Flooring Experts - Chime in please

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
So, long story short, my in-laws bought laminate flooring through Homey Depot and used their 3rd party contracting service to do the install. I would have installed it, but, their association of their house requires a legalized company with over a two million dollar insurance policy to do the work.

Fast forward, they pay nearly 2K for materials and labor for <400 SQ FT for the flooring. The guys get there today, I'm at work BTW and my wife called to tell me. The two workers ripped the carpet and are now saying the floor is not level, they can't install the laminate, etc. Apparently, they were VERY nice, but, this added $2,000 more to pour concrete. In total, this is over 3K for labor.

My question is - Is pouring concrete for <400 SQ FT THAT expensive to cost 2K?

UPDATE - Homey Depot apparently received a call from the workers and quoted them these prices.

Thank you
-Chris

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Is this over a slab/concrete floor or is it plywood?

Realistically, they should be fine leveling it off with self leveling compound, I'd tell them to pound sand with that pricing, but it sounds like the association is the ones really screwing them over since they cant do their own repairs.

When we leveled the garage in my parents house it was less than 2k and that was like 3" thick in some areas.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Right now, the concrete was bare and they are dropping new concrete on top of it and charging 2K for it.

Don't know specifics of how thick or actually how much, but, I know when I'm working at my friends doing laminate over concrete, we grind down the high spots, fill in the holes/gaps as needed and so far, 500 SQ FT has leveled perfectly.

Too late now, they already agreed to it and paid the contractors/home depot the extra amount.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
^ That's what I said. In-laws said they called Home depot while there, explained it, then home depot told my parents it's another 2K and boom, done. They are not well off by any means and this will be expensive.

Not to mention, the padding helps with leveling as well and laminate is meant to have a small amount of flexibility vs. traditional hard wood flooring.

The fact that they agreed to this and told us after they told the workers to start bugs me.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
My floor was very unlevel in the room I just did, bought 3 boxes of leveling compound and straightened it out, I wouldn't pour concrete to level it just floor leveler, it dose need to be somewhat level even with the under laminate mat, I'd also not tell the association anything about the new floor and do it myself lol

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
My floor was very unlevel in the room I just did, bought 3 boxes of leveling compound and straightened it out, I wouldn't pour concrete to level it just floor leveler, it dose need to be somewhat level even with the under laminate mat, I'd also not tell the association anything about the new floor and do it myself lol

Exactly. The room I did took four bags of leveling compound. bought four homer buckets, rolled out the epoxy crap that preps the floor, next day filled the buckets, mixed the compound, poured the entire bedroom from 1/2" in the deepest corner, to feather thin at the doorway.

Piece of cake.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
the floor needs to meet a flatness tolerance throughout. It should say on the box, usually its like 3/16" every 10'. You can fill any dips or valleys in the slab with self leveling concrete. Sounds like they want to top the entire floor. If you dont fill the voids, you will have a bouncy floor that can separate down the road.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
More news...

Apparently, from 7:30 in the morning, these guys managed to move furniture, rip the old carpet and matting up, grinded and filled in cracks, but, then came to the realization new concrete needed to be poured.

So, for attempting to patch up cracks in the concrete, small holes and pour new concrete for less than 400 SQ FT, it's 2G's more.

Oh well, my wife's parents, I'll let them make their bed.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
We had a similar thing in our townhome. We couldn't install lamenate as the floor was uneven so we just bought hardwood since that can be installed on uneven floors. For only 400sq/ft it would probably be more cost effective and better over all to buy hardwood flooring instead of trying to even out with concrete. Just my opinion. Plus hardwood is much nicer overall.

BTW, same process. They delivered laminate, came out, ripped carpet, discovered floor problem, called HD and had them take back laminate, bought hardwood, they delivered, came out, and installed it.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
This sounds all too familiar...

I pulled up the carpet and tile on the main floor in my house, approximately 420sq ft to lay down floating bamboo hardwood. When i got the carpet and tile out I needed to grind down some sections of the floor and then lay new self leveling concrete. At the time I wasn't sure if I could do it myself so I called a few places. The quotes were $2500-3500 and that was just fixing the concrete.

Needless to say I said F that and rented a couple machines and did it myself. It wasn't bad except the mess the concrete grinding made. Between all the tool rentals and the self leveling I think I put in just shy of $1000.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info