PS4 VR - Do I want it?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I liked playing on that rig that Kevin brought on Mancation. Though I don't know I liked it enough to spend, what, a couple thousand on the whole thing?

Project Cars literally made me puke from that rig. But that was a home tuned setup. I'd hope that the PS4 is more plug and play as far as latency, settings and such.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
It works best with a ps4 pro but a ps4 pro is not neccessary. I have one and it's fun for quite some time. Eventually, you play less and less of it. Last game I played on it was Resident Evil and that definitely takes a toll on you. I still think they can tweak it for better responsiveness but it's actually not all that bad out of the box. There's a thread in the entertainment section where we've discussed several games in VR and our opinions on it. If you don't mind playing a few games here and there then by all means, it's not bad to get one.

I do honestly think they should come out with better/more games for it. There's a bunch of demos out that you can try as well. There was one racing game I played the demo of and it was actually pretty cool. Takes a brief minute or two to get used to it and I'm sure you'll get some enjoyment out of it. If not, then there's a few "party" type games you can pick up and play with friends and family as well.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Did you really throw up on Mancation? I could see how that set-up might disorient people. I never played the race car game, just the bow/arrow one...that was pretty cool, though a bit of a novelty.

Sure did. I kept going back thinking I just needed to condition myself, but kept feeling pukey after each race.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i just got one although just got back into the country so i have been busy with a bunch of shit. whole ps4 rig.

lots of wires. it's common for people to feel nauseous playing vr because the brain expects and body experiences are pretty different. i got this bike i invested in, in which you are/control some avatar in the game plus you have something your body is moving and feeling things on. plus you get exercise and less fat as you play games.

i've assembled it but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. i'm not even sleeping normally yet (although have been home long enough i should have fixed this one. :p)

https://techcrunch.com/2016/06/21/virzoom/

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
I think its a pretty capable unit for its price bracket, especially if you already have a ps4. There still really isnt that GAME that makes it a must have unit. Most "Games" are just glorified tech demos at this point still, aside from resident evil like importcrew mentioned, which you can fully play in VR, and it is creepily spectacular to be fully immersed in that world. There probably are better game offerings on oculus and vive, but unless you're a hardcore gamer, which you already said you arent, theres still plenty of fun experiences to be had with psvr. The batman game is still probably my favorite one yet, tho its way too short. Thumper, which was adapted to include a VR mode is fun, and even tho you dont HAVE to play that game in VR, just being in that world gives it a whole different feel. And there are lots of other demos and experiences on the VR Worlds disc that are lots of fun too. Especially the London Heist demo. Not mention the other apps and youtube where you can watch 360 vids of pretty much anything. I still have not tried to watch a 3D bluray yet, which was added w/ the last update. Wanna see what thats like.

The headset itself is VERY comfortable and very well balanced. You can even wear glasses while using it doesnt interfere at all. There are a lot of cables. A lot. But its all pretty straight forward, and once you know what goes where it doesnt long to set everything up and tear it back down. Pro tip: Get VELCRO TIES. And use them.

For a poverty VR setup, I think the psvr works very well with what its got. Developers just need to be convinced that its a viable platform to work with. With the amount of psvr units that have actually sold so far, I'm hopeful it's got their attention. Farpoint just came out w/ the new aim gun peripheral. I kinda wanna pick that up. Got pretty decent reviews. I also still wanna pick up Eagle Flight.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Got it. Short verdict: VR is the future.

I love it so far. I've had all of 10 minutes to play around with it without kids but all the demos are a blast, especially the driving one. It is pretty cool to be in the cockpit and look at the rear and side view mirrors to check them or the instrument cluster. It's like you're in a real life, usable interior and that is both weird and cool. Rolling through the timed laps is addictive though because you feel like you're in the car.

My one gripe with this, and I kind of expected it but not this bad: resolution. And not even resolution but blurriness. No wonder there's no difference in graphics between the PS4 and PS4 Pro. There's no way you'd ever be able to pick out the detail. With the headset fully dialed in and setup properly it still isn't sharp, especially with any kind of action. Reviews all mentioned this but I wasn't expecting it to be this bad. The lenses also get dirty really easy and seem to distort if your eyes are anywhere other than dead center on them.

Overall though, first impressions are that it's a keeper.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i never used VR before and had some similar first impressions with this - wasn't sure if i had things on exactly right. so far i've only played a few of the demo things. whatever that one is with the flashlight where you have no weapon, i figured something was going to get me and i'd just feel helpless. even knowing that was coming, when it happened i was like fuuuuuck.

i plan on trying the bike controller out this weekend.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Playing a horror kind of game is actually pretty cool so long as it's made well. Resident evil 7 was awesome with how they incorporated the VR into it but make sure you set up the settings right or it just sucks and get you motion sickness. Hell, even after a little while you may still get it. Lol. But it's pretty cool. Try red boxing the game and give it a try.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I've had this thing for a couple weeks now. I haven't touched it for over a week. It's not like I got bored. I didn't. I actually have a desire to use it. The problem is there's nothing to play. There's like two decent games for it and that's it. Once you get beyond the demo discs it's like now what?

I don't follow gaming that much. Are they releasing more titles for this? I'd love to use it with a VR platformer like they released with the Rift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6amrPrmzi6c

For as long as this has been out I thought there would have been more games for it or at least a stream of good stuff coming soon but I can't even seem to find a decent amount of news for new titles. Is this thing DOA?

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
VR is a gimmick.
giphy.gif

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I've had this thing for a couple weeks now. I haven't touched it for over a week. It's not like I got bored. I didn't. I actually have a desire to use it. The problem is there's nothing to play. There's like two decent games for it and that's it. Once you get beyond the demo discs it's like now what?

I don't follow gaming that much. Are they releasing more titles for this? I'd love to use it with a VR platformer like they released with the Rift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6amrPrmzi6c

For as long as this has been out I thought there would have been more games for it or at least a stream of good stuff coming soon but I can't even seem to find a decent amount of news for new titles. Is this thing DOA?
This is the major hold back with VR currently. Content. It's the prime reason I don't have a fancy VR headset. I have the PC power to run the Oculus but there's only a handful of games and half of them I have no desire to play.

Maybe for a couple hundred bucks but it's not worth it at $700+ for a decent headset.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
VR is a gimmick.

You really think so? Have you tried it? The racing game demo that comes with PSVR is pretty nuts in terms of reality. When I want to see my speed I check my gauges. When I want to look behind me I look in the rear view mirror. It's a level of immersion unlike anything else.

To me a gimmick is Wii or Whatever the motion joysticks for PS4 and Xbox are. This doesn't seem like a gimmick though. The hardware is bad ass. It just needs accompanying software.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info