Barnwood/Rustic Kitchen and Bathroom I built

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Most of my projects are pretty normal. Tile floors and walls, oak finishes....normal stuff. This was different than what I usually do, and was somewhat of a learning experience.

The house was built in 1920ish and belonged to an older retired couple. The kitchen was in really bad shape. I don't have many pic's from before.

You can see what the floor was like before.

Lots of plaster was gone, and the ceiling pretty much fell down when I removed the upper cabinets. That wasn't something we were planning on, so I got to replace all that. There was also at one time some severe water leaks in this area that had rotted out a lot of the ceiling joists. I cut new joists to brace the rotted ones, then put the new ceiling up. This is with the drywall up and a few pieces of the corrugated tin installed.

I found a local guy that was taking down a barn that was built in 1923. We ended up spending about $1800 on just barnwood for this project.

6bRtcND.jpg

Now for the finished pic's. There is still a little bit of painting that the homeowner needs to do on some trim pieces. The vertical pieces of siding you see here are original to the house. They were hiding under a layer of drywall that we removed, so we removed them and relocated them.

Zwic7et.jpg

The floor was covered with linolium, but underneath that was a pretty nice oak wood floor. So that was sanded down and refinished. I built all the cabinets and doors from scratch. The countertops were made from full dimensional 2x6's butted together. They are a little over 2" thick total.

yGg0ZcF.jpg

The exterior door you see here was installed in place of a window.
QFynMkE.jpg

IeYQXPp.jpg

Gpb1YxU.jpg

D4517od.jpg

05koP8D.jpg

Since we did not have any upper cabinets, (we used shelves instead) and Lowes was telling me that there is no other way to mount this microwave, I had to get creative. I welded up a bracket from 1" square tubing and painted it flat black.

NxMWT6N.jpg

5G0rX58.jpg

17aQBuw.jpg

And to finish up, I had to build a set of steps on the outside leading up to the new door.

uiwfgau.jpg

Hope you enjoy.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info