 1 brought down well into the prehypertension. That one cheat day brought my bottom # right back up to 93 which is stage 1 and top # 138 which is barely still in prehypertension.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
I think the point of the original video is demonstrate once again, to all the fucking sheeple, that corporate america has bought every piece of govt and controls what information is put out there to benefit said corporations. Watched the first 4 minutes of this doctor, who looks to be in prime health (SO ASK HIM WHAT HE EATS) and laughed at all the jokes he made.

To be honest, I immediately turned off "What the health" after the first 1/3 as it looked absolutely like a pro sugar agenda, but like I said gave it another go and it seemed to have "leveled" out a bit throughout the rest.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Also anyone who thinks going plant based is because of PETA, I'll be the first to send a round right through a deer, field dress, and grill venison steaks right up for them :rofl:

Make some for my wife, then save me one or two. I keep telling her for every animal she doesn't eat I'll eat 3.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Last time I checked none of the produce section needed to put stupid fucking labels on anything :rofl:

I think the sheeple are still way beyond realizing with the downfall of tobacco finally, things have shifted over the last couple decades to making processed foods as addictive as possible.

I could see with the downfall of big tobacco these people need something else to target. What's funny to me is I would think they'd target sugar and caffeine next. Those are really the elephants in the room right now IMO. I quit caffeine but still drink some soda, although I have cut back a ton. My buddy who had major heart issues was telling me the doctors suspect it was the energy drinks that did it.

ED:The guy who's like "carbs can't give you diabetes by themselves" seems like a sugar industry rep.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
you want to see how much of a grasp processed and bad foods have on you? Just try going a full 24-48 hours without. It was once thought the addiction was equal to or greater than cocaine, but some now can compare it to the level of opiates with brain scans.

Talking about people who regularly eat out (including some fast food etc).

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
you want to see how much of a grasp processed and bad foods have on you? Just try going a full 24-48 hours without. It was once thought the addiction was equal to or greater than cocaine, but some now can compare it to the level of opiates with brain scans.

Not only that but people have no concept of what's processed and what's not. A lot of the time people think they're eating healthy and they're still eating processed garbage. I remember buying cheese its and thinking I was making a healthy choice because they were baked. :rofl:

So many different agendas. Eat what the fuck you want, make an informed decision about what you're eating. Americans are clueless. Everything gives you cancer, new "superfood" every week, I'm still fat but all I eat is organic free range conflict free gender nuetral kale.

It's like politics. The point is to muddy the waters and confuse you so much that you don't know what the truth is, you grow skeptical of any claim and just eat whatever you want which will contain shit loads of sugar because everything does.

The western diet is pretty fucked.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I've seen movies like this and I too am skeptical but a couple things bother me.

For one, I read the article you linked to and he doesn't really debunk a lot of the info so much as marginalizes it. For a lot of it he's saying that yeah, there's an increased risk of X or Y but versus being 25% like the movie suggests, it's only 5%. Well 5% is still 5%. It's not exactly a ringing endorsement for animal products.

Second, I know several people all by myself that reversed their type ii diabetes by diet alone, specifically moving to plant based diets. It is somewhat suspect to me that the diabetes association isn't aware of this or doesn't even have a comment on it. I get that you want to verify studies but certainly there must be some kind of "empirical evidence is showing us" type of response.

Third, and this is just personal observation, I was on the 4 hour diet a few months back. It was fantastic. In three weeks I lost 10lbs that I couldn't lose on any other diet but one day I walked into Whole Foods, walked down the food bar and walked out with braised beef, baked chicken breast and some other meat product. As I'm sitting there eating it I'm just thinking to myself there's no way it can be good for you to pass up things like fruit in lieu of 56 servings of meat every day.

I consider myself a really skeptical person and when I watch movies like this (I did and found the dude to be kind of a chode) and Forks Over Knives my first inclination is to try to debunk it but really the more I try the more I fail to see anyone make a compelling argument for most animal products. That gives me the sads because I like my cheese but I'm finding myself forcefully skipping meat and going light on the cheese more often than not now.

I'm not a vegan and likely never would be but if you had to make an argument against meat/ dairy or against being vegan there's little doubt which is the easier argument to make.

i felt like the author got a little lazy on this one and just started casually listing claims rather than doing some point by point counterpoint.

5% is 5% - and the reality is a plant based diet is in most regards better for you. my problem isn't with that claim but in the alarmist way in which they present things and with the implication of how bad meat is and how good veganism is.

i would say it's like having a 2% risk of something, unless you eat bacon, then you have a 50% increase. well ok, but that means 2% goes to 3%. that's a delta of 1%. and am i not going to eat bacon then? maybe. am i going to stop eating all meat and animal products for life? and go through the effort of learning and planning veg nutrition, for life, to stem off that 1% risk? maybe if i was a hypochondriac browsing webmd all day, but i'm going to pass on that. i feel like the movie implies your 2% risk goes closer to 0% if you're a vegan, or veganism will even cure what ails you. some of the evidence is spotty for some claims and there's certainly little for that one.

maybe i'll eat some more vegetables watching this movie - but my fat lazy ass just had culvers and is sitting on the couch while i work all day. i already know i should eat better and exercise more, including have some more vegetables in my diet, and i didn't need a dishonest messenger to learn that.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake

i eat out all the time because i'm lazy and cooking for one. this actually works amazing in like thailand where you get fresh food cooked for you for under 2 bucks all the time. less so in suburban 'murica that is for sure. there's a lot of new psychological research around addiction/habits/dopamine/reward behavior going on now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info