How close is CarMax appraisals to normal dealerships?

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Not saying that CarMax isn't a normal dealership but how close are they to what a branded (Chevy, Ford etc) dealership appraises cars at. The reason I'm asking is because I'm considering trading in my truck for a full size SUV and CarMax quoted me $24K for my '13 Silverado crew cab LT2 with 48K on the odometer and a literal truckload of accessories. Any dealership I go to I'll have the CarMax paperwork in hand if that matters as a negotiating tool. Anyone have experience with this?

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Not saying that CarMax isn't a normal dealership but how close are they to what a branded (Chevy, Ford etc) dealership appraises cars at. The reason I'm asking is because I'm considering trading in my truck for a full size SUV and CarMax quoted me $24K for my '13 Silverado crew cab LT2 with 48K on the odometer and a literal truckload of accessories. Any dealership I go to I'll have the CarMax paperwork in hand if that matters as a negotiating tool. Anyone have experience with this?
I dont have experience personally, but have a few friends that do. They told me Carmax came in between $1500-$3000 less than a "normal" dealer.

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
The last 5 cars I or the gf has traded in all went to CarMax first for an appraisal. Sometimes they are higher and sometimes they are lower. It's nice if they are higher because now you have a piece of paper saying what it's at to show the dealer and they always have beat it.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I sold my ram outright to a dealer (no trade). CarMax offered me $18,000 so I posted it on cars.com for $18,500 and a Toyota dealer from southern IL paid me asking price and came and picked it up.

I'm sure if you're doing a trade there's a lot more wiggle room in what a dealer will give you, but if selling outright CarMax seems pretty close to what a dealer would pay, at least in my limited experience

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I've traded in 4-5 vehicles for work and the same-make dealership always has paid more. You might have to shop around, though. And you can negotiate the sell price too. Most dealers can issue a same-day check too. If not, it's taken a week sometimes to get the check.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Don't forget to value in the tax savings if you're trading your car for another one. If you're buying a $50k car, and trading in a $20k car, you're only going to pay the tax on $30k. If you sell to CarMax for $21k and then go buy the $50k car, you're going to pay taxes on the full $50k.

Make sure the numbers work in your favor!

HeavyG

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 3, 2007
was just there, they appraise based on their need for your specific car...and ofcourse, all dealers do that, but with carmax of course theres no haggling...with that....they can kiss my arse !

they wanted to basically give me pennies on the dollar.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
It all depends on the car...If you have something they can sell or want they will give you a good offer. You can get decent offers for some cars and peanuts for others. Something a few years old with under 40K miles that's gas efficient they would probably love to buy. Your 02 WS6 they are going to give you $4,000 for.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I've appraised over 10,000 vehicles for Carmax and I've also bought thousands of vehicles at auctions for them. Sometimes Carmax is going to be higher than our competitors, and sometimes lower. Some factors include current wholesale/auction values, inventory needs, and what our inspection and test drive reveals about your individual vehicle.

It's not for everyone, especially those that enjoy the haggling process. But it's a fine place to start for a quick and easy written offer to buy your vehicle. Many people have ended up selling their vehicle to Carmax after shopping around, and still others have sold their vehicles elsewhere.

It takes about 30 minutes to get a free written offer that's good for 7 days. Taking the time to get it done helps give you more information so that you can make an informed decision.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
I've appraised over 10,000 vehicles for Carmax and I've also bought thousands of vehicles at auctions for them. Sometimes Carmax is going to be higher than our competitors, and sometimes lower. Some factors include current wholesale/auction values, inventory needs, and what our inspection and test drive reveals about your individual vehicle.

It's not for everyone, especially those that enjoy the haggling process. But it's a fine place to start for a quick and easy written offer to buy your vehicle. Many people have ended up selling their vehicle to Carmax after shopping around, and still others have sold their vehicles elsewhere.

It takes about 30 minutes to get a free written offer that's good for 7 days. Taking the time to get it done helps give you more information so that you can make an informed decision.

that is if you get a good sales guy that does not want to have your car appraised. guy i was given to talk to had previously owned a GTP, and he had issues with it, so he tole me mine was worth less than a base model because it needed more maintenance. told me the offer would be about $1,000. for an 05 GTP with 130k.

i sold it a few weeks later for $4,000.00

now i know trade in and private sell are two way different pricing standpoints. but to basically push me out the door the way he did was bullshit.

i had to wait 45 minutes to see someone, and for them to not spend 5 minutes to even walk out the door and look at the car was a slap in the face.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info