Craigslist fun

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
:rofl:

I always seem to find a reasonable person, sometimes it just takes a while.

Same. I kept getting Cleetus with no proper English asking me how much I was asking for my CB1000 and where it's located despite both being in the header of the ad, then offering me about 40% because "no one buys those bikes". Sold it for asking to a reasonable guy from IN who was buying it for his first bike and was genuinely interested in it and gave me no hassle. Just gotta wade through the retards and someone will show up eventually.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
Making them email you instead of texting really weeds out the bottom feeders. Give a phone number for texting and you're in for a ride.

this. i never have my number in the adds, and only give it out when a price and meetup have been made.

i love when they make a super low offer, then say it's because they have to drive a long ways to get it. k then fuck off and find something closer, not going to sell it for half my asking because you're an hour+ away.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Favorite message "what's your lowest?"

Especially when it's the first thing they ask... Not "Hi, how are you, I'm inquiring about..." Nope, "what's your lowest..."

WTF! Like I'm going to tell you!

Something I currently have up there, first post I get is nearly half the price I'm asking (which I posted a competitive price based on other similar items)... "will you take XXX"

No, I'm not a fucking charity.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
this. i never have my number in the adds, and only give it out when a price and meetup have been made.

i love when they make a super low offer, then say it's because they have to drive a long ways to get it. k then fuck off and find something closer, not going to sell it for half my asking because you're an hour+ away.
That shit is annoying too. If I'm interested in buying something I may ask if they ever make it closer to me, if not then I'm driving my ass to go get it if I want it bad enough.

P40E

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2012
People that talk shit when buying things are usually the ones that never buy anything anyway . Don't respond to them the first time they start sending dumb messages to you . It's a game to them , they probably text and type stupid shit online all day , it's a new era .

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
People that talk shit when buying things are usually the ones that never buy anything anyway . Don't respond to them the first time they start sending dumb messages to you . It's a game to them , they probably text and type stupid shit online all day , it's a new era .

I do. The person asking for nearly half the price, I ignored.

As to emailing vs. my number to text. I'd rather have them text. Why? I find I get more spam via email, not that you can't ignore or defer that to another folder, but it can sometimes make finding it with all the other crap you get, a PITA. Second, I don't just put my number in plain numbers, I alternate it with number-name of the next number-number, for example (1-Two-3) Four-5-Six - 7-Eight-9-Ten. This seems to weed out some of the riff-raff as it actually makes them figure it out and put some thought into it.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
This certainly goes both ways.

As someone that has sold hundreds of items on forums, craigslist and eBay, I can say that there are a lot of ignorant sellers.

In my experience, nearly every seller thinks what they have is worth close to full retail value and either don't do any research on what items are selling for, either don't care, or are just way too stupid.

Listing an item higher to leave room for negotiation is good. But, asking 30-40% over what the item goes for is stupid and clearly the seller is out to make a buck.

I avoid dealing with sellers on craigslist, as again, it's worth more than unobtanium these days.

I cannot stress enough to sellers. Do some god damn research. Your iPhone that you paid $700 for new is not worth $1,500 used. Your watch that you paid $500 new is not worth $450 used.

Sure, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay. But, that is why there is a thing called market value. If your item is higher priced, but, can't be justified at a higher cost due to condition, etc. good luck selling it.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood

Had someone drive out from Indiana to buy a 351w roller shortblock I had, ad said $150 firm, not going to budge, he agreed to the price and drove out then hit me with the "will you take $120 because I drove out from Indiana?"

Said you just wasted a whole lotta gas for nothing. :rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info