Here's what i do for dollars.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I know you came in expecting gay for pay webcam thread but....

Made a post in bored thread after being asked about it, figured i would make a thread. Enough of you guys nerd out about cool stuff and i think this is an interesting place.

[MENTION=7923]CTC DEEZUL[/MENTION]

existing chillers, 3 1300 ton trane variable speed centrifugals.
klgMdAk.jpg

new chillers, 2 2100 ton trane duplex, variable speed centrifugals. there's space and piping connections for two more of them to the left of this photo.
rEfWbo1.jpg

the six existing cooling towers, all stainless Marley NC series. Fans are 10' diameter, 60HP motors on frequency drives. From the ground to the top of the tower is around 25' to give a sense of scale. pipe running across the top is 18". I can't back up far enough to get it all in frame

C97wXJW.jpg

11 new cooling towers, same spec as the old, the risers pipes on these guys are 32". Space for 5 more towers on the concrete basins.

jmfqVyA.jpg

QL22uuB.jpg

existing chilled water pumps, 3 150HP armstrong vertical inline centrifugals. the pumps for the new chillers are the same spec. everything is on frequency drives.

niMBSrm.jpg

New condenser pumps for new cooling towers. 3 300HP armstrong vertical inline, again on frequency drives. The strainer (grey vertical tank looking thing) is 7' tall for scale. the large horizontal green pipe to the far right is a 52" header.

U4lObbu.jpg

existing condenser pumps. 2 Taco 175HP and one Armstrong 175HP

E3YpulN.jpg

there is a lot of other equipment here as well, two electrical rooms full of switchgear and frequency drives, a few air handlers, centrifugal separators, a couple plate and frame heat exchangers the size of cars, piping vault where everything comes in and out of the building to feed the chilled water loop underground.

that's what i do. Operate, fix and maintain all this stuff. The place runs itself for the most part and i only spend 2-3 hours here daily unless there's a bigger job that consumes more time. I float between four other buildings as well, 500k ish square feet of office, laboratory, experimental halls. Tons of equipment on the service floors and sprinkled through those buildings.

The chiller plant exists primarily to cool our existing supercomputer Theta. at the moment it's the 5th most powerful computer in the world. The new stuff is an expansion in preparation for a new computer being built, Aurora which will be 20x more powerful than Theta. The excess capacity of the plant is used for process and comfort cooling for roughly half of the laboratory.

this is the bland precast concrete building. yay! Cooling towers are exact opposite of where the pic is taken from.

HOGgu3b.jpg

google erf. If you go to the waterfall glen forest preserve in lemont/darien you can walk right up against the fence line at the back of my plant. The trail is 10 miles and follows the outside boundary of the laboratory. This place is a small city.

aB2W64B.jpg

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
it's a new building, 6 years old, so i'm lucky not having to deal with things being retrofit 100 times over as they've been repaired

Thats always nice. The biggest pain in the ass when I was working at the packing plant was they had a main building from forever ago, and then just kept adding on and adding on as they could buy neighbors land and slowly expand... Sucked at times trying to mesh the new with the old.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
There are many times where I wish I would have gotten into a profession where I get my hands dirty, something like engineering. I would love to work with moving parts and things of that nature.
Sure it's nice until it's middle of summer or winter and you are either freezing your ass off or sweating balls while office people are comfortable as fuck all day.

But on the nice days I love being able to be outside compared to an office worker being stuck inside.

Like everything, it has its positives and negatives. You also have more hazards and more worries about being injured on the job with those gigs.

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
d0e82e36bf71e2db8f07476530fddd01.jpg
. This is a new district High Temp Hot Water system going in for a local University, its 450psi and 450deg

09f1ab89fdbaefe3f6da8c8f932624d3.jpg

Bore jacking 30" casing under Halsted in Chicago

6486bc00d1efffd573119958bf3ebea8.jpg

65c4b6de7407d7c3037d5c462bf84df3.jpg

4eb51528534d3182231a7a137e95919d.jpg

60" water line along I90

09157d9d42b92fa60efec531393722ce.jpg

Indec HTHW Generator control upgrade to AD Control Logix

9a4e2e02914707ffef16df0fdef5d1f6.jpg
96eb33588a43d3a63c3747d9cb7ac548.jpg

[MENTION=111]OffshoreDrilling[/MENTION] good to know we are in same field.

I have run through many aspects of the HVAC industry, now a Gen Super for a Chicagoland Mechanical contractor.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
There are many times where I wish I would have gotten into a profession where I get my hands dirty, something like engineering. I would love to work with moving parts and things of that nature.

i enjoy it for now, i want to get behind a desk by 40 though. 29 and already feeling the aches and pains of abusing myself.

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
started at 19 and i'm now 29. was in 597 running service at the beginning. I don't think i could do desk 100% of the time, id like to be out and about but not swinging a wrench

It's been about 6yrs since I have been turning wrenches and my body thanks me for it, my field time is spent with coordination, QC and working with sub's.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Sure it's nice until it's middle of summer or winter and you are either freezing your ass off or sweating balls while office people are comfortable as fuck all day.

But on the nice days I love being able to be outside compared to an office worker being stuck inside.

Like everything, it has its positives and negatives. You also have more hazards and more worries about being injured on the job with those gigs.

I meant more of an inside engineering job. At the company I used to work, the engineers got to draw up and design cool things. It wasn't really back breaking type work, mostly machinery design to cut/slice sapphire. I wouldn't want to work outside with my pasty ass. I'd spend a fortune in sun block.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info