Garage and concrete floor polishing

LoveSpank

JTICE
Mar 13, 2012
Oswego
To all of those thinking of making a statement with your garage floor or even any concrete floor. Think about polishing it!! I have been playing with the idea of finishing concrete floors. And now it's happening. Polishing your current floor is a great option to think about. Also depending the size I could be in and out in a day. No drying time that comes with paints or epoxies. Coatings come off, leave tire marks, and require maintenance. Polished concrete is extremely durable, easy to clean, and requires little to no maintenance.

dc310a980bdc6a91f3852942f199f63c.jpg

007d609f34532b2e90d9769a8cf10a72.jpg
f9da0dc2c220cd53dd3c564eb2e8075a.jpg

2d58059bcfe931f8c2b7cd51bd1125fd.jpg

66aee0eec03364b2bb8953aab1ff15d7.jpg

Prices will start at $4 a sqft.

PM me with any questions

LoveSpank

JTICE
Mar 13, 2012
Oswego
My garage floor is old and worn it's very smooth, when it gets wet it's like an ice skating rink I already fall down a lot lol

Here's the deal with slipping. You need to keep flooring clean and dry to make sure you can walk on it safely. Concrete, tile, hardwood, and pretty much any other hard flooring surface you can think of will be slippery under the right circumstances. You need friction. Dirt, dust, and liquids reduce friction. In areas that cannot be kept clean you need something with very high friction to go over the hard surface of the floor, hence rubber stall mats in livestock pens (thick rubber mat over concrete). The concrete on your garage floor has been steel troweled to make it smooth and easier to clean. Exterior concrete is broom finished to give it more texture (higher friction), but makes it much harder to keep clean. There is an actual laboratory test that measures slip resistance using a pendulum and a rubber ball. Steel troweled and polished concrete are very close. If you want to know what your polished concrete will feel like try dragging the sole of a shoe across a panel of glass or granite counter top. Make sure you apply pressure with your hand to simulate bodyweight. It should feel sticky.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Do you clean/etch the concrete before this process? This is one of the reasons I prefer the epoxy (which I have in mine). It covers up the nastiness of oil, coolant and what not that may have dripped down over time and seeped in.

With the Epoxy, yes, if you go cheap (I.E. the Rust-O-Leum kit), you will be re-doing it every couple years. However, after that mistake, I went with the Behr stuff from Home Depot and have only needed to touch up certain areas every now and then.

LoveSpank

JTICE
Mar 13, 2012
Oswego
Do you clean/etch the concrete before this process? This is one of the reasons I prefer the epoxy (which I have in mine). It covers up the nastiness of oil, coolant and what not that may have dripped down over time and seeped in.

With the Epoxy, yes, if you go cheap (I.E. the Rust-O-Leum kit), you will be re-doing it every couple years. However, after that mistake, I went with the Behr stuff from Home Depot and have only needed to touch up certain areas every now and then.
No, no need as I'm grinding the surface down and I have many products to pull the blemishes out of the concrete itself

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info