looking to barrow high end VCR

turtleman

Addict
Sep 6, 2009
Villa Park, IL
Real Name
covid
It's a long shot but TCG is pretty good about those so I figured I'd check

I'm ripping some home video tapes to digital with an ION video2pc so I want to get hold of a decent machine to run the tapes. Minimally something that has S-VIDEO.
I've searched the usual vanes to buy something used but I didn't happen on any good options. It's hard to even find a high end VCR and they are $$$

Anyway I'm looking to barrow one for like a day and I'll pay for it

turtleman

Addict
Sep 6, 2009
Villa Park, IL
Real Name
covid
Pawn shops ehh - sounds like a goose chase - i'm not tryin to spend that kinda time on it. If I can't find anything I'll use a plain vcr but I just hate to 'cause I'll always being thinkin I could have extracted better quality from the tapes before I destroyed em

I used to have a decent vcr with s-video. And had a dual vcr/dvd combo. But alas, I got rid of those as well. I can ask my brother if we still have one in the basement somewhere. :dunno:

We have one like that in the house which I just hooked up and found that the s-video is only for the dvd side of it. Although this one is just a cheapo emerson, I bet most of them are like that.

turtleman

Addict
Sep 6, 2009
Villa Park, IL
Real Name
covid
Does high end = S video, or are there other features you are looking for?

I think I have one in the basement.

According to what I found googling it, no but if it has s-video, it's still a worthwhile degree better than the lower 90% mainstream out there for the s-video connection alone and it's something a typical consumer might actually have. All the S-VHS aka super VHS decks have that afaik.
I remember my dad bought one from JVC (an S-VHS player) right around when DVD's were starting to take over but VHS was still pretty prevalent.

VCR Buying Guide (S-VHS, D-VHS, Professional) for restoring video - digitalFAQ Forum

That's a pretty helpful source. They run through the principle tech features that a high end VCR would have. I don't know much about that stuff but it looks like anything really good is prosumer/professional market so you'd have to be pretty serious to own anything that elite.

BTW I searched ebay and there's just about nothing on that list to be found and anything that vaguely looks like what they're talking about is hundreds of dollars

So the long and short of it is I was hoping maybe somebody that built a nice ass theater in the 90's or somethin might still have a crazy VCR but if not, then anything with S-video would be extremely helpful

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info