L.A

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Both places are good and bad. Both places you get nothing for your money in terms of housing. In LA a 400k house could be a falling down shack needing 90k in rehabs. Same for NY. A 700 SQ FT studio apartment could be more than my mortgage payment for my 2700 square foot house.

LA has really nice weather year round, minus the Smog.

You will sit in traffic until you die in LA though.

dartmorth

Apr 13, 2017
Both places are good and bad. Both places you get nothing for your money in terms of housing. In LA a 400k house could be a falling down shack needing 90k in rehabs. Same for NY. A 700 SQ FT studio apartment could be more than my mortgage payment for my 2700 square foot house.

LA has really nice weather year round, minus the Smog.

You will sit in traffic until you die in LA though.
They have a train though right?

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
it all really depends on your lifestyle and if your comfortable with their not being a good bang for you're buck yes the weather is great out in l.a and the whether just sucks up in nyc for the most part if i had to chose i'd go with l.a. i'd rather have some warm consistent weather than all the seasons that n.y. has to offer i hope that helps

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
2k won't get you much in LA. You severely limit the areas in which you can live.

As for it being too hot... I guess that's a matter of preference. Generally the hottest months are August and September when it is in the 90's/ low 100's inland about 50% of the time. It's cooler towards the ocean. Other than that, it's pretty much always temperate. Mid 60's to mid 80's would be the majority of the weather. Do you consider that hot?

The two cities couldn't be more different. I think NY is a cold, dirty shit hole and for the life of me I can't fathom why people pay the amount of money they do to live there. LA has lower taxes (for most moderate incomes), much nicer weather, more things to do outside and it's just fucking gorgeous. You seriously have no idea how much the crappy Illinois winters depress you until they don't any longer. I've been hiking all through the winter and it's been green and beautiful. I drive around in February with my windows down and it's warm. You don't care that it gets dark at 4:30 in the winter when it's also not -20 outside.

If you put any value in outdoor living or not having to hibernate for half the year LA is the place for you.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Here is a winter hike I took last week. That's not smog either. It's an inversion layer that traps in mostly water vapor (and smog).

a820f4f4b7015e214c9a9454656dc133.jpg

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I've always liked the areas I've been to around the L.A. area. Anywhere near the ocean and anywhere in/near the mountains (which is one of L.A.'s issues, they're kinda land locked by geography vs. say Chicago), is going to be more expensive.

Outside of that, L.A. is very much like Chicago in terms of size and never ending suburbia, traffic, crime, etc, albeit with nicer weather year round. I don't find it to hot there, unless you're really going inland. Keep in mind, everything will be more expensive out there, especially costs related to cars and driving. And don't forget, their emissions policies will make you appreciate Illinois's (although being in Rockford, you're probably not really subjected to that anyway). Then you'll be subject to water restriction usages (although that has been lifted with all the rains they've had lately), and even more political B.S. than here. You'll also be subjected to a lot of human stupidity in terms of political viewpoints and social programs. Remember, this is the state that wants to cede from the rest of the union...

San Diego is nice too. Probably even better weather, but the Chicagoan in me wants the bigger metropolitan area. Think of L.A. and San Diego as what Chicago and Milwaukee are.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
$2k a month doesn't even get you much in the decent parts of Chicagoland!!

Eh I dunno about that. Taxes are the biggest factor in the overall mortgage price.

For instance our home was close to 300K with 6500 in taxes and we pay just under 2k per month for 2700 square feet and a 3-1/2 car garage.

I would consider that a pretty good size for the money. Move my home 10 miles north and its prob 500k in naperville.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Eh I dunno about that. Taxes are the biggest factor in the overall mortgage price.

For instance our home was close to 300K with 6500 in taxes and we pay just under 2k per month for 2700 square feet and a 3-1/2 car garage.

I would consider that a pretty good size for the money. Move my home 10 miles north and its prob 500k in naperville.

Right. I should of said the "closer" areas of Chicagoland. You can get a good amount for your money if you're willing to head out a bit into the burbs.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info