Looking for tattoo artist recommendations for my son

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Hey TCG, my son is looking to get a pretty significant tattoo done soon after he turns 18 here in a bit over a week. Anyone out there with first hand experience able to recommend good artists? NW burbs would be ideal, but if moving further out is required, then I'm sure he'd consider that.

He's still seeking out the exact artwork he wants to use, but he has ideas. He asked me to start the post and will reply here shortly with some examples.

Thanks boys and girls!

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
*I think* he's looking for something like this, but with a couple other things incorporated, but all in black ink:

4bcf0bba02b311e4125f3e8431163463.jpg

black-wing-tattoo-arm-for-men.jpg

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
[MENTION=340]Eagle[/MENTION] good friend of mine strictly goes to Rod at Vanity Tattoo.
he has had both arms done in full sleeve. he wants to get either a back piece or chest piece to tie them togther soon.

would you like me to text you pictures of my buddys arms. i think i still have your number.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
[MENTION=340]Eagle[/MENTION] good friend of mine strictly goes to Rod at Vanity Tattoo.
he has had both arms done in full sleeve. he wants to get either a back piece or chest piece to tie them togther soon.

would you like me to text you pictures of my buddys arms. i think i still have your number.

Go for it! Thanks!

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood

Rod is pretty fucking good especially on black and shading!
Marco at Big Head tats in Elgin is also pretty good with black and shading

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
A couple things here.

1. everyone has the best tattoo artist, and they're going to tell you about them(see above posts)

2. do some research and find people doing the style of work you like and dig through their portfolios. Most have their work posted online

3. "next week" isn't a realistic timeframe for a good artist and a piece that size. You're looking at a month or more for getting on their books in a time slot that works for you

4. DO NOT BRING AN EXACT PIECE OF ARTWORK YOU WANT DONE. Unless it's something like a family crest or a piece of art you drew yourself as an artist. Tattoo artists are....artists. Your best result is always going to be from giving them some creative freedom on a design. This is why you find someone with a style you like and give them some basic parameters to guide their design.

5. Good work deserves a good tip, i'm talking at least 20%. It's not a restaurant with some pimple faced kid serving you a beer and a burger. Also good work is not cheap. $400-600 is about what i'd ballpark something like that covering the shoulder and outside of the arm.

good luck!

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
A couple things here.

1. everyone has the best tattoo artist, and they're going to tell you about them(see above posts)

2. do some research and find people doing the style of work you like and dig through their portfolios. Most have their work posted online

3. "next week" isn't a realistic timeframe for a good artist and a piece that size. You're looking at a month or more for getting on their books in a time slot that works for you

4. DO NOT BRING AN EXACT PIECE OF ARTWORK YOU WANT DONE. Unless it's something like a family crest or a piece of art you drew yourself as an artist. Tattoo artists are....artists. Your best result is always going to be from giving them some creative freedom on a design. This is why you find someone with a style you like and give them some basic parameters to guide their design.

5. Good work deserves a good tip, i'm talking at least 20%. It's not a restaurant with some pimple faced kid serving you a beer and a burger. Also good work is not cheap. $400-600 is about what i'd ballpark something like that covering the shoulder and outside of the arm.

good luck!

All great points here..... You don't want a guy who's sitting on his ass waiting for walk-ins to do work... You want the guy that's booked out a month.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
A couple things here.

good luck!

Thanks for the feedback Jared! Not really trying to get it done next week, that's just when he turns 18 and can start to get work done. He's been wanting to do this for 3-4 years now, but now that its close, he's really excited to get an artist nailed down and start working with them.

He did talk to a couple artists about a year ago, and we decided the project would probably take about 1200-1400 to finish correctly - so we are on the same page there.

As for letting the artist ARTIST - completely agreed. Casey (my son) has an idea in his head that he wants someone to bring to life for him. Of course he wants it to look amazing when its done too. Now we just need to find that guy (or gal)!

330xi

Feb 28, 2017
Thanks to everyone for all the feedback! I'm beyond excited to get this process rolling here shortly.

Here is a pretty good example of the work I'm looking to get done.

79fb0346d4df17685abd90961cace1d0.jpg

Strengths in black ink and shadowing I feel will be pretty important.

Thanks again for all the recommendations and other help!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info