How do you prep for an interview

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Just sitting here thinking at work tonight, I had an interview at a company that would be a slight upgrade Thursday and probably went way overboard with my interview prep but it's been 8 years since I've seriously interviewed, I spent a day or two just writing out questions and my answers to them a lot of the common ones and the ones I know I'll be asked, I'm in the chemical/natural gas liquids industry so they have pretty specific questions they ask as well, then I spent 2 hours a day mock interviewing with my wife for the next 3 days she was ready to murder me lol, but I feel the interview went very well, what do you guys normally do for interview prep

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
I am part of the employee interview team at my work and regularly conduct interviews for candidates, from my experience I've learned that regardless of what questions you might be faced with, your answers must follow the STAR model(situation, task, action, result)

Being positive, avoid rambling or wandering off the subject, coming across as confident but not cocky usually nets the best results, provide specific examples of situations you have been faced with, body language is huge since no one wants to hire a person leaning back into their seat.

adamponty

Feb 20, 2015
I agree with izzy. Be sure your answers are in STAR format and don't be worried about follow up questions to your answers. Typically, when you don't answer in STAR format the interviewer asks follow up questions until they are able to check off those boxes.

My wife just had 2 interviews with 2 different companies. She prepped just like you did with STAR format. One interview went exactly as planned ($10B company). The other one was very casual and threw her off a bit ($million company). So, depending on the company , be prepared for some people to be less structured than others.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I agree with izzy. Be sure your answers are in STAR format and don't be worried about follow up questions to your answers. Typically, when you don't answer in STAR format the interviewer asks follow up questions until they are able to check off those boxes.

My wife just had 2 interviews with 2 different companies. She prepped just like you did with STAR format. One interview went exactly as planned ($10B company). The other one was very casual and threw her off a bit ($million company). So, depending on the company , be prepared for some people to be less structured than others.

Funny you say that about having a casual interview throwing your wife off, my industry is strict with interviewing and pretty much anything that has to do with the job, when you work for a company that if you mess up you die they tend to be strict, 50% of the interview revolves around safety and pumping your self up about your safety record, they are also all billion dollar company's so that tends to make them stricter and they start people out in the 6 figure range it's fiercely competitive, all that has me prepping like a mad man and I get there to find out it's a very laid back interview 1 on 1 actually 3 one on one interviews and one 2 on 1 interview, in the past at some of my other jobs I've interviewed with 8 people at a time multiple times and they spend hours just drilling you trying to get you to crack under the pressure

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
Just sitting here thinking at work tonight, I had an interview at a company that would be a slight upgrade Thursday and probably went way overboard with my interview prep but it's been 8 years since I've seriously interviewed, I spent a day or two just writing out questions and my answers to them a lot of the common ones and the ones I know I'll be asked, I'm in the chemical/natural gas liquids industry so they have pretty specific questions they ask as well, then I spent 2 hours a day mock interviewing with my wife for the next 3 days she was ready to murder me lol, but I feel the interview went very well, what do you guys normally do for interview prep

I just went on an interview yesterday. I have actually had about a dozen interviews this past year. The obvious hurdle is the nervousness and anxiety you experience leading up to the actual interview. I like to get to the interview early and basically chill, meditate, listen to some music that will calm you down. Stay off your phone and walk in with a clear conscience. And most importantly smile and be professional. Dress appropriately. I was once told I was overdressed because I came in my suit. LOL.

I also interviewed and hired in the past. Not sure if this has helped me or not because I am still trying to score a job. Sometimes the people that interview you are potatoes and are threatened by you if you are more experienced than they are.

Three of the jobs I was a finalist for, meaning second or third interview, actually hired someone else and less than a year later eliminated it's Midwestern sales force, which would have been me...phew.

Finding a new job has been the hardest thing I have done in my life.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I got lucky with my last two jobs, the previous one the manager was my boss from a previous company for ten years, so my interview was literally him saying I have the job, he just wanted to go out to lunch... :rofl:

My current job, my Mom is the VP and I've known the owner forever so there wasn't even an interview, just a "Can you start in two weeks" so I did.

The upside to never burning your bridges, I still stay in contact with the higher ups from previous jobs just because you never know.

Hope the interview goes well for you OP!

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
My opinion is have a good story, be able to explain your track record, explain times where you've gone above and beyond to contribute to your cause. Emphasize on values that are important to the company you're going to.

In my case I emphasized that I had worked in production server environments before (have to be cautious) that I had adapted well to the environment I was in, I was looking for something new and challenging and that indeed I didn't know all the answers but I have the skills and capabilities to find them out.

10thSVT_03

DRRRT PROSPECT
Feb 28, 2009
My interview prep may sound funny but Inhave a list of questions relevant to the job and I sit in a chair inside the linen closet. Confined space and makes you uncomfortable but you sit down take a deep breath and answer your questions. The interview process is intended to be stressful and for those who have been in the same job for a long time and haven't interviewed it's very stressful. Just answer honestly on what and how you would do things and consider it a conversation and nothing more. That's all an interview is anyway. I've moved up 3 times in the last 16 years with my employer and the interviews get easier every time. It's YOUR interview and you set the tone and the speed of the questions by the speed of your answers.

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
google the questions of what to ask during an interview like yours.
I have literally been in 5 interviews where I was ahead because the HR guy actually just googled what to ask me and since I knew the answers I plowed through it.
My career is technical (software developer) and our knowledge base is so massive it is hard to accurately test. So people just google the most popular questions.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Earlier in my career, I interviewed for the sport of it. Mainly to see what the market was looking for in my chosen career path, but also to be comfortable with the pressure and anxiety it took to interview with a company.

As for prep, research and know the company. Know their business, know a couple recent big events they've marketed for themselves, know any names relevant to the position you possibly can, know EVERYTHING about the role's requirements.

Confidence is key, as mentioned. Arrogance is another thing. Keep both in check properly, and it'll take you a long way.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info