Best way to reach the owner of an abandoned house?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
So there's this house 2 doors down from us that's been abandoned for 10 years apparently. I had no idea. It's set 15 feet above us (we live on a hill) so I never noticed and I've lived here for 4 years almost.

There's an old CJ5 Jeep in the driveway with registration stickers from 2007 that's had it's top off for 10 years and it shows. The house itself appears to be in good structural condition but the windows on the doors are shattered, the doors are unlocked and there's a serious mold problem just on basic inspection (the ceiling drywall is covered in black mold).

There is someone occasionally emptying the mail box and the house had an entire concrete patio put in at some point because the hillside was starting to collapse and needed reinforcement, taking part of the patio with it. I don't know how old that is but it looks like it could have been poured yesterday. My neighbors say it was done in the last few years.

The story goes that about 10 years ago they were doing non-permitted improvements to it. At the same time another neighbor was doing permitted work and had inspectors from the city coming by to take a look. He went and warned the home owner that they were coming by and the homeowner basically dismissed him and said they'd be fine. Well, city came and shut them down and that's basically it. The place hasn't been touched since. There's a Sony VEGA tube tv sitting on the floor upside down. :rofl:

I ran a report on the house and it looks like it was last sold in 1977 and taxes haven't been paid on it since 2015. There's a lien on the house now for the taxes totaling $1300. So basically not an amount that anyone would lose a house over but then again, why would they let a lien be placed on the house instead of paying them?

I'd like to see if they want to sell the house. Is there a right way to contact them? I was thinking of just leaving a letter in the mailbox that they get the next time they empty it but I'm not sure the registered owner is actually seeing that mail.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Possibly reach out to the city? See if it was financed and paid off? i assume it probably has been paid off if there was no foreclosure after 10 years. Maybe it was an older couple who passed away with no family left? Idk. The city may have a contact info though, or the name of who used to be paying the taxes on the property up until 2015.

If it is in such a terrible state I am surprised it has not been condemned by the city already and auctioned.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
As mentioned, I would begin at the tax assessor's website. You can get the owner name and possibly a current address.

After that, it's detective work to get the phone number and other info. Google search the name, especially if it is unusual and follow the leads.

If you get a phone number, call them and ask. If not, you could send a letter to their current address or to the house itself (I'd send to both). Leaving a letter in the mailbox is a federal offense, BTW, punishable by up to a $5,000 fine for individuals who put anything in a box.

Since they live next door to you, other methods of contact include speaking with the mail delivery person for any clues they may have or, better still, running out to talk with whoever picks up the mail.

If they end up being in town/in State, you may want to take a ride to their home if other methods fail.

...or you can ask a Realtor to do it for you.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
$5000 fine for putting anything in a box you say? Well I could owe a decent amount of money

i don't think you're allowed to touch that thing brotato. like a business card outside on the flag i believe is also a no no. so if you're leaving stuff door to door, better to use a door hangar or put something on the driveway. how effective either of this are for a business, if you do them i hope you know how effective they are for you!

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I cannot stand the assholes that put things on doors especially when they just blow off and litter everywhere. I'll go out of my way to never go to their place of business/use their services.

I'd say send a letter to them vs putting something in their box.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I hate solicitors. I wish Elgin would ban them. Every fucking day something is hanging on my front door, wedged between the door/door frame, in my mailbox flag (last night some cash cabana advertisement), or when the landscaping companies put a rock and some dirt in a zip lock bag with their info throw it in your driveway...

Seriously, I can figure out who I need when I need it. I don't need your solicitation from canvasing the neighborhood. The kids the pay to do it (if not them themselves), walk through your yard, flower beds, etc, to take the quick way out. Plus just in general having strangers lurking around your house.

I have signs out for "No solicitation" but yet it's ignored.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info