Anyone Been To San Diego

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
I've been and it was probably my favorite destination to date.

My favorite was ocean kayaking in La Jolla with the sea lions and going into some of the small coastal caves.

Coronado Island was lots of fun touristy but a nice beach and wonderful resort to hang out at.

Zoo and Safari Park are a lot of fun.

The Fish Market Restaurant right on the harbor is a must IMO. View of the Naval yard and amazing food. Hash House is another great spot for breakfast.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Yes. But it's been a couple years.

Stayed right in the Marina district (Marriot I believe), did all the sites on the Embarcadero, the USS Midway museum, then went and checked out downtown, up to La Jolla. Had a great steak at the Greystone in the Gaslamp district. It was advertised as a steak for two at 44oz, so I thought I was getting two... :D Really it was one big one and I ate the whole fucking thing. As well as the bowl of mashed potatoes. :D

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
I've driven from Phoenix to San Diego...its decently fun drive to be honest if you take Highway 8. Lots of cool sand dunes, and mountains. Stopped in Yuma just to feel the hottest city in America.

I'd recommend checking out La Jolla for sure. Walk around, grab lunch and a beer, and go see seal beach. Stone brewery is cool to check out if you like beer.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I was at a conference in Anaheim a couple years ago and the wife came with. We had an extra day so we road tripped to The Whale's Vagina and met up with my boss for lunch. I was actually surprised by how many bums there were. We walked to the Midway but didn't go on the ship, I wish I would have know about the zoo. Drove by the gaslight district and Petco park. The downtown has some shady folks as well. All in all I wasn't wowed.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Just to warn you I've never seen so many homeless people in one spot, and that's comparing other CA cities

Otherwise all the areas to the north along the coast and the cliffs are amazing

This is how I felt about Myrtle Beach. They were parked all over the boardwalk. We were all in shorts/teeshirts and they were bundled up like it was winter. Very strange. I guess the mild weather places draw people that live outside though. I often wonder why the bums in chicago dont thumb their way down to florida or something... Chicago winters are brutal.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Yea, if I were a bum, sunny southern California would be high on my list of locations to claim an expressway corner to Myself. I would prefer to be in L.A., but you figure that area has the market cornered, so San Diego would be a good choice, plus Messyco is just over the border if you just have to get away from the law for some brazziere reason.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
I lived there for six years or so. Ate lots of Roberto's on Miramar Rd . Gaslamp had some overpriced beer. There are some incredible roads for driving inland (not sure if you're going to have that kind of vehicle), we used to head up to Palomar Mtn and/or Wildcat Canyon all the time. Harassed lobsters while snorkeling in that cove in La Jolla. Sat on the beach and drank cheap beer (did they ban then unban beer, I can't remember... when I left they were talking about banning it but then recently I think someone said they did ban it, then unbanned? Not sure). Watch out for military fucknuts everywhere doing poser alpha shit.

The zoo is pretty cool, as is the wild animal park, as far as family stuff goes. The beaches and boardwalks are nice. Pt Loma is a good place to visit and you can see some neat military junk from up there. Do the Midway tour for sure.

ChrisRac

Still not Italian
TCG Premium
Jan 31, 2008
Gilbert, AZ
Real Name
I Think That’s Obvious
Just to warn you I've never seen so many homeless people in one spot, and that's comparing other CA cities

Have you been to Pioneer Square in Seattle? That was the worst for me.

Its been several years since ive been to san diego, but Little Italy wasnt a bad place to hang out for a little while

Right up my alley!

I've driven from Phoenix to San Diego...its decently fun drive to be honest if you take Highway 8. Lots of cool sand dunes, and mountains. Stopped in Yuma just to feel the hottest city in America.

That's the route I'm planning. Haven't driven the 8 yet.

I lived there for six years or so. Ate lots of Roberto's on Miramar Rd . Gaslamp had some overpriced beer. There are some incredible roads for driving inland (not sure if you're going to have that kind of vehicle), we used to head up to Palomar Mtn and/or Wildcat Canyon all the time. Harassed lobsters while snorkeling in that cove in La Jolla. Sat on the beach and drank cheap beer (did they ban then unban beer, I can't remember... when I left they were talking about banning it but then recently I think someone said they did ban it, then unbanned? Not sure). Watch out for military fucknuts everywhere doing poser alpha shit.

The zoo is pretty cool, as is the wild animal park, as far as family stuff goes. The beaches and boardwalks are nice. Pt Loma is a good place to visit and you can see some neat military junk from up there. Do the Midway tour for sure.

Thanks for the info everyone! Helps a bunch!

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
I can't tell you how much Eriberto's I disgustingly shoved down my gullet right off of Vandegrift outside the south gate of Pendleton.

Seemed like every other day we'd make a lunch run for the shop. :rofl:

I guess Roberto's is Rigoberto's now... Or maybe it was all that time and I was always just too drunk or hungover to notice :rofl:

Lee's haircut was in the same strip mall so I'd hit Rigoberto's up at the very least once a week. Their carne asada burrito with extra jalapenos was ridiculous. My pasty ass has a weak stomach so I'd spend most of my Sunday nights and Monday mornings glued to the shitter screaming... so worth it, especially since I was on the can for Monday morning FOD walk.

I miss that place. And, oddly enough, wings 'n' things.... For some reason I fell in love with those wings. Not as good as Mister Spots but damn good nonetheless. When I was in Chicago, I tried finding wings akin to those and had a real hard time. For a couple years, I lived a block away from the Fifty/50 which supposedly had some award winning wings but always walked away underwhelmed. Around here, no JBX, no In N Out, no Wings N Things.... Like a true fat kid, the things I remember most about a place all have to do with food or beer....

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
Wow I am schock it took 25 post's for someone to post a meme...

images

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info