Drug addiction? A disease?

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
ya probably pretty good debate :rofl: I can't even say where I stand but probably leaning towards it is a disease and eventually will find a specific gene that is turned on in some people.

I could see it being nature and nurture relatively speaking. That said, alcoholism etc. can definitely be a genetic predisposition.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
its something like 75% of heroin addicts started off using prescription opioids. The only disease I seem to find here is big pharma and corrupt doctors turning a blind eye to an epidemic they created.

I do also think some people have a genetic 'switch' in their brain that whenever a drug enters the body, they just cannot get enough of it. I wouldn't say that's a disease though.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
its something like 75% of heroin addicts started off using prescription opioids. The only disease I seem to find here is big pharma and corrupt doctors turning a blind eye to an epidemic they created.

I do also think some people have a genetic 'switch' in their brain that whenever a drug enters the body, they just cannot get enough of it. I wouldn't say that's a disease though.

There is this too. Big pharma has definitely had a hand in creating the latest opioid epidemic. It's kind of a repeat of the laudanum addictions that happened 100ish years ago.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I'm sure it is. Then we'll start seeing all the silly drug company ads on TV to combat it, yet put you at risk for 75 other issues you DON'T want like pissing blood, no control over your bowels, chronic hurling, loss of hair, prone to heart attack... But you won't be on illegal drugs anymore...

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
I agree, addiction is not a disease as a real disease happening in the body that a person has no control over.

I’ll tell Ya though, it certainly has to be a real bitch, using alcohol as an example, to drink so much that a person becomes chemically dependent & without drinking 24-7 they feel like jumping off a cliff.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
Oh I'm not saying substances can't be addictive, that's 100% real. I just believe that anyone can "cure" an addiction by working on self control.

Some substances you have to ween off. It's just the nature of the beast of substance addiction.

Yes, do yourself a favor and everyone reading this.
Stay the fuck away from Xanax or any benzodiazepine

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
As someone that has never done drugs I could take this hardline stance easily as i do feel it takes a weak willed person to feel the need to do any form of drugs. However, mental illness, mental diseases and addiction is a real thing and some people are more susceptible to becoming addicted than others.

Cliff notes: Although i am superior to most everyone on Earth, it's idiotic to think mental diseases do not share the same levity as physical diseases.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota

Isnt FX or some channel doing a show now called SNOWFALL or something about how the drugs in the US as an "epidemic" was created by the government? And has quite substantial proof that the US even spread it globally?

It sure doesn't surprise me at all. I watched some show last week on how the govt was using it as a war and as the comment was made on the show said.

"drug war feeds itself, once you create the monster there is no stopping it"

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Isnt FX or some channel doing a show now called SNOWFALL or something about how the drugs in the US as an "epidemic" was created by the government? And has quite substantial proof that the US even spread it globally?

It sure doesn't surprise me at all. I watched some show last week on how the govt was using it as a war and as the comment was made on the show said.

"drug war feeds itself, once you create the monster there is no stopping it"

History channel I think, its on my to watch list. A lot of drugs including LSD were introduced to the public by shady CIA operations.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info