Mens Shoes; looking for advice

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I feel a little stupid here; but I'm looking to pickup some new shoes, and am tired of basically destroying them over the course of 3-6 months.

The only 2 pairs I've had survive a significant amount of time are a $180 pair of Timberland boots that made it through 4 winters before the inner fabric started to fray past the point of repair, and a higher dollar pair of Asics ($150) that gave up the ghost last year and I've been through 3 pairs of cheaper Asics since so its time to change gears.

The longest lasting shoes were both purchased from a sporting good store, and ever since I confess I've just been buying from Kohls or Shoe Carnival or whatever, and spending $40-60 on pairs that just don't seem to last. I don't want to blindly spend $100+ on a pair of shoes that are Chinese junk and will still disintegrate after 3 months, so I'm looking for recommendations.

I'm a bigger guy at 250+lbs, and 6'2", as well as I have wide feet, which further limits my options.

I work an office job (Dress code is just Casual thankfully), but I'm still on my feet plenty so comfort is important to me, and I generally never wear shoes that go over my ankles unless its boots. I don't find 'skater' shoes comfortable; nor traditional sneakers and normally wear either walking shoes or black 'work/dress' shoes.

Poking around online I think I'm going to try and find a pair of new balance that I like as they seem to still be made in America in some faint hope that they won't be total junk like my past few pairs of shoes but am 100% open to suggestions/ideas.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
I'm the same size and really like New Balance running shoes for day to day gym shoes. My last pair lasted a solid 4-5 years of daily use, and I still have them for when I cut the grass and stuff. They seem to stock less common sizes as well. I wear a regular-width 14-15. I remember them having wide shoes as well when I was shopping.

For office shoes, I have no idea...I've yet to own a pair that were truly comfortable and durable. I've also never spent more than ~$100 though.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I use new balance most of the time as well, the pair I have on right now look fine and still work for normal walking around but the bottoms are pretty worn out, I ran just shy of 200 miles in them last summer and have been wearing them daily since November when I got new shoes for running, still comfortable and I'm good shape, I find them on Amazon for 60-80 bucks a pair most of the time

MuffHugger

Formerly GTP Mike
Jun 16, 2008
Lil Romeoville
Real Name
Mike
sh262.jpg

https://www.fatbraintoys.com/toy_co...nPrb82yOtL2SPsIU9GQA7kLp-ePLmF9jU4aAgsh8P8HAQ

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
Getting the right size is a big deal. I wear an 11-1/2 or 12 in extra wide EEEE width. If I have a shoe on that's not the right width I'll destroy them within weeks.

Best thing, once you find a decent shoe, immediately go back and buy 1-2 more pairs. Rotate them so you never wear the same pair two days in a row. Your shoes will last a lot longer that way and it gives them time to air out and allows the cushioning to rest. Super important if you don't want premature foot, knee, hip, or back issues.

I have 4 pairs of NB running shoes I rotate for daily bumming around or jobsite days where I'm on concrete and ashphalt all day. 412s for colder days, and 771v2's for warmer days.

Angela@KRWINS

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Jan 15, 2016
McHenry, IL
Paul has had great luck in shopping for dress shoes that have been great investments at DSW (South Barrington or Schaumburg). His best investments have been a pair of dress shoes by Clarks or his Bruno Maglis (OJ's shoe) but he also got some Kenneth Cole stylish casual shoes that he wears all of the time. New Balance is good but I would probably look at Famous Footwear for those if I were you.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
do you care what they look like? honest question.

Before i worked construction I was on my feet all day every day for 60 hours a week as a service advisor.

I was instructed by a prior co worker to look into Danner police boots.

5 years later, they are retired in my closet, but i still wear them from time to time... still feels like the day I got them... literally walking on a cloud.. no feet aches, no back fatigue. Its a typical 6 inch boot with a side zip, but if you are wearing slacks they look normal. best decision i ever made at $190. i was going through shoes every 6 months at 40-50 a pop... sooo the 190 is actually cheaper.

this is what I have.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dan...hUr8IMKHYiaBV0Q_AUIBygC#imgrc=qBvDPDLMbFk0sM:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
do you care what they look like? honest question.

Before i worked construction I was on my feet all day every day for 60 hours a week as a service advisor.

I was instructed by a prior co worker to look into Danner police boots.

5 years later, they are retired in my closet, but i still wear them from time to time... still feels like the day I got them... literally walking on a cloud.. no feet aches, no back fatigue. Its a typical 6 inch boot with a side zip, but if you are wearing slacks they look normal. best decision i ever made at $190. i was going through shoes every 6 months at 40-50 a pop... sooo the 190 is actually cheaper.

this is what I have.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dan...hUr8IMKHYiaBV0Q_AUIBygC#imgrc=qBvDPDLMbFk0sM:

Are these sold in any stores local so I could try them on? I don't especially care how they look so long as they are black and don't make my feet pour sweat.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Danner's are the shit. Expensive as hell though.

I buy whatever has the best price and fits well with a nice cushion from Kohl's. :dunno:

That has not been going well for me for the past few years, which is why I started this thread actually. They just don't last, and I don't much care for shoe shopping every 3-6 months as an extra trip.

It would be one thing if I was single, but every trek into a store with my wife results in 'unnecessary' expenses, if you catch my drift.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info