Have we finally found life on other planets?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiwA0JrGfjA

https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/21/nasa-to-announce-a-discovery-beyond-our-solar-system-tomorrow/

Exoplanets, those that orbit stars beyond our own Sun are the most likely places that we'll discover extraterrestrial life. On Wednesday, February 22nd, NASA is planning to announce a "discovery beyond our solar system" at a press conference in Washington DC.

There's no word on what the announcement will entail beyond "new findings" on exoplanets, that information is under embargo with the journal Nature until the press conference starts. But given that they're pulling in prominent researchers from around the world to speak, chances are this is going to be a big deal.

NASA will be broadcasting the event live at NASA TV beginning at 1pm ET. Members of the public are encouraged to follow along and ask questions via twitter using the #askNASA hashtag. The agency also plans to hold an AMA on Reddit at 3pm for anyone that wants additional information.

P40E

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2012
It says a planet circling around a different star . So how far is it from our sun to the next closest star ? I bet it is very very very far away .

And if the planet they found is orbiting the closest star to us or another one farther away is another question.

I'm guessing they found a blue planet orbiting around like earth does .

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
It says a planet circling around a different star . So how far is it from our sun to the next closest star ? I bet it is very very very far away .

And if the planet they found is orbiting the closest star to us or another one farther away is another question.

I'm guessing they found a blue planet orbiting around like earth does .

Says beyond our solar system. So closest star is 4.2 light years, 1 light year is 5,878,499,810,000 miles, roughly.

ChrisRac

Still not Italian
TCG Premium
Jan 31, 2008
Gilbert, AZ
Real Name
I Think That’s Obvious
So... another uninhabitable planet that we'll never be able to get to?

giphy.gif

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Thomas Zurbuchen of the Science Mission Directorate at NASA HQ explained:

I am in awe today of the depth and breadth of what we have discovered. Today we can reveal that Dr. Mikhail has used our Spitzer Space Telescope and found that there are seven Earth-size planets, very much like our own, orbiting around the same nearby star about 40 light years away.

Three of them have the right atmospherical conditions on them suggesting that there could be water on any one of these planets.

This discovery gives us a hint that finding a second earth is not just a matter of if, but when. How many worlds out there are there that could be habitable?

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Well, that's the thing about traveling outside our solar system. There is no reason to develop technology for it right now, which is why there hasn't been any developments. No one has a destination. If we found a planet that close, that can support life, you can argue that it justifies working on developing technology to go there.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Or more practically, working on engines that could propel us to near light speed.

With our current technology, it would take just under 20,000 years to travel 1 light year.
Eh, trying to obtain near light speed is useless if you just bypass distance all together with a worm hole.

Plus even at light speed it would take 40 yrs to get there.( Interesting part is that the people making the trip would feel like it was 20yrs)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info