Debt Relief or Forgiveness

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
Has anyone used one of these services like 'National Debt Relief' or something similar? I have a friend who is in a bind and asked me for advice; she is considering this after a consultation with them over the phone. There has to be a better way but I have no clue. She owes somewhere around $15k, has kids, and a deadbeat ex-husband who is jobless and living with mommy. Any advice?

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Has anyone used one of these services like 'National Debt Relief' or something similar? I have a friend who is in a bind and asked me for advice; she is considering this after a consultation with them over the phone. There has to be a better way but I have no clue. She owes somewhere around $15k, has kids, and a deadbeat ex-husband who is jobless and living with mommy. Any advice?

I have contact who is a lawyer, who can help get money out of deadbeat dad, but it's a lawyer, so obviously, it'll cost her...

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
If the kid is young, she stands to gain money up until the kid is 18.

GF is fighting a deadbeat dad now (she's a lawyer), that keeps quitting his job when child support catches up to him and starts garnishing his wages. He's going to jail because of his avoidance, and he still has 5 figures worth of back child support that is collecting interest. Even if he files bankruptcy, child support is not something you can get out from underneath.

Get a good lawyer, and they can find the money. It hurts upfront, but a good lawyer can keep getting you money long after they're gone.

CuzzinOlaf

TCG Elite Member
May 16, 2014
Spring Grove
So his mom is paying her $1k a month (she has multiple kids) she said. That is barely enough for her to survive with all of their expenses. His mom has made countless promises to pay for extra circular activities (Tae Kwon Do, hockey, camp, etc.) and never followed through. The grandma has been late on making his child support payments also because of her own financial problems. When she did threaten court, the grandma showed up begging her not to follow through because it'll ruin her snowflake son.

Another thing, the divorce paperwork said he needed to furnish his tax returns for child support purposes. He has his own small side business and says he hasn't made enough money to file tax returns and hasn't filed for several years. Obviously, this is a lie, wouldn't the IRS come after him after a year or two?

Lots to take in, I know, I was dumbfounded when I first heard all about this too. I appreciate the conversation and will be sending her this link to read for herself.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
So his mom is paying her $1k a month (she has multiple kids) she said. That is barely enough for her to survive with all of their expenses. His mom has made countless promises to pay for extra circular activities (Tae Kwon Do, hockey, camp, etc.) and never followed through. The grandma has been late on making his child support payments also because of her own financial problems. When she did threaten court, the grandma showed up begging her not to follow through because it'll ruin her snowflake son.

Another thing, the divorce paperwork said he needed to furnish his tax returns for child support purposes. He has his own small side business and says he hasn't made enough money to file tax returns and hasn't filed for several years. Obviously, this is a lie, wouldn't the IRS come after him after a year or two?

Lots to take in, I know, I was dumbfounded when I first heard all about this too. I appreciate the conversation and will be sending her this link to read for herself.

THAT sounds like she needs to maybe at least consult with an attorney on this situation...there's money being hidden...and a court order can and will bring those out, and the IRS will come for their money too. Lawyer up. If they're in the northern Chicagoland area, let me know I can give you my GF's contact. But either way, it sounds like she needs to lawyer up (who may also be able to help with the debt issue, depending on what their practice includes.)

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I think so too, but he still doesn't have any money, lives at home, etc. I assume his mom is paying for his truck, but could be wrong. What kind of income would be needed to finance a $25k truck with horrible credit?

Well, what the attorney will do, is demand all receipts/invoices/PO's from his "business", any tax returns, any sources of income (attorney may be able to prove money from mom is "income"). That way they can form a more realistic picture of what he actually has vs. what he says he has.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I think she's afraid she'll get less if he truly is making nothing. She heard somewhere that they'll assess his financial situation and if he isn't making anything, they come up with a value based on minimum wage. That is less than half of what she's getting now.

That's why the consultation is important. Try and find an honest lawyer, you would trust, to give a recommendation.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Child support and family practice and divorce is a fairly specialized form of law. My defense attorney uncle was not able to do a fairly simple, amicable divorce, passed it along to my GF. Lot's of weird in's and out's and processes. Unless they specialize in it, I'd recommend getting a recommendation from them for a family practice attorney.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Don't they have assisted living programs for women with low income and children. Specifically buildings of women only in the same situation? Can she get on some welfare or food stamps to help make things a little easier?

I hate hearing these stores. Deadbeat dads like this ruin it for all of us that are trying to be good fathers.

I got a good lawyer. Sending you a pm

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
She might get screwed taking him to court, might be better off just accepting what she is getting.
Child Support in Illinois is a fucking joke imo. They threaten to suspend your license, take your passport away or throw you in jail. I havent seen them do any of that.
My brother and a good friend of mine are both dead beat fathers. Both owe in excess of $60k. Both still have their licenses, passports, and neither have been locked up for it. Both of their baby mama's have taken them to court NUMEROUS times and always the same shit, they cant prove their working. There are ways around the whole proof of working and tax documents. My brother at one point had his own business for about 5 years and they couldnt prove any financial income.
On another note, my Dad who is 61 years old still has his wages garnished for child support for me and both my brothers and we range from 37-40 years old, lol. He hasnt seen a tax return in like 20 years as they take it every year. He has tried to fight it, but because my mom was on welfare with 3 kids for 15 or so years, they say he owes the state and not my Mom.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Don't they have assisted living programs for women with low income and children. Specifically buildings of women only in the same situation? Can she get on some welfare or food stamps to help make things a little easier?

I hate hearing these stores. Deadbeat dads like this ruin it for all of us that are trying to be good fathers.

I got a good lawyer. Sending you a pm

That would be public housing (section 8) and unless things have changed its like a 4-5 year waiting list.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info