Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
http://gizmodo.com/cops-busted-planting-drugs-by-their-own-body-cameras-1797059470

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XMdJWhDfMs

Take, for example, this group of scuzzballs in Maryland caught on camera earlier this year placing a bag of dope in an alley, returning only moments later to “discover” it among a heap of garbage. The person they arrested for the dope they “found” was apparently jailed in January and only released last week after a public defender discovered the 90-second footage.

These cops—one of whom testified against another defendant in a separate case earlier this month, according to the Baltimore sun—were only busted because they’d forgotten to read the manual on the bodycams they’d been outfitted with. Even when turned off, the cameras are continually recording video with a 30-second buffer, meaning whenever the device is activated the prior half minute is also saved automatically.

While two other cops stand by, the video shows one officer placing a soup can containing a plastic bag—presumably containing drugs—into a pile of garbage behind a gray brick building. He then walks back into the street and flips the camera on.

“I’m gonna go check here,” he says, before walking back to where he’d just stashed the shit and pretending to poke around. After turning over a rock and examining a few other pieces of trash, he picks up the can of soup and “finds” the baggie.

“We take allegations like this very seriously and that’s why we launched an internal investigation into the accusations,” the Baltimore Police Department said in a statement. “We are fortunate to have Body Worn Cameras which provide a perspective of the events as reported.”

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Cops should never be able to turn their body cameras off other than maybe taking a dump (although I'd leave mine on just in case someone was reviewing my footage they'd have to watch). If any period of time over a few minutes the camera is turned off....the cop should be fired.

Hope this bastard goes to jail!

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
The cop deserves to get more punishment that just being fired. I normally lean towards the officers being in the right, but this is clearly not the case this time. It's sickening that someone could go to jail due to fabricated evidence.
This type of shit happens more than you know, and has been for a looonnnggg time. Only reason these fucks are now getting caught is because there are cameras everywhere now a days.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Cops should never be able to turn their body cameras off other than maybe taking a dump (although I'd leave mine on just in case someone was reviewing my footage they'd have to watch). If any period of time over a few minutes the camera is turned off....the cop should be fired.

Hope this bastard goes to jail!

Body cameras are still a new process in IL as in many other states. I know there is a lot of battle between the Police unions and departments regarding when they can turn them on/off. The few that are running them locally here are allowed to turn them off in the locker rooms and bathrooms as well as when they are on break, this is for their privacy which they should be fully allowed.

Now while they are officially on duty they shouldn't be turning them off at all but it is going to happen. Just with everything you implement a new rule or policy to fix something and someone will find a way around it.

In this case this officer was just plain stupid, not only should he be fired and thrown in jail but his 2 accomplices should get the same treatment.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Double jail time for offenses like this. Lose your job and pension.

You abuse power, you do the time.

Now every case he has been apart of becomes a shit show when it comes to evidence. Time and money will be spent to redo all the cases.
Highly doubt past drug cases will be retried. Probably will all be tossed out, as they were when those 3 Schaumburg cops got busted.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Any HONEST police officer should accept these no questions asked. It only helps your own story when evidence is needed....unless you are crooked.

Allow them to unclip them and leave them in their pockets when using the bathroom. If you don't put it back on then you get one strike, second time you are fired.

Your right to an extent and I do agree that should be the mindset. But every minute of your work day is now under scrutiny because it is all evidence under FOIA.

This is more for the cops doing their job so don't think I'm defending the scumbags. But take how often you pop open your phone to look at a text message, or read the news or TCG. All of that is now evidence available to the public at any time they want to see it. I couldn't do that job knowing everything said, seen and heard could be taken out of context and used against me for performance or worst case something criminal.

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
Meh, i hate crooked cops as much as the next guy, but to play the devils advocate, id like to see guy they tried pinning this on and his criminal history. If he's a scumbag as well, NFG.

Live a life of crime, sometimes it bites you back. I don't condone police abuse of power, and would never do it myself, but i wouldn't lose sleep over it if it was against a scumbag with a record a mile long who deserves to be put away.

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
Ok we'll leave it up to the corrupt cops to determine that, the reason they should get double the sentence is they are double the piece of shit they are putting away :rofl:

I knew of a cop who planted evidence on a guy who used to beat the shit out of his wife every week, and smacked around his kid too. The only thing that would ever happen to him was he'd go to a cool-off cell for the night and be out on the street the next day. The wife would never press charges because she knew the guy would kill her. Well he planted evidence, beat the shit out of the guy saying he resisted arrest, and he went away for 5 years. Both the wife and kid lived happily ever after. This was all before the days of body cams

Like i said, I'd never do that, but i sure as hell wouldn't make a fuss out of it in a situation like that. Can you tell me it's better off to just let the guy keep beating the shit out of his wife and child until one of them dies? The justice system isn't perfect...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info