Trenchless Sewer Pipe Repair? for cracked/leaking pipe line?

HeavyG

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 3, 2007

HeavyG

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 3, 2007
thanks for the responses

I don't believe it's a foundation issue as the pipes are 100 years old and this issue is common around my area where there's lots of old houses...

I can't imagine it being cheaper to dig as this possible rupture is under the house....we'd have to break many floors...

does anyone have a guy? thanks

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Just pay to have the yard dug up and new PVC pipe installed. My sewer line collapsed a couple years back, and I contemplated renting a backhoe and doing it myself, but figured for $5k, I'd rather just pay someone to do it rather than risk making things worse.

That said, but buddy did rent a backhoe and do it himself and he had no issues.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
I've done sewer work in the past and seen those liners fail after a few years. Those liners only work for so long due to the original pipe failing in the first place. Usually it's tree roots that have crept into the lines, if they can get into the old pipe they can get into the liner. Also you'll have issues with flow, those liners only expand to fill the gaps. If the pipe is crumpled or has shit sticking to the inside of the pipe the liner will have a narrower opening and you'll get clogs much easier.

I'd get the sewer line inspected to find out where the break is at. If it's outside the house you'll be better served in the long run to dig out the yard and replace the line. 8 out of 10 times the sewer line is broken outside the foundation.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
My house in WeGo used to have this problem (at least until some storms took out the trees along the "parkway" :D ). Since the trees were in that "parkway" (the tract of land from the sidewalk to the street), that was the city's dime not ours, so every few years they'd have to come, rod what they could, then it got to the point where the roots had grown so much, they had to dig it all out. At which time they put in a big PVC access port to get in easier.

Anyway, if this is truly "under the house", I'd rule out tree roots. I'd wonder why the pipe is cracked? Is it from settling of the foundation? From my understanding of standard basement/foundation construction, is that there are big concrete slabs that run the length of your basement floor. Then the actual concrete basement floor is poured on top of that and effectively rests on those supports (think of it like a wood floor with studs to support the floor and the boards layed over them and nailed down... Same concept). Anyway, is that "settling" causing a pipe to be crushed??

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
My company has actually performed this type of repair and it works very well. We do not perform this on sanitary sewers just on domestic water lines. The method to this is a two piece kevler liner. There is a resin that is pumped between the two liners as the liner is being pulled through host pipe, Hot water is then pumped into liner which helps in two ways.... 1, it helps shape the liner to the host pipe and 2 it speeds up cure time. This is the new innovative way of repairing pipes

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info