Harvard scientists pledge to bring back woolly mammoth from extinction within two y

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Woolly mammoth will be back from extinction within two years, say Harvard scientists

"Woolly mammoths" could be brought back from extinction within two years, the scientists behind a groundbreaking resurrection project have said.

World-renowned geneticist Prof George Church and his team at Harvard University have been working for the past two years on recreating the DNA blueprint of the mammoth.

They have used DNA from mammoths that were preserved in Arctic permafrost to look for the genes that separated them from elephants, such as those with code for a shaggy coat, big ears and antifreeze blood.

By splicing the mammoth genes into the genome of an elephant embryo, the team believe they can recreate a mammoth-elephant hybrid, which would have all the recognisable features of a mammoth.

And related

Prof Church, a guest speaker at the meeting, said the mammoth project had two goals - securing an alternative future for the endangered Asian elephant and helping to combat global warming.

Woolly mammoths could help prevent tundra permafrost from melting and releasing huge amounts of greenhouse gas into the atmosphere.

“They keep the tundra from thawing by punching through snow and allowing cold air to come in,” said Prof Church. “In the summer they knock down trees and help the grass grow.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clU0Sh9ngmY

MikeyLikesIt

PHEV Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2009
Downers Grove
12-300x225.jpg

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Just doesn't seem like a good idea to me to be bringing back animals that have been extinct for thousands of years.

Now...before SickMint blows a gasket and writes a book, the answer is NO...I have not read multiple studies regarding this topic and do not have data to backup my hunch.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info