Nest/Smart Home users

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Sense Home Energy Monitor Review & Rating | PCMag.com

I wonder how long it will take to make back the cost of the Sense ($299) and purchase cost of new appliances to replace the power hogs? Definitely worth it if the Sense shows how to save money quickly. Not as much if it takes years to pay off. As a gimmick for seeing power consumption, it's cool. I would like to know how much my A/C, electric heater and pool cost to run. pcmag mentions the device doesn't convert to dollars so you'll have to do that on your own.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
I think this would be cool just for the monitoring capabilities. Not sure how much savings it would be as I don't know that I would adjust any behaviors. Very curious how many "signatures" it is able to determine and how many unknown devices come up. I also wonder if the insteon switches which communicate through both power lines and RF will interfere with anything.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Hate the new Comed smart meter. EVER since we got it installed, our bill is higher despite having a new AC which is more efficient than our previous 17 year old one as well as a good furnace.

The nest stuff is pretty good. We are thinking of getting the Nest outdoor cam and possibly the smoke detectors since all are monitored/controlled by an app, which is cool.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Hate the new Comed smart meter. EVER since we got it installed, our bill is higher despite having a new AC which is more efficient than our previous 17 year old one as well as a good furnace.

The nest stuff is pretty good. We are thinking of getting the Nest outdoor cam and possibly the smoke detectors since all are monitored/controlled by an app, which is cool.
There are known models that inaccurately cacluclate the electical up to 500% increase from actual

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info