What do you do with tailgaters?

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
As the title says,

What do you do with people that MUST tailgate?

I get more upset if I'm at a stop light and people just have to absofuckinglutley get right on your ass and stop.

I tend to test people and will inch up, and sure enough, a lot of them inch up too even if I do it 6-8 times.

What do you think is a good deterrent?

I've put it in reverse a couple of times and backed up toward people to where they start to honk and then when I go forward, they stay back.

That and I go through several bottles of windshield solvent every month, more than I should :)

Let's try and keep this on topic as much as we can.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I had an 'incident' with someone last year that was tailgating/road raging.

Long and short; I am readily aware that IL law states that rear-ending someone generally means the person in the rear is at fault. The front of the other persons car was ruined.

NORMALLY, I just engine brake/slow until they go around me as to avoid stressing myself. If its a single lane of traffic, I still do the same.... If they are that impatient or can't take the hint, they can dive out into oncoming, I don't really care.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I hate this. I don't get what you need to be so close for when we're stopped at a light.

I've put it in reverse many a times. Usually (being in a Suburban), their eyes get wide as saucers, when I blip the throttle (while I'm on the brakes in reverse)... It works even better when I have my very large adjustable hitch in the receiver too.

The other morning, I had some old codger in some rinky dink little shitbox park on my bumper at 25 & 38. I had a ton of room in front of me, because I don't feel the need to be on someone elses ass at a light, so I inched forward. So did he. So I made it a point to goose the throttle forward, to make the point that I am trying to get away from you. He seemed to get the hint, because he didn't pull up any further.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Depends what kind of mood I'm in. Sometimes I'll just coast and drive real slow. Sometimes I'll do brake checks.

When I used to have my 96 Blazer and didn't care about it...I'd do massive brake checks, as I didn't care if I got rear ended. Had some weiner in a BMW M3 have to swerve into a curb once...would have loved to see what his wheel looked like after that.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Great responses so far.

I've gone to the point where I'll do 10 MPH in a 45 for long periods of time of the guy won't get off my ass.

Women do it a lot it seems. Had one broad in a new MDX ride my ass like no tomorrow and after I put it in reverse after giving her several hints of moving forward, she tossed her hands up and laid on the horn. After that, she stayed FAR away.

I do want to brake check, but, I am worried my Durango will get hit by a POS car without insurance if I do that. I try to just let them be, but, sometimes it is impossible.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Just last night, going down College Green (leaving Meijer), going around the roundabout there, some doosh in what looked like a newer camry got right up my ass. Mind you, I am doing the speed limit or more. Get to the next stop sign and figure, I'll roll through to get some space from this asshat. Nope, he rolls through right behind me. Turn onto Annandale, and sure as shit, he's right on my bumper. He finally turned left at a cross street, but seriously WTF do you need to be that close to me for? If you rear end me in that, YOU'RE gonna lose... Not me.

DOC-Z

Chickun maka LOUSY housspaat!
Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
I get this CONSTANTLY and it pisses me off. I keep slowing down, figuring, the closr they get the slower I go. I mean, if I have to stop suddenly, if we are doing 50 or 30, the damage would be less at slower speeds.

Besides, I was taught in traffic safety school the 2 second plus rule.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I don't tailgate at a stoplight that's pointless. We are stopped no one is going anywhere just chill.

However if you are a left lane asshat doing 55mph with no one in front of you on the hwy driving the same speed as someone in the slower right lanes so I cannot pass it's freaking game on. I'll blind you with my brights and get right up on you. I hate inconsiderate lane hoggers

This seems to happen all the time on my way home from work. Rush hour traffic and fucking soccer mom on her cell phone talking to the guy she's cheating on her husband with blocking my lane.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
^^^ I agree with that to a point. If I'm already doing 10MPH+ over the limit, be patient and wait for me to pass the guy in the middle lane going slow as hell. I'll come to a complete stop on the highway if someone decided to ride my ass, flash their brights, honk, etc.

Tailgating regardless of what the person is doing is stupid. You're asking for trouble. This is a good reason for me to buy a rear dash cam so I can record said stupidity.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
The only thing that pisses me off more than someone tailgating is the asshole that takes up both lanes so you can't pass (when it's a merge) They get out of their one lane to take up both.
I was stuck in traffic an hanging out in the intersection and didn't want to be hit so I went to a lane over and some dick head literally came an inch away from my car while merging because he didn't want me in front of him.
Fuckers

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Doesn't bother me. I go about my day and don't worry about it.

I try this so much. But sometimes its like :fu:

Now that I'm old and wiser I try to avoid confrontation. I had a guy get out of his truck and bang on my window a few months back. He pulled in front of me maybe 5 cars ahead of me when i was doing 50. I just weaved around
And he rode my ass til we stopped.

It took everything I had to not unholster and shove Walther in his face, I don't need that shit...

Just slow down and let em pass. What really gets em is when you smile at them.

DO NOT FLIP THEM OFF, instead smile or make a eating vagina suggestion. It really gets their jollies going

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I keep washing my windshield until they get the point. About the only reason I'm not doing 10 to 15 mph over the limit is if there is another car in front of me, and I don't hang out in the left lane unless I'm passing someone (or turning left soon).

I also keep a bright LED Maglite in my car and have shined that in someone's face in a few confrontational instances, which is particularly effective at night. I also have front and rear dash cams in the event someone does something exceptionally stupid.

HeavyG

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 3, 2007
i've noticed that most people do it unintentionally, i dont let it bug me.

the next thing you know, your on the news for getting your car shot up on the 290.

Seriously, nowadays I try to keep my temper down and try to be friendly to all.....

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
I'm not a left lane hog and I usually average 5-10 over so there is no reason to tailgate me.

It all depends on my mood and the offending driver/car. During the daytime, I'll flip on my headlights to light up the rear lights, they brake suddenly and its hilarious. Or I'll toss it in manual mode and downshift to a crawling pace without ever touching the brakes.

I once had this Hyundai Sonata tailing me while approaching an exit, this was a very tight clover (speed limit 20), but its banked nicely... I whipped it in 3rd and stuck that corner around ~60, watched that FWD junk understeer straight as an arrow nearly into the curb, they had to brake hard as fuck. Made my fucking week.

ChrisRac

Still not Italian
TCG Premium
Jan 31, 2008
Gilbert, AZ
Real Name
I Think That’s Obvious
If I'm at a light, I don't care. In a state where about 1 in 3 cars has a weapon in it, I try not to piss off too many people.

If I'm driving and they're on my ass, its a different story. I'll brake check/drive slow like the rest of you so they either get the hint to back up or go around me.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
Most of you guys are just little bitches :rofl:

OMG TOO CLOSE TO ME AT A STOPLIGHT!!! GOTTA PUT IT IN REVERSE TO GET THEM TO NOT BE TOO CLOSE...WHILE STOPPED CAUSE THAT WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!

Y'all need to lighten up. Who gives a shit. If they hit you, you're getting paid...Unless you are driving uninsured...

or they are uninsured.

im still waiting on my deductable back form when i was hit just after christmas 2015

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info