Recommend me a good DIY or company for garage floor epoxy

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
So, with the new house all but set in stone the first thing I know I want to do is epoxy the garage floor. I used a DIY kit in the past and it didn't turn out all that great. Can someone recommend me a GOOD product to use for me to do it myself, or, a professional to come out and do the prep work and epoxy coating. I want to do it right away so that the garage doesn't get full of shit and it never gets done.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin

Frank Dukes

TCG Elite Member
May 5, 2009
Rockfordia
I want to do it right away so that the garage doesn't get full of shit and it never gets done.

so much this. i wanted to do this at my new house and i did not have time before moving day. that was six months ago.. and i'm not sure it will ever get done now. only plus side is its already full of stains so i don't feel bad when i spill changing oil.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
so much this. i wanted to do this at my new house and i did not have time before moving day. that was six months ago.. and i'm not sure it will ever get done now. only plus side is its already full of stains so i don't feel bad when i spill changing oil.

You can still get it done, those stains don't mean shit, I let my studded snowmobile accidently tear into the garage floor and that damage was magically gone.

Do what I did and just move everything outside the garage and tarp it and hope the honest people stay honest :rofl:

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I had 3-4 professional places come out and this guy had the best price and excellent turnout.

Since its all about the prep... I wouldn't DIY unless you plan on diamond grinding or shot blasting properly, probably requiring someone w/ experience helping make sure you do it right.

Industrial Flooring and Restorations, Inc. - Industrial Flooring and Restorations , Inc.

What size garage and what was the cost if you don't mind me asking? The new house has a 2-car wide, a little over normal depth with a 7x16 workshop-ish area off to the side.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
$3k out the door for 510 sqft + the footings which is probably another 100 sqft

The opposite wall to this pic and to the right has like 2-4' of exposed footing, they also did the step up in the rear of the garage, and the wood stairs and landing that goes into the house.

13237835_10206204147279112_3072962164516273457_n.jpg

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
this wasn't the install pic, just the annual clean the fawkin salt out pic.

also that companies website is pretty bad lol, I was referred to them, drove a couple minutes away to see their work in someone elses garage and decided then. Not even sure I looked at their website while deciding.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Looks awesome! Too much for what I'm trying to accomplish all at once here. Paid off a credit card and some other little shit on top of giving the bank $41,000 on the house that I still have to furnish lol. Looks like the DIY route is the way to go, or, just let it go for a while if the DIY stuff isn't going to adhere worth a shit.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
That's my thought. I'll probably just powerwash it and paint the walls and call it a day for a while. Now that I'm thinking about it it's still going to be cold when I move in, so, I couldn't do it right away even if I wanted to. I don't think the epoxy would like 40* concrete.

The place is in desperate need of some garage lighting upgrades as well. That needs to happen regardless.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
do it in some one part epoxy paint. It'll hold up a long time and cost a lot less. Yeah, it's going to get dinged up over time vs the fancy epoxy but it's way more economical. Clean and etch the floor, roll the paint on, done. Easy enough to paint back over if it gets damaged. The service floors in our buildings are all painted like this and it's held up to commercial level traffic with only a handful of spots popping up after gouging the duck out of it.

we use some sherwin williams branded stuff here, but there is a product called "drylok E1" that seems to have a lot of good reviews. $40ish a gallon

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
That's my thought. I'll probably just powerwash it and paint the walls and call it a day for a while. Now that I'm thinking about it it's still going to be cold when I move in, so, I couldn't do it right away even if I wanted to. I don't think the epoxy would like 40* concrete.

The place is in desperate need of some garage lighting upgrades as well. That needs to happen regardless.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Metalux-SN...ht-Common-8-ft-Actual-2-75-in-x-96-in/3181905

I have 4 of these at the front of my garage and 2 more on a different switch as they are over the garage doors. Garage is like daylight and I love it.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg

2QuikTA

Addict
May 30, 2011
I haven't heard very many good reviews of the store brand or even the Sherwin Williams type stuff. After a bit the story is always the same, it comes up with the tires or chips off. Prep is key and if not done well, it doesn't matter what you're putting down! I was going to go with armorpoxy.com when I do it. Read up on garagejounal.com, their is a a section in the forum just for flooring.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
I did it myself. Etched the concrete with the powdered stuff or granules that you add to water.
I used the rustoleum kits from menards. I left it alone for 4 days and then rolled the epoxy clear coat with added none slip beads.

wet shoes, you can still wipe out if you're not careful. I don't do alot of work in my garage but it's held up for the most part.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info