Newly declassified nuclear weapons test videos

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
And these tests are all really low yield bombs. 20-50kiloton, and we have weapons way into the megaton range.

The destructive power of the weapons are chilling.

If any of you guys like history, check out Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast. It's very long format (4+hour episodes) and they are absolutely great to listen to. Think of it like an audiobook. He recently did one about the Cold War and nuclear weapons. By far my favorite episode. WELL worth the listen, even if you just consume part of it.

https://youtu.be/qwv42jCT09w

Hardcore History 59 The Destroyer of Worlds

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
The Tsar Bomba is ridiculous. It had/has no practical application because of the sheer size and weight, but it's ridiculous nonetheless.

As I typed that...I realized, if some well financed terror group were to be able to get their hands on the Tsar Bomba transport it, it wouldn't be by plane, it would be by boat/container ship. Here is the results, in New York (at the main harbor/docks) at the 50MT as tested...this isn't even the potential 100MT potential yield.

h8cvaQ2.jpg

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Well, I see where I lived out there, working your way from the biggest circle in, one of the locations (Hillsdale, NJ), would have a ton of radiation, the second place, Little Ferry, NJ (next to Hackensack), would be in the second gray'ish circle.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Well, I see where I lived out there, working your way from the biggest circle in, one of the locations (Hillsdale, NJ), would have a ton of radiation, the second place, Little Ferry, NJ (next to Hackensack), would be in the second gray'ish circle.

Here is the explanation of the largest ring....

Third degree burns extend throughout the layers of skin, and are often painless because they destroy the pain nerves. They can cause severe scarring or disablement, and can require amputation. 100% probability for 3rd degree burns at this yield is 13.6 cal/cm2.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Tsar Bomba. Was a 100MT nuke and they only tested it at half yield, so yes, 50MT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar_Bomba

"It has been estimated that detonating the original 100 Mt design would have released fallout amounting to about 25% of all fallout emitted since the invention of nuclear weapons."

jebus

fascinating from a technology and science perspective

terriffying to think that anyone anywhere would be able to drop something like this, would easily turn chicagoland into nothing.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Here is the explanation of the largest ring....

So you're saying I would have third degree burns and not even feel it...

I think I will pass.

I remember growing up in the cold war world, and my Mother telling me what would happen in the event of a nuclear war (other than M.A.D.), on how major metropolitan areas (obviously we live in one), and military and industrial complexes would be primary targets... Quite chilling...

Then after explaining to my kids this past weekend, after them seeing those newspapers I posted, what that was all about, their complete lack of understanding what the world was like before they were born. Explaining to them what our atomic bombs did to Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The best thing was, my wife later looked at her iPad and my son had looked up "effects of an nuclear bomb..."

ChrisRac

Still not Italian
TCG Premium
Jan 31, 2008
Gilbert, AZ
Real Name
I Think That’s Obvious

I grew up in that area too... my city would be decimated if a nuke went off in NYC. (I grew up in Stamford.)

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Remember that's a 50MT blast. By far and away, the largest bomb ever detonated. The US' largest bomb ever detonated was "only" 15MT or so.

Chances are, if a terror group ever got a hold of a bomb, it would be in the 1-1000 kilton range at most (because they probably couldn't get their hands on a thermonuclear device that drove up the yields)...probably similar to the Hiroshima/Nagasaki yield, which would make that graph look VASTLY different

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
No matter how big, if a nuke goes off, a LOT of people will die.

What's scary is there are people who wouldn't think twice about using one. Thank God they aren't the ones who have them.

Hopefully, Earth's people get civilized to the point where weapons as powerful as this are removed to outer space (just in case - aliens).

Even better, maybe some super genius can come up with a defense before a terrorist gets one.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info