Best Budget Steak Houses in Chicago/Suburb Area

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Lonestar is no longer around here. I think Joliet and Gurnee are the only ones left sadly.

Outback isn't bad, but they don't have as good cheese fries, and they don't have a good steak soup like Lonestar. But much like LS, the bread and butter are a hit too.

Texas Roadhouse isn't too bad either, been there a couple times, but there aren't many locations convienent (Naperville and Crystal Lake are the closest for us). Last Friday night, the wife took me up to Texas Roadhouse up in Crystal Lake for the B-Day. Not a fan of their butter for the bread, so I ask for regular. Also not a fan of their steak sauce. It is a little sweeter than A1, but I don't care for the aftertaste.

Applebee's, TGI's, are ok, but generally small portion steaks by comparison. You also don't have the level of appetizers, bread, butter, etc like Outback/Lonestar/Texas Roadhouse.

Red Lobster also had a pretty good one (I think it's a new york strip), despite not being their specialty. that and come of their biscuits... Ain't too bad...

Olive Garden USED to have a tuscan steak on their menu (one of the few things I will eat there), but last time we went, they took it off. So I pretty much ate breadsticks.

Jimmy's Charhouse is a little more "fancy" by comparison to the ones mentioned above, but are good too.

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
Texas Roadhouse > Lone Star > Outback.

Lone Star has a much better atmosphere though.

Applebee's is a surprise. Have they really upped their game in the last couple years? Gonna have to check it out.

I had a blackened prime rib with sauteed mushrooms and onions at the Roadhouse over the weekend. For around $20 it's a solid deal.

HeavyG

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 3, 2007
Ruth Chris's and now Coopers Hawk are more upscale.

They're excellent, but definitely more $$$

Coopers Hawk I recently discovered a few years back....man they seal the deal on many levels......everything there is superb.

Have you tried there Sangria...unlike any other.

Overall Dinner, Ambiance and Service are outstanding......at least the one out in Naperville

CMNTMXR57

Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I have always enjoyed it. We hit the one in Hoffman Estates since it's near work. They also just opened one in St. Charles on North Ave. right outside of Charlestowne.

A couple others I forgot;

- Longhorn
- Wildfire
- Claim Jumpers

These are a little more upscale though.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I have always enjoyed it. We hit the one in Hoffman Estates since it's near work. They also just opened one in St. Charles on North Ave. right outside of Charlestowne.

A couple others I forgot;

- Longhorn
- Wildfire
- Claim Jumpers

These are a little more upscale though.

Longhorn is good. I prefer Longhorn to Texas Roadhouse.

Also enjoy Jameson's Charhouse.

As well as Stony River among the others mentioned in this thread.

Stony River is good too!

In the South suburbs, I like Krapil's. It's not the cheapest, but it's definitely reasonable. Great quality food and a nice spot to grab dinner on a summer night if you can get a seat on their patio.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire

Stony River is good too!

In the South suburbs, I like Krapil's. It's not the cheapest, but it's definitely reasonable. Great quality food and a nice spot to grab dinner on a summer night if you can get a seat on their patio.
I second Longhorn. Nice, juicy, great seasoning and flavor, ect. Just all around good food.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Dont know any steak houses, but Ive actually had decent steaks at Applebees and TGIFridays.

Outback is a nice cheap steak with a delicious blooming onion.

Ive also had good steaks at some hole in the wall hibachi grills.

Not cheap, but Magianos has great steak too.

CMNTMXR57

Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Harry Caray! 40 day Dry aged Ribeye with some lobster mash potatoes ftw!

YES! However, it isn't much on a budget. :D You do get to pick it out like Gibson's, Smith and Wollensky, Morton's, etc though.

Keep in mind, you're going to a much nicer, upscale place vs. Texas Roadhouse.

Golden Corral

All you can eat on the cheap!

I was tempted to mention this but thought I might get laughed at. The problem is, there is sooo much good here, that I pig out on everything.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info