Travel Trailer Camping - Suggestions?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
For those who camp with families; what was your 'first' travel trailer?

Its been 'in the cards' for my wife and I having our first kid and the dogs to pickup a small travel trailer (or make use of our In-Law's 28 foot trailer).

With the large trailer being a little ratty, and being too large for me to tow with the Explorer, I've started poking around at 18-22 foot ~3500lb travel trailers with space to sleep 4 (Dogs, My wife and I, Kid).

I'm seeing some examples that have a queen at the front, and then a bunk tucked in the back. Pricing seems to be ALL over the place, no idea where to even start on that, thoughts/help/guidance?

I'm seeing new ones can be had around $13,000, and I'm seeing 15-20 year old examples for under $4,000, but they don't seem to age especially well, so I'm a little lost/curious/etc.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
From what I read is buy as new as possible to avoid leak issues, which I guess is the biggest complaint

My concern is dropping $10,000 on something as a 'first timer' to it, and then end up not using it as much as expected.

Getting into Scooters was such a low price of entry, that even if I don't use it as much as I did previously its not like I couldn't get my money back out of it easily enough.

Tent Camping is tremendously enjoyable for us, but with Dogs and a Kid on the way its time to step up, Just fearful of that kind of price of entry.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
You may want to table it until the kiddo is a couple years old, ESP with that level of uncertainty.. I'm pretty uncertain myself even with a 2 year old but gonna test the waters this year.

Its not so much a matter of uncertainty, it's the "It's something new to me and I don't want to loose my ass on it". All my automotive endevours are rather safe because I know how much I can get back out of cars/trucks/parts/etc, with Travel Trailers, their prices just seem to free-fall, so I don't really know what the 'sweet spot' is so to speak.

Even if we don't make tremendous use of it, I just don't want to regret the purchase by finding out I could have had the same experience for a fraction of the cost going used with a different brand for example.

they're a few places in the area that rent various models and sizes. wouldn't be a bad idea to experiment

I was actually just on some websites looking at rentals thinking about that exact approach.

plenty of campgrounds rent trailers. unless you are camping ALL the time, or going off the grid camping there is no need to buy right away.

Yea; I'm not in any rush, just started poking around today and was curious who all on here was knowledgeable on the topic.

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
hell if [MENTION=111]OffshoreDrilling[/MENTION] can rebuild his yacht in a parking lot. pick up a cheap rig and fix it up as needed. cant be any worse than normal wood rot, and fiberglass and rehabing in the inside seems simple enough. my budget is $4k for the exact parameters you've set. I've been looking at hybrids tho

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
My neighbor is selling a really nice travel trailer it is pretty big but he just wants out of it to make room for a new toy he paid around 30k for it new it's an 08' only been used a hand full of times when he used to travel and work pipeline, I believe he's asking 9k I just looked it up on nada for him yesterday it books for 11-13k depending on the shape, but it is a 28-29' if I remember right

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
You may want to table it until the kiddo is a couple years old, ESP with that level of uncertainty.. I'm pretty uncertain myself even with a 2 year old but gonna test the waters this year.

keep yo kids mobile.

my buddy swears by this "motto"

took his 4 kids, ages 3, 6, 8, 10 on a 2 and a half week road trip to san diego and back last year in his 29' long rv... says it was one of the best times of his life.

they're a few places in the area that rent various models and sizes. wouldn't be a bad idea to experiment

:werd:

toyhauleroffroadtiregoodness.

The Bluegrass Nomad

Five-oh ho no mo
Feb 4, 2011
Sadieville, KY
Before you purchase, inspect the roof, carefully. Look for soft spots and dry rot. Small tears in roof can be repaired with adhesive. Also look for vinyl siding that has come unlaminated from the side of the trailer. This indicates either a leak or a past leak and could be rotted interior walls in that location. Its hard to spot bad interior walls as most trailers are wall papered and cover the issue.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I think we'd like 'facilities', which rules out pop-ups, and the explorer can handle the weight of something larger. I don't see being without a decent sized truck/SUV again to be honest, it's been a god send for the dogs and working on the house.

All the 'RV' shows seem to have only been super early spring sadly.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
because fuck property taxes? :rofl: I know the 1% aren't rolling around in RV's, no matter how nice.

agree to disagree on that one.

household making 450k and up is top 1% iirc...

those people can definitely be seen buying stuff like this

https://www.rvtrader.com/Prevost-Fo...evost|765320335&sort=featured:asc&radius=150&

58ff6a777b06a441b9788f5a.jpg

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
honestly if i were you, i'd wait til the fall at this point... when people have to store them or whatever.

RV's have been selling in absolute record numbers this year. the market is fucking insane.

I've noticed that the options on Craigslist were all over the place for the same general thing, which gives me the impression that it's a hot market right now where private parties are swinging all over the place.

Like I was saying, I'm not in a rush, just wanting to learn so I don't get screwed or do something stupid.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info