Awesome deal on a Smart WiFi Thermostat

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
[MENTION=127]wombat[/MENTION] sent me a link yesterday about a sale comed was doing on the Ecobee3 smart thermostat with a remote temperature sensor.

These are regularly $200-250 and comed is doing an instant $100 off making it $100 out of pocket and Nicor also is doing a $50 mail in rebate as well making it $50 for a $200+ thermostat homekit.

Jump on this while it's still around if you want to replace or upgrade your thermostat!

https://www.comedmarketplace.com/co...ts/ecobee3-homekit-enabled-with-remote-sensor

Rebate info for Nicor and comed: (ignore comed if you go through their marketplace, they take the $100 off instantly after verifying you have comed service)

a9d54aa0bf99e4a0718d3ace08605c5b.jpg

fdf2065c4cfe69f88e5e9d38646a7891.jpg

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
has anyone had any issue getting the rebates?? I'm thinking about ordering from Comed for insta rebate and then applying for Nicor rebate
I'm going this route as well.
Going to have to go home tonight and see if I'm compatible...
It will work with all furnaces. If you don't have the C wire you'll just have to add a power supply to the unit which I believe comes with it.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
The video shows you only connecting wires at the HVAC unit to the powersupply, and reusing all of the existing wires. And not running any new from HVAC unit to thermostat. Am I wrong?
Now I don't know lol. Maybe it does uses existing wires and just pumps extra voltage through them and that's why the power supply is mounted near the hvac

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
You run a wire from the power supply to the thermostat for the missing C voltage.

Now I don't know lol. Maybe it does uses existing wires and just pumps extra voltage through them and that's why the power supply is mounted near the hvac

OK just rewatched. There should be an R wire (RC), that you connect at the thermostat. Then you go to the HVAC unit itself, and the power adapter brings in the R wire, and does whatever magic (probably just splicing the R wire) and you get a separate R and C wire to connect to the HVAC unit. I'm assuming if your HVAC unit doesn't have a C connector, the unit won't work?

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
OK just rewatched. There should be an R wire (RC), that you connect at the thermostat. Then you go to the HVAC unit itself, and the power adapter brings in the R wire, and does whatever magic (probably just splicing the R wire) and you get a separate R and C wire to connect to the HVAC unit. I'm assuming if your HVAC unit doesn't have a C connector, the unit won't work?

Just run a C wire...its easy. You buy the 5 wire thermostat wire, tape it to the end of your current 4 wire thermostat wire, and pull it through.

You would need your HVAC unit to have a C wire connection.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Most furnaces should have the C wire. Not having it is usually just for super old shit.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info