Chicago won't allow high school students to graduate without a plan for the future

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Chicago won’t allow high school students to graduate without a plan for the future

CHICAGO — To graduate from a public high school in Chicago, students will soon have to meet a new and unusual requirement: They must show that they’ve secured a job or received a letter of acceptance to college, a trade apprenticeship, a gap year program or the military.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel (D) said he wants to make clear that the nation’s third-largest school system is not just responsible for shepherding teenagers to the end of their senior year, but also for setting them on a path to a productive future.

“We are going to help kids have a plan, because they’re going to need it to succeed,” he said. “You cannot have kids think that 12th grade is done.”

Few would dispute that kids often need more than a high school diploma to thrive in today’s economy, but there is a simmering debate about the extent to which schools should be — and realistically can be — expected to ensure their graduates receive further training.

Emanuel’s plan, approved by the Board of Education in late May, has planted Chicago at the center of that debate.

Experts say Chicago Public Schools is the first big-city system to make post-graduation plans a graduation requirement. But the question is whether the cash-strapped district can provide enough mentoring and counseling to help its neediest students succeed when the rule takes effect in 2020.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I can understand the reasoning behind it...when I graduated, I had zero plan. I pissed away money at ECC, gave up halfway through and coasted for a few years. I dont agree with not letting them graduate, thats ridiculous....but the idea of having them have a laid out plan makes sense. I wish I had had one.

bmoore04

TCG Elite Member
Jul 30, 2010
Winfield IL
I can understand the reasoning behind it...when I graduated, I had zero plan. I pissed away money at ECC, gave up halfway through and coasted for a few years. I dont agree with not letting them graduate, thats ridiculous....but the idea of having them have a laid out plan makes sense. I wish I had had one.

Would this have really stopped you from doing any of that? Pissing money away at ECC is an acceptable plan according to this.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I had a plan and it was a stupid af plan that I am SOOOO happy that I fucked up and did what I ended up doing.

All this is going to do is prevent kids, that would otherwise graduate, from graduating. What the fuck is going on in that city??

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Well, lets see here what to say.

I think there are going to be a lot that have problems with the writing aspect of this. With the reading rates coming out of CPS I have my doubts.

Then again you think "drive bys, dealing dope and stealing cars or $15/hr minimum wage" will be valid options for a career?

Also, do you think that this is gonna impact graduation rates and make them yet worse? Not only that, but do you think that people who are getting bonused off graduation rates are gonna let this happen? There will be pre-made versions of this up on the Internet almost as fast as it can be produced, and will anyone care to validate these?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info